Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #121
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
About the illumination - again

Anyway when the dark comes, I no need of special illumination. Here you my equipment:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0995.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	83968

and this is the lamp:

Name:	DSCN0996.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	83969

Very common, the most cheap I could find. Not the best of course, I use to read in yellow light... but I've just posted about this topic.

PS: this "equipment" of mine is not for JBC but because I love my sight. Do you really want to read in dark with poor illumination? I don't

Last edited by mod186k1; 03-15-2012 at 09:46 AM.
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #122
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinka View Post
I would say this documenty is JUST readable now, not PERFECTLY. This is the main problem with JBC - it lists a lot of features in its specifications but practically none of the main features is done WELL. This PDF file is the good example. To make this document just READABLE you need: 1) do yourself some manipulations with it (using - a) DIFFERENT hardware (your PC in this case), b) different software not even included with JBC (you used Adobe Acrobat or something similar on your PC, right?), c) your personal time to figure out and do all this manipulations, 2) find the place with PERFECT lightening conditions to read it (if you don't have it you have to (according my experiance with JBC) to invest more money in changing LIGHTENING conditions in your house or better to move to different house with better indoor light). And in my opinion even after that this document is far from being PERFECTLY readable because of such dark grey screen (which causes the significant eye strain at least for me).

Would you please do me a favor and upload here your modified PDF document (after reflow and 100% zoom) because honestly I don't even know how to do it? Yes, I can google "reflow and zoom PDF with Adobe Acrobat" and figure it out but I don't have time for it right now. Then I can load your modified document on my Kindle DX and JBC, take the pictures of both devices and show you and everyone what the difference is and how closer to being PERFECT the same document looks on DX. At least in terms of eye strain.

Thanks.
I don't believe in 'perfect lightning'. Any light source that gives more light than a 15-20W incandescent SPOT,12W Halogen spot, (I presume 3-5W energy saving bulb spot or TL spot) or 1W LED spot makes reading on the Jetbook possible.
Just like with a regular book, if you use a colored bulb, don't be surprised that the screen colors look off!
You need yellowish, and preferably pure white light for most accurate color display (which is exactly the same as with a comic book). Nevertheless using a colored bulb makes it not impossible to read! And I'm not talking about 'yellowish-white' bulbs, or more 'blue-ish white'; but real color bulbs!

If you're reading in your bed / study room, have reasonable light walls, any 30W incandescent, 2W LED, or 2x12W halogen spot will provide enough light to read! The issue is to just having more light than that.
I'd say, most lamps on a nightstand are less bright,so you'd have to equip them with an energy saver bulb or LED bulb, as they might not handle too bright incandescent or halogen bulbs.

However, most regular room lightbulbs provide more than enough light to read indoors.

Unfortunately I can't be more accurate than that.. I don't own a Lumen meter, so I won't know what the best Lumens are to read under, but even at home, I'm reading the Jetbook under way below office lumens, and experience no discomfort!

Last edited by ProDigit; 03-15-2012 at 09:43 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #123
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I would say this documenty is JUST readable now, not PERFECTLY.
"Perfectly" (for me) means anyone can read it without effort.

Quote:
Then I can load your modified document on my Kindle DX and JBC, take the pictures of both devices and show you and everyone what the difference is and how closer to being PERFECT the same document looks on DX. At least in terms of eye strain.

Thanks.
If you speak about the contrast is just clear that pearl is better than triton. See also here:

But the real point is: the minor contrast of triton is acceptable for you considering the (poor?) color, the not backlight screen and the high resolution even higher than your Kindle DX?

For me the answer is "yes". Probably for you is "no".

I love reading on Triton when colors are an important factor. But you are right when you say Ectaco's images on their web site are not true. With a more honest information each people can answer to this question and be happy with or without Jetbook Color and Triton.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #124
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
However, most regular room lightbulbs provide more than enough light to read indoors.
That's the thing. We have 20W low energy lights in our ceiling light fittings, and they are supposed to be equivalent to an old 100W tungsten filament bulb. They certainly look bright enough and are more than adequate to read a paper book or any of my Sony eReaders (including the PRS-505). Under the same bulb the jetBook Color looks muddy, grey, and so offputting that I think if I'm ever going to read from it by choice I'm going to have to get a reading lamp as well (like mod186k1 has).

Obviously your experience is different.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #125
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-T1, M92, iPad 3, ex-JetBook Color
Pictures (JBC vs DX)

Ok. Here are some pictures. I am not the best photographer for sure. But this is the best I can do for now. Please notice pretty strong artefacts on JBL on pictures # 5, # 6 and # 7. What fo you think? Especially about eye strain. Remember the main reason for me to use eInk device is to make the reading of electronic books easier on our eyes? So we can read A LOT and ENJOY READING. Othewise, for example, iPad will do everything else much better than any of these eInk devices. Will you enjoy long reading sessions on JBC or DX in our case?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	913.0 KB
ID:	83971   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	972.4 KB
ID:	83972   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	993.1 KB
ID:	83973   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	1,003.9 KB
ID:	83974   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	863.0 KB
ID:	83975   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	941.6 KB
ID:	83976   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	863.1 KB
ID:	83977   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	711.4 KB
ID:	83978   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	870.7 KB
ID:	83979  

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-15-2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Valentinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #126
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm sorry, but to me it's not really obvious to see any 'artifacts' on picture 5,6or 7.

I find the Jetbook is just as readable as recycled paper books! It's a little darker, and yes, a more white background is more pleasant to read, however I've spent 2 books, 3 study guides, and a good 40+ hours in total reading on the Jetbook with delight!
(though I mainly use it for PDF's).

When I compare it to my Sony PRS 505, and Astak EZReader Pro, both of which have one of the first e-ink screens, not the pearl screens (If I'm right), I see it's only marginally darker. But the blacks are much blacker on the Jetbook,than on any of the above 2 e-ink readers!
So the overall contrast to me, it looks about the same.

For indoor reading, and low light situations, ultimately,you will want the blacks of the Jetbook, and the whites of an E-ink screen. Unfortunately the 'perfect' screen does not really exist yet.
But even if, such a high contrast is not healthy for the eyes, when reading outside in sunlight,studio, or bright light environments.
The Jetbook (provided it had a black frame instead of a white one),would be a perfect device to read from under sunlight.
Most e-ink devices I have used, very similar to books, would burn out your eyeballs reading them in sunlight!

I find, even on a cloudy day, sitting with my back towards the window, having only the light of outside enter the room, is more than sufficient to read from both jetbook or e-ink. Regular e-ink may be a bit easier on the eyes for rainy days, office light or lower; but most of the time when it gets rainy and dark, I turn on a lightbulb anyway.

As far as muddy, I would not say the Jetbook is muddy. At least not in B&W mode.
In color, yes, the colors are somewhat muddy, especially when you are watching photo's where light colors mix (eg light green, orange and yellow with light blue and light purple; they kind of all look very similar on the jetbook).
The fuller colors (pure red, green or blue) are having better contrast ratio's, however they all appear pretty dark. Nothing a small driver improvement can't fix(or make better), however it'd take a long time to rewrite screen drivers to improve colors.

Last edited by ProDigit; 03-15-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #127
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
A quick note here on reading lights.

I believe the perfect reading light is an individual thing. I like a 75 watt incandescent for reading. I have energy-saving bulbs throughout the rest of the house (except for the 40-watt decorative bulbs my wife insists on for the ceiling fans in the living and family rooms), but the light for my reading lamp has to be especially bright to accommodate my soon-to-be 62 year old eyes.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #128
ProDigit
Karmaniac

My eyes are still young; and still see very well.
I merely tested on average the limits of light, where you should not go lower, or experience discomfort.
I personally replaced my LED nightstand lamp which was a 1Watt LED, to a 1,5Watt one, and the difference is noticeable! Because at 1Watt I had difficulty reading. At 1.5 I could read everything just fine.
However in relatively similar situations would suggest people to plug in a 2Watt the least.
Surely the brighter the bulb, the more comfortable the read. It goes in a curve. However, you need to double the bulb's wattage, to get only a marginal increase in comfort,until you've reached the sweet spot (that sweet spot is different from person to person).

Just like font size, I am merely stating that under a certain font size, text will become very hard to read (even for people with good eyes); does not mean that at these small sizes they are impossible to read.
The sweet spot for font size, just like brightness of reading a light are different from person to person indeed.
However, there are very few people who will want a fontsize so small, that there aren't enough pixels to display the letters completely, and you'd have to be second guessing letters because even with a magnifying glass you'd not be able to see a perfect letter (eg:imagine the letter 'e' being so small that the white dot within the 'e' has disappeared due to no pixels to display it).

Likewise with light, at a certain threshold of light intensity or lumen, even people with healthy eyes will have difficulty going any lower; and letters will start dancing on the page!

If you have a LED clip-on light above the reader you could do with 0.5Watt, but not really lower than that. (according to some wikipedia research it'd be around 150-250 Lumen you'll need for reading)

What I write are estimates you need to take with a grain of salt.

If you prefer 1000Lumen bulb over a 250, that's a personal preference indeed; but I think no one would prefer a 50lumen bulb over a 200 one for reading!

Last edited by ProDigit; 03-15-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #129
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

One more picture (a little different light)

Quote:

I find the Jetbook is just as readable as recycled paper books!
Would you prefere to do most of your reading on the grey RECYCLED paper or on the normal white paper?
And again - the pricing. I know that recycled paper is much cheaper than the white one. I mentioned earlier that I paid for my refurbished DX $199.95 in early January. JBC's price is $499.99. Does it make any sense?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	963.5 KB
ID:	83982  
Old 03-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #130
ProDigit
Karmaniac

If you can live with the ugly keyboard, and the reduced resolution (which should still be good enough to read most PDF's in full screen), and can live without an SD cardslot, yes, the kindle would be better!
In that case, I'd wait until the Jetbook becomes $299, in a good 2 to 3 years from now before thinking of upgrading (if by then no other/better devices have been made)!

It all depends.
I NEED a good resolution, I NEED an SD card, I WANT wifi, and I WANT TTS. I also really enjoy the internal dictionary, as my native language is not English, and I'm reading a lot of Eng. literature.
Personally the keyboard, no SD and the looks turned me off from the Kindle.
Besides, they sold the DX at $275 when I made the purchase, and they had a deal on the Jetbook Color for $100 off when you return an old Jetbook, so I did the step, and in the end, paying $275 for a Kindle, or paying $399 for a Jetbook Color (while losing a standard Jetbook) the choice was obvious for me!

Last edited by ProDigit; 03-15-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #131
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Valentinka you've been very kind.

Now return it asap, hurry!!

ProDigit: if she bought it at less than 200 dollars on Woot in january, it's a refurb but with 1 year of warranty (they weren't real refurbs, I know what we are talking about: those were new items).

DXG is awful as pdf manager, as its firware is outdated. It can't even reade epubs. But its readibility is probably the best (or one of the best) I've ever seen on an ereader. Please try it if you can, you'll never say that's a "reduced resolution".

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-15-2012 at 12:36 PM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #132
Valentinka
Zealot

Artefacts on JBC

Quote:
I'm sorry, but to me it's not really obvious to see any 'artifacts' on picture 5,6or 7.
Can you see on lower part of the page, just below the beginning of the last paragraph, just to the left from the third, forth and fifth lines (of the last paragraph) the contours of the man's face? This is the picture of the man's face from the previous page. So again we can see on JBC two pages at once - previous one and current one. Thanks, Ectaco! It is definitely very informative - especially for multi-tasking users - 2 pages at once. But to be serious - it is very annoying while you are reading. I noticed that this "artefact effect" is more noticable with PDF files and much less with FB2 files on JBC.

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-15-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #133
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
People the problem with Triton's comfort can be subjective, even because our eyes differ a lot.

But when you spend those big money, you may desire a device that you can use almost anywhere, not only with some kind of light.

And it's not for everyone, having to edit all the pdf files to read them better.

I hope that sooner or later you can export your scribbled pdf to use them everywhere. But if you've optimized those files for the JBC, once you've scribbled them for study, you're going to have to use them even on pc and your other devices. Those files may not look good on other devices, after you edited for max result on the Triton (not talking about trimming the borders)

Valentinka: you're not the first who reports ghosting effects here

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-15-2012 at 12:37 PM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #134
Valentinka
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
Valentinka you've been very kind.

she bought it at less than 200 dollars on Woot in january, it's a refurb but with 1 year of warranty (they weren't real refurbs, I know what we are talking about: those were new items).
Mine DX definitely WAS REFURBISHED. It came even registered with previous user (I know even his name) and it had even some personal documents of the previous user. I had to deregistrer my DX and registrer it back with Amazon on my name.

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-15-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #135
mod186k1
Addict

Excuse me lady,
didn't you noticed that the photo number 9 shows JBC a higher definition chars?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...9&d=1331823258

You say it strains your eyes because of the background. But according to me the definition in some cases (like in your PDF) is important too.

Before this post I read a color magazine, take some notes on the book "Grafica in Blender" for 2 hours and my eyes are fine.
Ok, it's a beautifull sunny day where I am now.

I'm sorry, but I can't be agree to your judge.

P.s.: I beg your pardon, but the "strain your eyes" story it's your feeling or it really hurt your eyes reading on JBC? I don't understand
(For example I experimented real trouble when I tried a couple of hours of iPad2)