Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Do you let your kids play with your NC?

I was wondering how many of those with a NOOKcolor let their kids play with them? How do your children find the interactive books or any games on the NC (whether rooted or not)?

I really do not need a NC, but I want one anyway. I am thinking if I buy one so my kids can play with the interactive books and games, I might feel better about it, lol. Then again a Vtech reader or MobiGo would probably be more age appropriate since they are 1.5 and 3 years old. I probably would let the 1.5 yr. old play with it yet, but my 3 year old already has a laptop and he loves playing the games at NickJr.com
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I think more than the device itself, it's probably more important to base your decision on the available content and prices.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
Catalytic
Catalytic began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor, Nook
I can speak about this one. I originally got myself the 3G, but due to a snafu in my order, I had to go return a few at my local store. (I ordered them online and part of my order was duplicated) While I was there, the manager talked me into a NC instead of my 3G.

It's nice, I think just for myself I would prefer the 3G (maybe, the shelf feature on the NC sounds good, but I haven't really played with any of them yet), but I have an 8 month old, and I thought the read to me feature was pretty cool.

BUT...there are not a whole lot of books available yet. "Classics" like Goodnight Moon, Love You Forever, Guess How Much I Love You, etc are not available...yet. According to the salesclerks in the store (one said the NC is only 3 weeks old, I didn't know it was so new) said they are adding hundreds of books monthly, so maybe in the near future, some of those books will be available.

My advice, if you are leaning toward the NC because of your kids, is to go look through the selection on the B&N website, and see what is available for the NC specifically.

They have 2 free books that I downloaded, Richard Scarry's Colors reading comes through loud and clear, whereas I sorta have to struggle to hear Rudyard Kipling's How the Elephant got his Trunk. I haven't looked to see if there is a headphone jack on the NC, but if there is, I'll likely hook a set of computer speakers to it when we use the "read to me" feature, so we can hear it better.
Catalytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalytic View Post
I haven't looked to see if there is a headphone jack on the NC, but if there is, I'll likely hook a set of computer speakers to it when we use the "read to me" feature, so we can hear it better.
There is. It's located on the top to the right.

The built-in speaker is pathetic, so I purchased a small set of speakers for travel.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
Catalytic
Catalytic began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
There is. It's located on the top to the right.

The built-in speaker is pathetic, so I purchased a small set of speakers for travel.
Thanks! I have to covertly look at them right now, because my puter is in the main room of the house and my kids are running around, so I'm hiding them under stuff to load books on them and haven't had a chance to really look at the devices themselves LOL.
Catalytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Hahaha, thanks Catalytic!

I did go and download the 2 free Read To Me books at B&N just in case they are no longer free when/if I decide to get a NC. Some of them are pretty pricey.

I saw a video where there were some games for the NC. I don't know if rooting it would make more apps/games available or not, but I was wondering if there were games for pre-school aged children? I mean they seem to be marketing it (at least a little) for parents and their children, so you would think there would be something... I can't seem to find out too much on the games aspect.

Really in all honesty I just want to one play with, lol. I might use it for reading at night, but I don't mind my little nook light and I love my NOOK. I kind of just want one to root and see what kind of stuff I can do with it. If my 3 yr old could learn something on it, it would make me feel better about spending the money on it. I think he learns more on his laptop, but it is too big to bring anywhere. Maybe the new B&N app store will offer some child friendly games.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
carbphrek
carbphrek will become famous soon enoughcarbphrek will become famous soon enoughcarbphrek will become famous soon enoughcarbphrek will become famous soon enoughcarbphrek will become famous soon enoughcarbphrek will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, NC
I bought the NC for meself but I do let me boys sit beside me and "use" the NC. They love the full-colour books & sometimes use the read to me feature. We are looking to get them netbooks within the next year but now I'm leaning more to rooted NC.
carbphrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Since my 'kid' is 32 years old, has already absconded with my Bookeen Cybook ereader AND my Palm Z22 PDA, I plan to guard my NC with my life.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #9
Mitzasuro
Connoisseur
Mitzasuro doesn't litterMitzasuro doesn't litter

Device: Nook, Nook Color
my 3 year old loves the thomas books on it
Mitzasuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
wxgeek96
wxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor, iPod Touch (1G)
My 2 yr old is in a stage where she likes to point at things in books. When we tried a few books, her pointing kept turning pages! I suspect this would work better with an older child.
wxgeek96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #11
Care
Aes Sedai

Lol Slayda! I would be guarding mine too.

Mitzasuro, My son loves Thomas and I saw the RTM books there. I wonder how interactive they actually are.

wxgeek96, I agree about the age thing. My younger son would probably do the same thing. My 3 year old understands how things work since he has a lot of gadgets.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #12
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
My 3 yr old daughter loves the 2 free books - How the Elephants Child got his nose, and the Twelve days of Christmas. She generally prefers me to read them to her; but the other day at a basketball game, I plugged the headphones in and let her listen to the books instead.

With the Twelve days of Christmas book, she loves to touch the screen and count the various items - which is a little bit a of problem with a touch screen; but she has already figured out if she inadvertently changes pages, how to change back to the one we are reading.

My old kids (6 & 8) love the NC for angry birds ... sorry to say they haven't done much reading on it.

Edit: the one discouraging thing is the prospect of re-purchasing many of the children books that we already own. Although it is fun to lay in bed at night, and have only the night light on, while reading to my daughter, the price of the children's ebooks is a bit discouraging. Hopefully, with the broader push on children's ebooks, the prices will come down a bit.

If this was my oldest child instead of my youngest (out of 5), I wouldn't feel so discouraged about the ebook prices for these childrens books; but where I only have another year or so to read many of these books to her (and then it will be different books), I don't think I'll be buying to many of the children's ebooks.

Last edited by jasoraso; 12-20-2010 at 01:03 PM.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #13
Mitzasuro
Connoisseur
Mitzasuro doesn't litterMitzasuro doesn't litter

Device: Nook, Nook Color
the thomas books look real nice, I bought the cheaper ones and they don't have the read to me function.
Mitzasuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #14
desk99
desk99 began at the beginning.

Device: nookcolor, nook, htc evo, ipod touch
My 5 and 7 year olds are getting thiem for Christmas. My 7 year old has basically stolen my nook. They devices are fantastic. The are really snappy tables that are very capable not only as readers but as media devices. They are going to replace ipods on long plane trips.
desk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #15
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
My kids will never touch my Nook......The wife either......it's mine.....all mine......

just pulled mine down last nite
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote