Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which BANNED BOOK shall we discuss in September?
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's [UK: …Philosopher's] Stone by J.K. Rowling 10 30.30%
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky 6 18.18%
The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big, Round Things by Carolyn Mackler 2 6.06%
The Golden Compass [UK: The Northern Lights] by Philip Pullman 14 42.42%
Candide by Voltaire 16 48.48%
Can Such Things Be? by Ambrose Bierce 10 30.30%
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexandr Solzhenitsyn 12 36.36%
Beloved by Toni Morrison 9 27.27%
The Castle by Franz Kafka 12 36.36%
Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler 6 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2015, 06:53 AM   #16
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyra View Post
I've cast votes for Candide and Can Such Things Be? as they look like the most interesting selections, but I've only read Harry Potter out of all the nominations, so unless Harry Potter or Mein Kampf wins, I'll be participating in the discussion thread just as soon as I manage to find the rules for the book club...
The way the MobileRead Book Club works is pretty simple, really. We start with a nomination thread, followed by a vote (this thread), and the winner is discussed in a third thread on the 20th of the following month. See the Nomination Thread for September to see how we got here. The first post of that thread tell you pretty much everything you need to know to get you started.

Welcome to the Club, and be sure to check out the Literary Book Club as well. The emphasis is somewhat different, but many of the same people participate in both clubs.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:13 PM   #17
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Anybody who votes for Mein Kampf is an unfeeling person who doesn't care about anyone else. This book should never have been allowed. I don't give a dam if this is censorship or not. It's something that is very personal and very hurtful to have it in the list and to have been allowed there. If it's not taken down, then I will be protesting to Alex to deal with it. What I would like to say about the people who nominated/voted for this book would get me banned from MR. And I feel very sorry for this book club when it's leader is allowing this to be here. This is something that needs to be addressed and addressed now! I never thought anyone on MR could be so mean and nasty.
The option is always open for people to simply not read a book if it arouses particular sensitivities. It makes perfect sense that this would actually happen when we are deliberately nominating books that have been banned. And we haven’t restricted the category to books that were banned for what most would universally accept as stupid reasons. The category is simply “banned books.”

It’s my sense that there is no one here who has been lurking in the club awaiting the opportunity to read an evil work by an evil man because they’re seeking some input and coaching on how to encourage fascism and genocide. Nor is anyone trying to be mean and nasty to others. The club seems pretty interested in reading banned books through the lens of our current world and sensibilities to discuss their literary, historical and possibly political merits. The reason I won’t vote for the book in question is because I have read it and can discuss ad nauseam the frightening horrors it contains. I have no desire to read it again.

There are many topics or themes, sexual abuse being one, that finds its way into many very good books worthy of reading and discussing. However, in the interest of avoiding painful triggers, some individuals bow out of the reading and discussions simply to protect themselves. They don’t accuse everyone who’s interested of being cruel, mean, nasty, insensitive, uncaring, unfeeling etc.

I don’t mind hearing why you’re not interesting in reading something, in fact I appreciate that. Really! But no one in the club benefits from being called names for their reading interests.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2015, 08:00 PM   #18
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Well said ccowie. I considered voting for it since I haven't read it before (only HP from this list) and it could make for an interesting study but decided against it due to the length; the version I looked at is 600+ pages. I don't want to spend that much time reading a work that I would feel sickened by despite my curiosity.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:37 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Am I the only one who sees the irony in calling for a book to be banned when the very subject here is "banned books"? To my mind, "Mein Kampf" is the natural winner in this list, because it has far more justification to be banned than everything else in the list combined.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:13 AM   #20
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Yes, it's ironic. But going beyond that statement would get us into a discussion about politics that is definitely out of scope here. Personally, I have no truck with censorship. Full stop. And no desire to read Mein Kampf.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2015, 05:22 AM   #21
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
I didn’t know Beloved was ever banned...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:02 AM   #22
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
I didn’t know Beloved was ever banned...
Even as recently as 2013 it was called for to be banned:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...e79_story.html
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:15 AM   #23
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Am I the only one who sees the irony in calling for a book to be banned when the very subject here is "banned books"? To my mind, "Mein Kampf" is the natural winner in this list, because it has far more justification to be banned than everything else in the list combined.
Not at all. It and perhaps One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich are the only two books on the list that in my opinion one can argue have been banned in a broad sense as opposed to local efforts to suppress availability, access, or use in education. Just because some religiously motivated, or feminist motivated, or political point of view motivated group got worked up about a book does not really make for much in the term "banned." I mean Harry Potter?!

I did not vote for Mein Kampf during the nomination process or in this ongoing balloting for two reasons. One reason is pretty much what Issybird has stated. This group is probably just not the place to discuss it. My second reason is that having at one time attempted to read it I was unable to finish it not because of the point of view, but because it was just crap writing.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 08-28-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:10 AM   #24
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Even as recently as 2013 it was called for to be banned:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...e79_story.html
One mother demanding a book to be banned from on school’s curriculum does not make it a banned book though, does it?
No it doesn’t, Beloved never was a banned book! (it's a great book though)
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #25
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'd like to see some more love for Can Such Things Be? by Ambrose Bierce; especially seeing as how we have no short story category next year.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:55 AM   #26
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
One mother demanding a book to be banned from on school’s curriculum does not make it a banned book though, does it?
No it doesn’t, Beloved never was a banned book! (it's a great book though)
How about this ban:

http://www.care2.com/causes/banned-b...s-beloved.html

I believe "banned" is the short title for the category. The category also includes challenged books, IMO.

I admit that I assumed it was banned somewhere due to the controversial nature of some of the content.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I did not vote for Mein Kampf during the nomination process or in this ongoing balloting for two reasons. One reason is pretty much what Issybird has stated. This group is probably just not the place to discuss it. My second reason is that having at one time attempted to read it I was unable to finish it not because of the point of view, but because it was just crap writing.
I entirely agree - the writing is truly dire. It's one half largely fictitious autobiography and the other half interminable and incomprehensible ranting about his vision for a new Germany. An extremely tedious book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:27 AM   #28
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
How about this ban:

http://www.care2.com/causes/banned-b...s-beloved.html

I believe "banned" is the short title for the category. The category also includes challenged books, IMO.

I admit that I assumed it was banned somewhere due to the controversial nature of some of the content.
That was my understanding of the category. It's been around a few years and it was always banned/challenged.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #29
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'd like to see some more love for Can Such Things Be? by Ambrose Bierce; especially seeing as how we have no short story category next year.
While I was really hoping for something a bit more modern, and an assured good read, which is why I've been hoping that Golden Compass gets a bit more love. Nothing against either Bierce or Voltaire, but I think Pullman's book will be a more enjoyable read.

Come on, folks, let's give Voltaire a bit of a challenge!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #30
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Hey, Candide is funny and it's short. Free, too. It doesn't get any more enjoyable than that.

This in contrast to the last two months, one of which was prohibitively long, the other prohibitively expensive and neither funny.

Although Bierce would be good, too. Let's do one now, the other in January!
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote