Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Despite a Slowdown, Smartphone Advances Are Still Ahead

Intersting article in nytimes today.

Quote:
Faster chips, bigger screens and speedier wireless Internet connections are among the refinements smartphone users can count on year after year in new models, most of them in familiar rectangular packages.
Quote:
But big innovations in smartphones are not a thing of the past. Incremental improvements can add up over a span of years, providing the computing horsepower to enable big advances in software. Breakthroughs in smartphone materials, software and even batteries could lead to substantial changes in how smartphones look and function in the years ahead.

I wonder when next burst will be seen. Talks about wearable devices, new materials that will allow new and different shapes, and new power technologies.

Finishes like this:

Quote:
The difference in smartphones from year to year may not seem spectacular as Apple and its competitors, like Google, Samsung, Microsoft and even Nokia, push their new smartphones forward a bit more every year, like marathoners trying with each race to better their personal bests by minutes. But the long arc of technological progress is.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/17/te...pagewanted=all
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
This seems like a good advance (catching up on reading). Better power performance, lower price.

Quote:
The first, what Intel calls the "Moore's Law Radio," is a complete WiFi transceiver on a 32-nanometer scale silicon chip; the second, called Rosepoint, is a complete system-on-a-chip that integrates two Atom processor cores with a digital WiFi transceiver.
Quote:
Intel is converting the radio into a product now; the Rosepoint system-on-a-chip remains in research, but its technology could soon find its way onto handheld devices. The most obvious first candidates for technology like Rosepoint are handhelds, tablets, and even cell phones, such as the Android "Jelly Bean" phones based on the Medfield Atom processor, which are expected to hit the market next year.
http://arstechnica.com/information-t...essor-that-is/
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:08 AM   #3
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I am saving my first Cell Phone. A big Motorola Clam Shell with the bright power hungry LED numbers to wow the grand kids when they get to be teens.

That phone got a few "wow, you must be happy to see me" comments when stowed in a front pants pocket.

Of course it wasn't as big as the "phones in a bag" if you had poor reception where you were.

Last edited by SeaKing; 09-19-2012 at 05:32 AM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I want a smartphone like this one:

one button only and voice activated, possibly with speech-to-text capabilities.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
tango7
fully engaged
tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post

not phone!
earring
tango7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post

*Vegeta, what's his power level? - pic*

I keep wondering if Project Glass/Google Glass will provide something like this, anyway. Or, if it'll just be for doing crap on Google+.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
So far, I've read about three different upgrades to current chips used on Android and Windows phones. None of the reports has gone into detail about anything other than processor speed. Without more info on specs, it's impossible to know whether that staggered wave in 2013 will justify anyone's waiting to upgrade.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-21-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:27 AM   #8
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think the outside of the phone especially the screen is the new frontier for smartphones. Maybe it is the last frontier.

1. screen size
2. better brighter more colorful more brilliant dazzling screens
3. better software organization and control from the screen
4. stylus
5. voice control for #3.

If you can stream and watch an HD movie on a phone already, why are you going to speed that up?
To watch it in fast motion?
Old 09-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
A foldable screen, first it will be two section, but later on there will be four section screens, in essence quadrupling your screen real estate.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
not all the innovations have to do with the phone itself...

1. longer battery life
2. wireless charging everywhere
3. full version of MS office on your phone. phones are powerful enough to run it now.
4. nfc everywhere...more of an infrastructure upgrade
5. full desktop OS mode, which windows 8 has for tablets. one day we will be able to completely replace the PC with our smartphone. just link the phone to a larger screen and keyboard.
6. different form factors.
7. projecting image directly onto eyeglasses, like google glass. but it doesn't make any sense to put all the hardware inside the glasses. the glasses should just be a screen that is wirelessly connected to the phone.
8. holographic keyboard...make any flat surface into a keyboard.
9. projector screen. place tiny projector inside the phone so any glass surface can become a screen.
10. 3D screens
11. more spectrum available for wireless data...
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:29 AM   #11
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
5. full desktop OS mode, which windows 8 has for tablets. one day we will be able to completely replace the PC with our smartphone. just link the phone to a larger screen and keyboard.
This is the 'PC' I have wanted for a long time.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #12
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
markbot
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
This is the 'PC' I have wanted for a long time.
With all respect, I have to disagree. Even a Galaxy Note 5.3" screen isn't big enough really replace a PC. Just too small.

I thought the 7" Galaxy Tab 7Plus or the Lenovo 7" might do it, if you had a add on keyboard and mouse. But I don't think they will do it if you use the device in the normal PC manner. Just too small to be efficient. Sure if you take enough time with it, it will work, but normally I think you need at least 9" or 10".
I myself had a 10.1 net book for a while, but finally I went to a 11.3 or so, and that seems to work a lot better for a PC.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #13
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
The problem is that once you have become used to screens 15" and above, everything smaller will be too small. I can do work on both my 7" Galaxy Tab 2 and my 10" Transformer, but it is only in smaller bursts. Anything sustainable has to be done on the laptop, preferably with a second screen attached.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #14
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
The problem is that once you have become used to screens 15" and above, everything smaller will be too small. I can do work on both my 7" Galaxy Tab 2 and my 10" Transformer, but it is only in smaller bursts. Anything sustainable has to be done on the laptop, preferably with a second screen attached.
I have two homes with an "office" right now. One on an inland lake and river in a houseboat, and the other on the coast in a trawler I am converting and renovating for "my final resting place.". In each, though space is at a premium relative to most residences, I still have a large monitor. I have a 19" CRT one place and a 22" (or 23) LCD the other. I keep wishing one would fail bad enough (both are headed that way) so that I could justify getting a 26" Vizio or something similar and even larger maybe.

The other night, I was running a program to find a "deleted file" on my lady friends Toshiba laptop (15.6), and she was using my 7" 7Plus to read her Gmail. I looked over a while later, and she had her iPod (3.5") out doing it.
I said "what?" She said she could read her g-mail faster on it than on the Samsung. I said "what?"

Then she asked me (Apple spurner that I am) to logout and close her Gmail because she couldn't find out where to do it.

It is like those Sirens at sea. They keep singing their song, "we need you big man." "You are our kind of guy." "Come closer, you will get the fever."
Old 09-24-2012, 02:27 AM   #15
tango7
fully engaged
tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I have two homes with an "office" right now. One on an inland lake and river in a houseboat, and the other on the coast in a trawler I am converting and renovating for "my final resting place.". In each, though space is at a premium relative to most residences, I still have a large monitor. I have a 19" CRT one place and a 22" (or 23) LCD the other. I keep wishing one would fail bad enough (both are headed that way) so that I could justify getting a 26" Vizio or something similar and even larger maybe.

The other night, I was running a program to find a "deleted file" on my lady friends Toshiba laptop (15.6), and she was using my 7" 7Plus to read her Gmail. I looked over a while later, and she had her iPod (3.5") out doing it.
I said "what?" She said she could read her g-mail faster on it than on the Samsung. I said "what?"

Then she asked me (Apple spurner that I am) to logout and close her Gmail because she couldn't find out where to do it.

It is like those Sirens at sea. They keep singing their song, "we need you big man." "You are our kind of guy." "Come closer, you will get the fever."
siren is Apple or lady friend?
tango7 is offline   Reply With Quote