Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Archos tablets doubled sales last year. Tied Samsung in Europe.

I wanted a small WiFi handheld for vacation this past Christmas season.
Anyway, I have followed the French tablet company Archos for a while and hoped they would come out with a new Generation (9) Archos 5 replacement for the old ones which I had some experience with. Some actually have a 250GB and 500 GB drives. A friend has a 500.
They didn't, but on the spur of the moment in December, before we embarked on vacation, I bought from that friend, a used Archos 43 (4.3" screen) (generation 8), 8GB for $70 (less than half price.) It also had quite a few accessories, different chargers, cases, dashboard holder, screen covers, skins, etc. I got a 1 ft box packed! That was "frahse's" Christmas present!

I enjoyed using it.

The article I direct you toward shows that Archos doubled its sales last year and was tied with Samsung in Europe with both being behind Apple. Pretty good company.

http://liliputing.com/2012/02/tablet...s-in-2011.html

Last edited by frahse; 02-18-2012 at 11:30 AM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:31 AM   #2
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Link not active it seems. Pity, I was curious.
I have a ViewSonic that is clearly outdated and want a new 7" tablet, very light with all the goodies (ports, slots, connections) and running ICS. Still nothing around that fits the bill.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
I have an Archos 101IT gen 8 and I love it. When I will upgrade I'll probably get an Archos again. It's nice to hear that they are doing well.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Link not active it seems. Pity, I was curious.
I have a ViewSonic that is clearly outdated and want a new 7" tablet, very light with all the goodies (ports, slots, connections) and running ICS. Still nothing around that fits the bill.
Link works for me. At least right now.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Link works for me. At least right now.
For me too, NOW!
Maybe they were doing some server maintenance?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
frahse
occasional author

Some here might not be aware of the Archos 43's screen.

Quoted from Amazon:

"4.3-inch TFT LCD touchscreen with 480 x 854 (FWVGA) pixel resolution "

That compares favorably with the iPhone or iPod Touch's screen. About the same number of pixels on a 1 inch larger screen.
"iPod touch has a 3.5-inch display with 960-by-640-pixel resolution)."

Considerably lower cost. I got mine used for $70, and it has been $140 to $150 new at Amazon lately for 8GB, about half the cost of an iPod Touch 32GB, about $280 new. -- (note am considering that can add up to 32GB more to Archos original 8GB as needed for a total 40 GB)

Yes, no IPS screen like my sister's iPhone which I admit is superb and also not the reflective angle of the iPod Touch but still very good for a single viewer.

Add to this a micro SD slot (32GB) (adds onto the 8GB internal, and even Flash and it is a pretty good little product. Throw in a kickstand too.

I find it easier to read books/documents with the Archos than my wife's iPod Touch which is what I had expected.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
"4.3-inch TFT LCD touchscreen with 480 x 854 (FWVGA) pixel resolution "

That compares favorably with the iPhone or iPod Touch's screen. About the same number of pixels on a 1 inch larger screen.
"iPod touch has a 3.5-inch display with 960-by-640-pixel resolution)."
Well, if by 'about the same' you mean a third less.
Or in other words the iPhone has 50% more pixels.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Well, if by 'about the same' you mean a third less.
Or in other words the iPhone has 50% more pixels.
You are correct looking at the total pixels. However if you are in the landscape orientation, you find 854 pixels across the top for the Archos and 960 pixels for the iPod/iPhone.
That is near 89% not 66%, and it is on a wider screen, which makes that one line at at time, if you are reading a book or document or article, easier to read.

Then we consider the extras with the Archos, micro-SD, etc. and the higher cost of the iPod/iPhone.

I got it for a handheld device to read with. For those times I don't have my Kindle, or my notebook, or my desktop. Also, I put it in two waterproof zip lock type bags and I can use it on/in/near the water with less potential problems.

I won't buy my wife another iPod Touch unless they come out with something bigger. She is agreed on that. If they came out with a 4 or 5 inch iPod Touch with increased pixels, SD card capability, at the same cost or slightly higher than the last one, I would consider that a definite BUY!
Old 02-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
You are correct looking at the total pixels.
You said:
Quote:
About the same number of pixels on a 1 inch larger screen.
So yes, I was looking at the number of pixels.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote