Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-31-2009, 09:27 AM   #16
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbloom View Post

So I replied to Donn: Donnageddon, i have a better idea. From this moment on, I will never post a new thread here again, I promise, you have my word. I will read other posts, I will comment, but I will not post anything new here as a thread ever ever ever. I think everyone will be happier this way.
Thank you, thank you. You just made my day.
Your lack of internet etiquete is appaling. This spam wall of boring and irrelevant posts on the forum dedicated to news is irritating.
I even think, putting in the news section an alert that some blogger said so and so is kinda stupid, unless it's endgadget and with something substantial about new device. Musing of hungover blogger or proffessor who just discoverd internet imho is not the news. But last is just me.

The least you can do is to contain it in one thread.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:29 AM   #17
danbloom
Banned
danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: The Bindle: no batteries, hand-cranked pages, mobile, underlineable
thread closed now

Last edited by danbloom; 11-13-2009 at 01:11 AM. Reason: offloine
danbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2009, 09:59 AM   #18
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
danbloom, we welcome discussion here on all topics, and we are glad you've joined us. in general, we do prefer that members not start multiple threads on the same topic, to make it easier to navigate the forums.

please do feel free to continue your discussion, this is after all a discussion forum, that's what it's for.

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 10-31-2009 at 10:01 AM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:43 AM   #19
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
Nits aside, I have to agree that when I write things, I seem to do a better job of editing and catching faux pas when I am looking at paper rather than a computer screen.
I prefer to edit work-related material on a hard copy too - I've always figured it was just because 1) reading on a desktop screen is uncomfortable and ties me to my desk, whereas I tend to write better when I find the "right" spot; and 2) I grew up marking changes on paper with arrows, basic proofreader's marks, and marginal annotations, and I find the Word change tracking feature cumbersome. Neither of these are related to reading on a screen per se. In fact, when I'm proofing books I've scanned, in which the errors are generally minor but easy to miss, I move them off the computer and onto my PDA for final proofing and bookmarking of errors. That's the most comfortable way to give them a leisurely read-through, even though I need to go back to the desktop later in order to actually fix the errors.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:02 AM   #20
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbloom View Post
I hear you, dmikov. Again, apologies all around.

-- danny
Apology accepted.

But, please, do stick to your pledge not to start multiple threads on the same topic. Anyone interested in said topic will read whatever you post on an existing thread. Otherwise, you're just annoying.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2009, 01:11 PM   #21
The Hooded Claw
Connoisseur
The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone with Kindle app, Kindle 4 in reserve
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Why stop there? Why not switch from a visual medium to an audio one?

By far the most effective way I've found to proofread my writing is to activate some kind text-to-speech system on my computer and have it read what I've written back to me. Usually, I'll read the thing at the same time. Mistakes are very easy to find when a misspelled work is mispronounced, or a missing word is skipped when spoken.
A very good point! I've also read my work aloud to catch errors. And a fellow who works for me and is brilliant at the technical aspects of our job is an awful writer, and I've advised him to read his writing out loud as part of proofreading.

Audio versus print is definitely a different medium and engages the brain differently. Perhaps this does apply to the screen. eInk is supposed to give the advantages of paper. I'd be interested in a well-designed study to see if there are differences in comprehension between eInk and paper!
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:25 PM   #22
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
I disagree on one fundamental thing--For most of us, our brains are getting updated all the time....We do it through learning and practice. Even learning to read is a major software upgrade that everyone on this forum did when they were five years old or so. The pace of upgrades slows down for most people after their late teens, but for many of us (and I suspect most of the people in this forum) it never permanently stops while we are alive and conscious! If there is a disadvantage to reading on screen, I suspect our brains will learn to do better at it if we keep practicing.

Nits aside, I have to agree that when I write things, I seem to do a better job of editing and catching faux pas when I am looking at paper rather than a computer screen. I've never thought about how reading on my Kindle might be a different experience. I certainly feel like I get as much out of the book as I do on paper, but who knows....?
I would agree that it is hogwash to think the brain has never been updated. It is updated every day and it is quite adaptable, unlike software, all by itself. The brain is an amazing device.

As to distractions they are perhaps more prevalent on a computer screen although typically not present on your eBook Reader screen. As I type this I have a bunch of icons moving around within my vision which can be distracting. (Hit the esc key to stop this nonsense by the way.) I believe my eBook reader permits me to immerse myself in the reading experience to a degree not possible on a computer screen.

I find lots of mistakes on the screen but only after I write it and then see it formatted on the screen. I think it is the old adage that you know what you intend to say so when you read you tend to read what you want to see, not what is in front of your eyes. After a delay the proof reading is improved.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:30 PM   #23
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
Thank you, thank you. You just made my day.
Your lack of internet etiquete is appaling. This spam wall of boring and irrelevant posts on the forum dedicated to news is irritating.
It is not dedicated to News. As I understand it "Commentary" should not be read as comments to News items. To avoid this confusion a lot of people wanted some other forum to be created for ebook related discussions that are not based on News but this has not happened.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:34 PM   #24
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
It is not dedicated to News.
Maybe-- but I would think that some guy inventing a "controversy" and then starting thread after thread where he "interviews" people on his manufactured controversy, filled with appeal to (supposed) authority logical fallacies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority and name dropping http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_dropping in an attempt to draw the forum into the argument that he invented in the first place should count as trolling.

Quote:
To avoid this confusion a lot of people wanted some other forum to be created for ebook related discussions that are not based on News but this has not happened.
Can't that happen in the lounge?

Last edited by ardeegee; 10-31-2009 at 01:40 PM.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:03 PM   #25
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
The best method is going to vary per-person frabjous

I'm dyslexic and have a terrible auditory memory...TTS wouldn't help me, but inverting the text and background colours and re-reading helps me catch a lot of mistakes.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:11 PM   #26
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Can't that happen in the lounge?
No. The lounge is described as: "Friendly banter and discussions unrelated to e-books".
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:30 PM   #27
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I don't agree with his idea personally.

Reading is reading. I don't feel any different reading on my Kindle than I do in a paper book.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:38 PM   #28
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooksForABuck View Post
Okay, what's the deal with 'real books,' here.
Can't speak for everyone -- especially when my wife is listening -- but I use the term "real" as tongue-in-cheek, meaning "the current popular method". This a sarcastic view of the human tendency to resist change and accept only what already exists as "real".

To me, "real books" is merely poking fun at the silly notion that everything will remain as it always has been. Of course, that's silly in itself, since very few things have remained the same as they were when they began.

Otherwise, we would still be driving Model T's.

No, wait, we would still be riding in wagons.

No, wait, we would still be riding horses.

No, wait, we would still be walking everywhere.

No, wait, we would still be swimming in the primordial ooze.

No, wait, we still are -- we just renamed it "politics".

Last edited by eGeezer; 10-31-2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Cuz I can't see the errors I save it.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:42 PM   #29
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
The best method is going to vary per-person frabjous
I didn't mean to suggest that works best for me would work best for anyone else. Apologies if it came off that way.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:45 PM   #30
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
Not only is the brain updated thru learning, it's an established fact that human evolution is continuing, contrary to the old assumption that evolution in humans stopped when civilization began. In fact, there is some evidence that evolution is faster now in humans than in earlier times. So the brain is updated thru learning and the old-fashioned way -- by death, sexual selection, and that sort of thing.
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote