Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-06-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Halloween Yard Art

Around the corner and about two minutes down the highway from us, in a mixed residential/commercial stretch, there's one particular family that really takes Halloween yard decorations to the limit. And possibly beyond.

They have 13 or more lightweight, full-size skeletons and, starting on October 1st, they exhume themselves from the front yard and put on an increasingly elaborate display.

In the past I photographed some of the stages and put them on online for some friends, but a few years ago they started up a special Facebook page. For those of you interested in following this year's "circus" the page is:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/13-Sk...54877904544889

It's just as well. A few years ago I pulled the minivan onto a side street and walked along the shoulder of the road to take some pictures. It's a US highway, with no sidewalk, and I attracted the attention of a police patrol (a new recruit was paired with an older veteran for training purposes). They pulled over and checked my ID ... and a school bus drove by. On the school bus were many of my daughter's friends ... who immediately ran up to her and demanded to know why her dad was being arrested.

Anyway, Facebook just makes it all so much less complicated.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Wow! They do go all out! Do they also do Christmas?

(Not real jazzed about the civil war scene)
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
If you mean the tent? I thought it was just meant to be a tent. (tho I didn't read any comments; maybe they did call it Civil War)

But who's got THAT kind of time? To change the setting (weekly?) so that the tent appears to be erupting from the ground. Wow.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Neat. Thanks for posting it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm decorating my front step a little this year, but nothing over the top. My son loves Hallowe'en. His seasons run as: Spring, then Summer, then Hallowe'en time then Winter.

I'm making some lanterns and a door covering and a couple of tombstones and a few paper-mache skeleton heads for the trees. My only problem so far is he doesn't want me using the balloons to make the skeleton heads. I can blow them up, but then he says he wants them. Sigh. I'm sure he'll come around once I've blown up about 3 or 4 hundred balloons.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'm decorating my front step a little this year, but nothing over the top. My son loves Hallowe'en. His seasons run as: Spring, then Summer, then Hallowe'en time then Winter.

I'm making some lanterns and a door covering and a couple of tombstones and a few paper-mache skeleton heads for the trees. My only problem so far is he doesn't want me using the balloons to make the skeleton heads. I can blow them up, but then he says he wants them. Sigh. I'm sure he'll come around once I've blown up about 3 or 4 hundred balloons.
How old is your son HomeInMyShoes?
Old 10-07-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
cromag
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Wow! They do go all out! Do they also do Christmas?
Nope, just Halloween.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
If you mean the tent? I thought it was just meant to be a tent. (tho I didn't read any comments; maybe they did call it Civil War)

But who's got THAT kind of time? To change the setting (weekly?) so that the tent appears to be erupting from the ground. Wow.
Unless the weather gets bad they change it at least a little bit every day.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
How old is your son HomeInMyShoes?
Five at the end of the year. He's hilarious.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Five at the end of the year. He's hilarious.
Ah, just the right age to enjoy the magic of holidays like Halloween and Christmas.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #10
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Definitely. Definitely into the running around and getting candy.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:43 AM   #11
cromag

The skeletons are in for the season. If you didn't follow along through the month there are some "photo albums" at their Facebook page that are worth checking out. It was a real traffic stopper this year.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:28 AM   #12
cromag

The skeletons came back out on October 1st. This time the property owners have "built" an abandoned mine, a railroad, and a small cemetery -- with a hint of a special appearance to come.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:49 PM   #13
cromag

Some photos of this year's performance:

https://gma.yahoo.com/photos/spooky-...478942045.html