Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 01-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
scissors
Addict
scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs300, kindle keyboard 3g
Exclamation Dropbox knackered

Hi All,

This morning my calibre2opds library wouldn't sync using dropbox. I read some solutions then after going on the web found files wouldn't delete at the dropbox side of things.

I decided to delete my account then re-install it. Little did I know dropbox has changed the terms for new users and there is no longer a way of viewing/browsing html online (AFAIK).

So yes I can get my news papers but not via calibre2opds' nice interface.

I've tried google and some others, but unless someone out there knows better there doesn't seem to be a free cloud service offering what dropbox used to. This really sucks!

Any help appreciated.
scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Where did you hear of this?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
scissors
Addict
scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Where did you hear of this?
https://www.dropbox.com/developers/b...-public-folder

You can download your index.html and preview it, but you can'y browse from page to page, at least i can't.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #4
scissors
Addict

I managed to get around this dropbox thing by hosting my calibre2opds site and library on altervista and using goodsync to auto sync.

all works fine EXCEPT the missus kindle keyboard doesn't download the mobi files it displays them as ascii/raw text.

this is a real bummer as her 3g ability is a must when on holiday abroad.

Anyone have a clue why this would happen? my touch and all other browesers seem okay, i'm currently guessing it's the kindle keyboards dated browser
Old 01-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I read something about a group claiming they were responsible in honor of Aaron Swartz. Of course Dropbox denies that such is the reason.

Aaron Swartz

click
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:13 PM   #6
scissors
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I read something about a group claiming they were responsible in honor of Aaron Swartz. Of course Dropbox denies that such is the reason.

Aaron Swartz

click
But dropbox isn't down. I can upload and down load, just the way in which files are saved means the paths are changed so links in c2o pages are reduntant and therefore don't work
Old 01-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scissors View Post
But dropbox isn't down. I can upload and down load, just the way in which files are saved means the paths are changed so links in c2o pages are reduntant and therefore don't work
Well the article was written on Friday so even if it had been they would have been working to get it back up again. According to Dropbox they've just been doing some maintenance on the site. I can believe that certainly. Even my local library's site goes down for maintenance now and then, and I can see if they are upgrading where not everything is working right now and then too.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
https://www.dropbox.com/developers/b...-public-folder

You can download your index.html and preview it, but you can'y browse from page to page, at least i can't.
That says they are getting rid of the "Public" folder in favor of sharing specific folders. Why can't you still view the html? I'd think it would be difficult for them to stop you -- your browser is the one insisting on reading html as a webpage rather than a download. Have they broken the previous feature of having the hierarchical folder linking? That is the only concern I see.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:13 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
That says they are getting rid of the "Public" folder in favor of sharing specific folders.
The Calibre2OPDS step-by-step guide states to install in the Public folder and if you don't have one then troubleshoot until you can create one.

Quote:
Have they broken the previous feature of having the hierarchical folder linking?
Exactly the problem, without the public folder you can only share individual links.

@scissors I ran across this article that led me to the below quote from Dropbox's site found here.

Quote:
Creating a Public folder

Dropbox links give you everything you need to share and preview files and folders. However, if you’re just a diehard fan of Public folders, click here to enable one on your account.
Once you have done this you should be able to return to your normal setup.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:19 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
The Calibre2OPDS step-by-step guide states to install in the Public folder and if you don't have one then troubleshoot until you can create one.

Exactly the problem, without the public folder you can only share individual links.

@scissors I ran across this article that led me to the below quote from Dropbox's site found here.

Once you have done this you should be able to return to your normal setup.
But as far as I'm aware, you can still share a whole folder, and that folder will contain the same folder-based structure, as long as you share the top-level folder.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:59 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
But as far as I'm aware, you can still share a whole folder, and that folder will contain the same folder-based structure, as long as you share the top-level folder.
Sharing a folder is not the same as a "Public" html folder. I have not used Calibre2OPDS but it was discussed thoroughly at the time. Calibre2OPDS requires a public folder in Dropbox to work.

I guess I wasn't clear in the previous post. The hierarchical folder linking does not work unless it is in a public folder.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #12
scissors
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Sharing a folder is not the same as a "Public" html folder. I have not used Calibre2OPDS but it was discussed thoroughly at the time. Calibre2OPDS requires a public folder in Dropbox to work.

I guess I wasn't clear in the previous post. The hierarchical folder linking does not work unless it is in a public folder.

Nope, you were perfectly clear.
THANK YOU for that link. All back to normal.
that link needs some sort of sticky.

Kindest regards
Old 01-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Nope, you were perfectly clear.
THANK YOU for that link. All back to normal.
that link needs some sort of sticky.

Kindest regards
It is, here: Calibre2OPDS_step-by-step#Finding_the_download_URL It tells you to troubleshoot for the Public folder, and links you to a google search for "dropbox public folder gone". The first few links all describe how to use that option.

(But for some reason, the search link is to the German site. I am about to go in and clean up the link.)

And it wasn't made clear to ME that the hierarchical folder structure-as-a-website only worked in the Public folder.

BTW, thanks for that, DoctorOhh, I appreciate the clarification.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #14
8140david
Connoisseur
8140david began at the beginning.

Device: none
The indication given above to create a public folder doesn't work anymore.
After clicking on the link, it just tells me the Public folder is suppressed.
And I can't see in the suppressed files & folders.
Any idea?
Or alternative cloud solution that accepts public folders, ie that "displays html"?
8140david is offline   Reply With Quote