Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Pseudo-poll: Best hardshell or protective case?

This isn't really a poll, because I don't have a list of cases to vote on, but I was wondering what people have found to be the best protective case for the Sony 505?

I've read a lot of threads about DIY cases made out of various things. I'm not opposed to a DIY solution, but I'd like to see what people think are the best ones (aesthetically, functionally, and cost-wise).

What I'm really looking for is something that will truly protect the reader--primarily from injury that might occur in one or more of the following situations: throwing it in my work bag with a bunch of other stuff (books, notebooks, etc.), getting stepped on by my 18lb cat, or just my own ineptness (I've already stepped on the reader once, popped the screen, and had to get a replacement). I like the idea of a hardshell case, but I'd also entertain something made of ballistic nylon or cordura that had extra padding for screen protection.

Thanks in advance!
Joanne

Last edited by PsyDocJoanne; 09-23-2008 at 11:34 AM. Reason: edited to correct spelling errors
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I'm pretty happy with my DIY case made from a DVD security case. I think it's fine for the first two requirements, but I suspect that there's enough 'give' in the case that a full step onto it would be more than it could take, but as long as I don't leave it on the floor, that should be enough.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
throwing it in my work bag with a bunch of other stuff (books, notebooks, etc.), getting stepped on by my 18lb cat, or just my own ineptness (I've already stepped on the reader once, popped the screen, and had to get a replacement).
Honestly, if you are prone to stepping on your reader, you might want to entertain the idea of thick foam wrapped in a big fat metal case

I DIY'ed a dummy book into a hardshell reader case along with several other folks on this forum. The cost in both materials and time spent were low. It probably won't survive me stepping on it (and I am not going to try), but for most other situations it would be fine. Additionally the thought of carrying a library around in a single book appeals to me, and if you don't like the aesthetics of books you should be locked up
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
PsyDocJoanne
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Thanks, acidzebra!

As far as my stepping on it, I'm really optimistic that I'm not prone to it. It was a confluence of events that led to the stepping on it--I had put it on the floor while I was cleaning off the bed, and a couple of magazines got put on top of it.

I stepped down on the magazines without thinking, forgetting the reader was under there, immediately remembered when I felt it, but by then, *pop* went the screen. I don't think I need something that will bear the full weight of stepping, but just be strong enough to hold off a little pressure from an accidental step (or something akin to that). I'm confident that had the reader been in a case when I did the stepping, I would have been able to avoid the screen popping (I let up on the step well before I had applied the full pressure of my foot).

Anyway, I've seen several threads on how to DIY the dummy book as a case, and I'll revisit them. In the meantime, if you get a chance, let me know how you keep it closed. Did you make a latch of some sort?

Thanks!
Joanne
Old 09-23-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
I've been pretty happy with a DVD anti-theft case as described here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11420
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
PsyDocJoanne

Hi BobVA,

Quick question--I just bought the integrated light/cover that Sony offers for the 505. It adds about 1/2 inch to the spine thickness, and is slightly bigger than the OEM cover. Do you think the reader would fit in the DVD anti-theft case with the cover/light on?

Thanks in advance!
Joanne
Old 09-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
Do you think the reader would fit in the DVD anti-theft case with the cover/light on?
That's the case I've also got & no it wouldn't, is my guess. There's just enough room for the two strips of weather seal, but they're about 4mm each, whereas 1/2" would need ~12mm.

/Gwyn
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote