Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #106
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyd View Post
Thank you Blossom for the report. I tried 3 K4's and kept the last, even though I never got a screen to equal my Kindle keyboard. As much as I like the size of the K4, I find myself using the K3 more due to the better screen. I will buy the newest K4, but only when I hold up my current K4 next to the new model, at someplace like Staples. I won't spend again for the sub par screen. I hope all the new K4's have the improvement you reported.
Marty
I remember! I think you will be very happy with the new K4B. Mine surpasses my K3.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #107
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Congratulations on the new toy. I've got to wait until Oct 11 for my NSO Paperwhite and until Oct 25 for my Kindle Fire HD 7 32 Gb.

All I got today was my Kindle Fast Charger good for all eInk devices and Fires.
Thanks. I am getting a PW too. No new tablet though. I don't need one.
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #108
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
This doesn't work on the K5, and probably won't on the KPW. For the K5 (and hopefully for the Paperwhite, we will see), there is JBPatch, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
That method didn't work with the K5 (Touch) and might not work with the KPW.

Edit: The KPW will have multiple new fonts so perhaps there will be a way to add our own.
Thank you for the clarification While the fonts on the KT weren't anything to rave about, I was pretty satisfied with them so hopefully I will be happier with the new selection the KPW offers
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #109
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Sure! I had to run upstairs and bring in back down.
I love the black bezel version. I hope they stay with this color. It says Kindle to me.
Wow, that is niiice. I don't know if it's just your picture taking skill or what, but that looks as good if not better than any PW pic I've seen! The font looks almost too bold for the K4B. May need to make it finer.

PS: you have an upstairs and downstairs kindle? Way to get the economy rolling
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #110
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Wow, that is niiice. I don't know if it's just your picture taking skill or what, but that looks as good if not better than any PW pic I've seen! The font looks almost too bold for the K4B. May need to make it finer.

PS: you have an upstairs and downstairs kindle? Way to get the economy rolling
Yes I do. I am too clumsy to go up and back with it everyday. I also have my Kindle Fire by my bed. The PW will replace this for reading.
I don't know what I am going to do with the K4S after that. Maybe give it to someone.

I don't find the font too bold at all. It's perfect!
Advert
Old 09-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #111
rockmonkey
rockmonkey began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 6
Hi

I have been a long time reader of these forums but have never needed to join until now... sorry mate it is a question (aint it always). anyway i am wondering if the new kindle has native jpg support and an image viewer like the k4 which bookmarks the last image viewed in the folder and also allow you to zoom in? i am asking because i have a touch at the moment and was thinking about jailbreaking it and installing komic (which looks to be a superb bit of software) because these features are missing on the touch.

however i really like the black look of the new kindle and therefore am also considering buying this new cheaper smaller kindle and selling my touch. now kindles simply handle ebooks really well but the pdf and image support has always been a bit hit and miss. i do know though that the k4 had in the image viewer bookmarking abilities (unlike the touch) and zoom so if these are still there i will make the move.

reason being i have loads of climbing guidebooks that i have scanned into my laptop and converted to both jpeg and pdf. on my touch they look slightly better in jpeg format but there is no ability to zoom. so even though the jpegs are cropped and resized and are just about readable with my glasses on the option to zoom in would be very nice.

so if you can test the image viewers ability to zoom and bookmark and also if you have time can you tell me your opinion of the pdf viewer i would be most grateful.
rockmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #112
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I don't have anything available to test this on but seeing both K4s run the same firmware someone with a K4 who uses these features can answer this for you. I suggest starting your own thread so you can get the answers you need from other K4 users who might know. Welcome to MobileRead!
Old 09-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #113
jswinden
Nameless Being

I seem to recall the K4S did support JPG with a native viewer, but not as nice as the one the K3 has. I think I discussed it in the K4 Tips thread, but that was a long time ago so I may be wrong.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #114
rockmonkey
rockmonkey began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 6
i am sort of amazed you dont have a photo that you could put on the kindle but no worries i have asked on the other thread. i am guessing for all intents and purposes these devices are exactly the same and if that is the case then images (png, jpg) should work and hopefully be bookmarked.
rockmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #115
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmonkey View Post
i am sort of amazed you dont have a photo that you could put on the kindle but no worries i have asked on the other thread. i am guessing for all intents and purposes these devices are exactly the same and if that is the case then images (png, jpg) should work and hopefully be bookmarked.
Even if I did I wouldn't have a clue what to do with it. I've never used that feature best to find someone who is familiar with it and how it works.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #116
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Thanks. I am getting a PW too. No new tablet though. I don't need one.
How many Kindles do you have?
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #117
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
How many Kindles do you have?
We have 3 eInk Kindles and one Kindle Fire at the moment. I have two K4s which the PW will replace the Silver one and a Kindle Fire I plan to trade in for the new one once I can find out if Personal Documents has been fixed or not. Hubby has the K3 now. He not even picked it up yet. *sigh*

I don't know yet what I plan to do with the Silver K4.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #118
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
We have 3 eInk Kindles and one Kindle Fire at the moment. I have two K4s which the PW will replace the Silver one and a Kindle Fire I plan to trade in for the new one once I can find out if Personal Documents has been fixed or not. Hubby has the K3 now. He not even picked it up yet. *sigh*

I don't know yet what I plan to do with the Silver K4.
I only have the Kindle 3 and the KF. I really want the PW but don't know what I'll do with another kindle.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #119
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
I only have the Kindle 3 and the KF. I really want the PW but don't know what I'll do with another kindle.
I have my K4B for downstairs, The PW will be for upstairs. The lighting is really bad up there. Last night I tried reading on the K4B in bed but I had to use my book light to see the page. I use my Kindle Fire for at night in bed when the lights are out. I'll probably use the PW for that but wont know till I see how hubby can handle it next to him while he is sleeping.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #120
hn333
Addict

Quote:
I have my K4B for downstairs, The PW will be for upstairs. The lighting is really bad up there. Last night I tried reading on the K4B in bed but I had to use my book light to see the page. I use my Kindle Fire for at night in bed when the lights are out. I'll probably use the PW for that but wont know till I see how hubby can handle it next to him while he is sleeping.
I find the KF a little too heavy when I'm reading at night. Plus it's too distracting for me. Most of the time I find myself playing a game or on the internet instead of reading. So I might get the PW for night reading and leave the Kindle 3 for reading in the day. That's the plan anyway.