Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #61
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Voting poll is up. It will close on 10-26-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-21-2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Added link to poll.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #62
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'm going to third Halting State by Charles Stross and I'm putting it on my potential reads list because it just sounds so geeky that I'd love it.
Thanks!. I did consider using my (unused) third nomination for that book, but felt that a moderator casting the last vote probably wasn't politic.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #63
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^It would only probably be deemed politic if you edited a previous post to remove a nomination and then throw yours in. But you'd never do that would you.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #64
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Thanks!. I did consider using my (unused) third nomination for that book, but felt that a moderator casting the last vote probably wasn't politic.
But wait are thee a mouse or a moderator?

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #65
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Moderators are members, too. I think we should all be free to participate in the nominations thread. As far as the voting thread, the only holdout should be the currently ringmaster (me), and the only reason for that is to break a tie if need be.

Does anyone feel any different?
Advert
Old 10-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Moderators are members, too. I think we should all be free to participate in the nominations thread. As far as the voting thread, the only holdout should be the currently ringmaster (me), and the only reason for that is to break a tie if need be.

Actually, I feel you should be able to vote as well and if there is a tie at the end, we just get a 3-day run off vote where you then hold off voting just in case of yet another tie.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #67
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, I feel you should be able to vote as well and if there is a tie at the end, we just get a 3-day run off vote where you then hold off voting just in case of yet another tie.
I think that can get too complicated and take too long. I like BOb's solution that he instituted while he was Grand Poobah.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #68
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

I agree....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:11 PM   #69
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Oh, I have nominated. It was just the instance of being involved in tallying votes, and there being one nomination left. Theoretically the moderator doing the tallying could notice this before anyone else, and force the issue by choosing which two-votes book to also nominate.

I'll certainly be voting in the poll.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #70
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
I'll nominate Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke.

http://inkmesh.com/search/?qs=Childh...nE=Find+Ebooks
Why didn't you nominate this earlier? Certainly looks interesting.

Quote:
I think that can get too complicated and take too long. I like BOb's solution that he instituted while he was Grand Poobah.
Actually Jon's suggestion is what we do in the literary club. I like the idea of everyone weighing in if two books receive equal support, but I admit I also like to vote regularly. A tie has happened once so far, the very first month, and it worked out fine with the tie-breaker vote. Of course our votes are shorter - three days for the regular one, one day for a tie-breaker. Bob's plan is certainly simple and no reason for one to break precedent....if one can restrain oneself enough to implement it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Oh, I have nominated. It was just the instance of being involved in tallying votes, and there being one nomination left. Theoretically the moderator doing the tallying could notice this before anyone else, and force the issue by choosing which two-votes book to also nominate.

I'll certainly be voting in the poll.
I agree that all moderators should be free nominate and vote as they wish, but your reasoning sounds wise of you.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #71
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I was very busy. I work graveyard, and had to come in on days Thursday for a class, then double-back and come in at 11:40 PM that evening. It didn't give me a whole lot of time, especially since we reached 10 books in only two days. (Thank whatever Powers-That-Be for dream's help!)

Quote:
Actually Jon's suggestion is what we do in the literary club. I like the idea of everyone weighing in if two books receive equal support, but I admit I also like to vote regularly. A tie has happened once so far, the very first month, and it worked out fine with the tie-breaker vote. Of course our votes are shorter - three days for the regular one, one day for a tie-breaker. Bob's plan is certainly simple and no reason for one to break precedent....if one can restrain oneself enough to implement it.

I agree that all moderators should be free nominate and vote as they wish, but your reasoning sounds wise of you.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #72
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I was very busy. I work graveyard, and had to come in on days Thursday for a class, then double-back and come in at 11:40 PM that evening. It didn't give me a whole lot of time, especially since we reached 10 books in only two days.
I wonder if next month we should restrict people to two nominations each?
Old 10-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #73
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Not sure how that would work. It would probably open up the nomination period for a longer time, but might also result in fewer books receiving enough qualifying nominations. I don't see that either of those results is an actual problem, just what we would probably have to live with.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #74
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I see no reason to. This was an unusual event for me.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #75
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Yes. I was a few minutes too late to get in a third.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote