Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-26-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
What should I install on my hacked Sony Reader Wifi?

Over the weekend porkupan released a hacked firmware for the T1. You can now use the T1 as an Android tablet and you can install apps.

I hacked my unit and I'm quite happy with it. In fact, I'm planning to keep it as one of my main Android tablets.

Here's my question. What wold you like to see me install on the T1? I'd love to hear some suggestions and I've already reported on a number of apps over on my blog.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:41 AM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Love to know if there is a tutorial to do this
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:43 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes. Click the link above.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:46 AM   #4
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Thanks Nate. For some reason only known to our IT overlords here at work, your site is blocked.

Will look at home tonight.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:57 AM   #5
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
Wow, great development!
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:08 AM   #6
sein
Connoisseur
sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle, inkBook, Kobo
Hi, Nate. So cool that you already rooted your T1. Mine is arriving in a week or two and I'm definitely going to root it also. Even though the original Reader program of T1 doesn't look bad at all, I find the lack of a folder-based browser for organizing my books to be really frustrating... Hence the wish to use CoolReader instead. Why, oh why do all these big name readers (Sony, Kindle, Nook, etc) not have a more practical file browser and manager...?

Meanwhile, I wonder if you could try installing these really useful Android apks:

- ReLaunch (an excellent book launcher created originally for the Nook from the Russian ebook.org, but functional also on my Archos 7)
- Smartbar (an excellent system utility that contains an application manager, task manager, quick settings, info bar modifications, etc)
- Ghost Commander (a very handy dual pane file manager)

All of them are freeware applications that can be distributed freely, so I guess there's no problem if I post them here for you to try, also for anyone who are interested.

Thanks, Nate, for your offer to tryout these apps!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Apks.zip (1.18 MB, 493 views)
sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
901hw
Connoisseur
901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is

Device: Trekstor Pyrus Mini, PB Touch Lux 2, Onxy Boox C67ML (maybe))
I really like Sony PDF handling, is there anything similar for Android, especially the page cutting or columnmaking functions? Because I think it would be fabulous to root the T1 but not if I cannot keep that functionality.
901hw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 901hw View Post
I really like Sony PDF handling, is there anything similar for Android, especially the page cutting or columnmaking functions? Because I think it would be fabulous to root the T1 but not if I cannot keep that functionality.
The hack doesn't remove the existing apps or home screen. It only adds stuff.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 901hw View Post
I'm not brave enough to try this yet so someone correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is that this hack allows you to switch between the T1 standard functions and the Android functions as and when you wish, so you wouldn't be giving up anything.

[Edit:] Too late! Nate got in first
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Angry Birds and please post screen shots!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
If I may ask, how do reflowed text PDFs page turns work with ezPDF? The T1 has horrible pauses with the "please wait" message being displayed. Does ezPDF fix this lag which occurs during page turns of reflowed text PDFs? Thanks!
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I'd like to see FBReader and Moon+ Reader. I hope an alternate reader will eliminate the flipping page problem - have you used the standard Sony firmware and had this problem?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #13
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
Hello Purple Lady,
While reading EPUBs I've had absolutely no problems whatsoever, though I do use the buttons for page turns. My issue was only for text PDFs which were reflowed (i.e. had the font changed), which resulted in quite large slowdowns during page turns.
If I have to hack my T1 to try ezPDF, I will, but if another user who has already hacked their reader could try it out, I'd certainly appreciate it.
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #14
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
ring0_event, I think the flipping page problem was only if you used the touch screen. I'm interested in android apps because they use taps instead of swipes to turn pages. Also if it is a software problem, maybe alternate apps will work correctly.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #15
jbuk
jbuk doesn't litterjbuk doesn't litter

Device: none
There's a video at http://youtu.be/ayAcdHuI5hw?t=7m25s showing a guy using various PDF readers including ezPDF on a rooted Nook, to give an idea. The last of them, the Mantano Reader, seems pretty good, if the OP could have a look at that. Repligo is another one which is mentioned favourably on the Nook forum.

Edit: I'm not sure which of those are accessible at the moment.

Last edited by jbuk; 10-26-2011 at 02:18 PM.
jbuk is offline   Reply With Quote