Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #31
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug38 View Post
I got this in a Chat exchange with the Libre tech support a few days ago: "you: I've had an Ectaco jetBook in the past. This is in the same 'case' but is the main difference in the display that the Libre has e-ink, or what?
Pete: The jetBook looks like the LIBRE but that's all. It's software and firmware are very different
Well, LIBRE looks like jetBook and both units have the same screen but jetBook has dictionaries and jetbook-Lite has DRMed eReader support for B&N books and AA replaceable batteries.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #32
petechan
Connoisseur
petechan doesn't litterpetechan doesn't litter

Device: Aluratek libre
I have the Libre.

Libre can do DRM epub books so that I can borrow the ebooks available from the public library sites. This is the main reason I bought it over the Jetbook/JBL. I do wish I could get dictionaries, would be helpful in learning a foreign language. I also wish the public libraries had a bigger selection. But so far I have borrowed two books and at least saved the money from buying them.

I have several pdfs on my Libre. With reflow on it reads like an ordinary text file albeit with many line breaks. Without reflow the entire document is formatted like the original and you move from section to section using the arrows. Frankly I prefer without. Never had freezing or had to do a reset with my Libre. And remember if you get Jetbook or Libre (but not JBL) you have an mp3 player, not great, but at least you can take a break from reading on with only one device.
petechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #33
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, preloaded dictionaries on jetBook and jetbook-Lite units very helpful.
Why Libre has no support for Epub books available from B&N website? Nook has Adobe DRM and read ePub books from B&N.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #34
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
B&N doesn't offer ePub... if they did, then the Libre would have no problems. They offer the eReader DRM'd PDB format, which Libre cannot handle.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #35
doug38
doug38 began at the beginning.

Device: Ectaco jetBook or Aluratek Libre
Does jetBook's dictionary define words which are thought by some to be 'bookish'? Or does it just work for the 500 or so (or 1000, if you like) of the most common words in the language? And can't Libre work with DRMed texts too?
doug38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 11:58 PM   #36
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug38 View Post
Does jetBook's dictionary define words which are thought by some to be 'bookish'? Or does it just work for the 500 or so (or 1000, if you like) of the most common words in the language? And can't Libre work with DRMed texts too?
I find 7-8 words from 10 when I read books so vacabulary is pretty deep
with many synonyms.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:43 PM   #37
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Doug, my experience differs from Kris's. It is rare that I find a word that I look up. Nearly all of my reading thus far has been limited to books that came with the jetBook Lite.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote