Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #286
Fizzblizz
Fizzblizz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Would you be able to PM a link to a copy of a cc.db file containing various collections/books as I'd be interested in looking at it. Without a Touch it makes it a bit hard to do much with it, but it'd be good to see one and to start learning sqlite3.

Unfortunately the use of the file, if it supports editing and if I were able to add support for it in the plugin, would be very limited to people willing to hack their device and run the necessary commands to access it.
I moved it to a new topic: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1876696.

Also, it should not be a problem to move the database file to the flash storage like it has been already done with the screensavers. So yes, you would always need a jailbreak, but you have to move the file just once.
Fizzblizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #287
ekztal
ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
K4 also has built in custom screensaver support
1) modify /var/local/java/prefs/com.amazon.ebook.framework/prefs
2) Add this line: "screensaver.enable.userdefined=true"
3) put your screensavers into /mnt/us/sleepscreens
Why do I get a blankscreen when I do this? I put the images into D:\sleepscreens\ via windows and reboot

Is /mnt/us/sleepscreens the same directory as the one that gets mounted in windows when its plugged in via USB?
ekztal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #288
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
So I want to start working on the GUI package manager/launcher idea I had a while ago (read back). I was thinking of hooking on to the Menu system, because no matter where you are in the GUI, you could always tap the "Menu" button. There will be an option named "Launcher" and the package manager app will fill it using JSON data passed from packages (or packages could implement their own menu java class). I wrote down some ideas here: http://pastebin.com/aTZ9Xf5B

Does anyone have any input on this? What features should be implemented? What should I consider? etc.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #289
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
So I want to start working on the GUI package manager/launcher
Does anyone have any input on this? What features should be implemented? What should I consider? etc.
I was planning to use something like a GUI-enhanced launchpad hack, but use "Menu Menu" to popup my framebuffer-based menu. I really like your idea of just inserting your launcher as the first item in the existing menu. That could interfere with programs that send macro key sequences. It would have to integrate with TTS for blind users as well (Voice Guide)...

I think it needs to be user-configurable via a menu (not a config file) for users who like GUIs and NOT command lines. It needs a few basic integrated tools installed WITH it, including basic notepad, calculator, and clock/calendar apps, and a console (like myts-6). Versions of these may be found in other threads in this forum. Larger apps like hawhill's PDF reader would be add-ons that integrate into this GUI menu.

I *really* would like it to run on all kindle models though, which would probably require at least two completely different implementations underneath, but should look the same at the GUI level.

I plan to integrate a mini_fo copy-on-write filesystem as used in OpenWrt, so we can "virtually" hack the root fs all we want, without changing the real root (other than an init script and mini_fo.ko module).

Also, I think that for maintenance reasons, there should be only ONE jailbreak for both SO and non-SO kindles, but it should check for and enforce SO (not even allow disabling it if it was SO when first jailbroken). Unless there is an easy way to see that somebody paid to disable SO, the jailbreak would probably need to be reinstalled after the amazon update disables SO. It would be better to detect an official amazon SO disable though.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-13-2011 at 09:53 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #290
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I want the launcher to be simple and extendable. It can run shell commands or run "apps" (they used to be called kindlets on older models). There won't be a config screen, there is nothing really to config. There will be a package manager app included to uninstall apps (and maybe download new ones). Maybe mods will include their own HTML config page for the package manager to use (apps are written in HTML). I won't enforce Special offers because users are grown up and if they wish to do anything un-moral, it's on their own.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #291
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wink

Quote:
There will be a package manager app included to uninstall apps (and maybe download new ones).
Ooh... A virtual "App Store"!

The nice thing about a "standard" app launcher menu is that if an update disables it, only the underlying attack vector needs to be updated, transparently to all the apps. Having apps each rely on an MP3 'sploit (like Jesse's recent app), would make a lot of stuff break if a new method is needed.

Quote:
I won't enforce Special offers because users are grown up and if they wish to do anything un-moral, it's on their own.
When I asked a site moderator what their opinion was on threads for disabling SO or enabling 3G tethering, a site mod deleted the "Disable Ads on 79$ Kindle 4" thread, but then later put it back and sent me a PM saying that the mobileread site OWNER said that only ILLEGAL content is to be removed. Apparently, abusing amazon's trust is only immoral but not illegal, so okay here.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-13-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:40 AM   #292
kevinpars
Connoisseur
kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Personally, I am one of those who looks for options to things to do on the Kindle that can't be done. Changing from the special offers can be done through Amazon. Using different fonts on the other hand can not be done.

I am also in the camp that would be less likely to abuse Amazon's (or anyone's) trust than to break a law that seems silly. But I also understand why a site moderator would feel that policing legalities would be more important that policing morality.
kevinpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #293
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpars View Post
Personally, I am one of those who looks for options to things to do on the Kindle that can't be done.
I am also in the camp that would be less likely to abuse Amazon's (or anyone's) trust than to break a law that seems silly.
Many laws exist only as a tool for those in power to feed their thirst for more power and control over others, in a greedy attempt to grab a "bigger slice of the pie".

Morality, on the other hand, is what enables the growth of civilization, with its Golden Rule ("treat others as you want to be treated"), and its value-added philosophy of free and open sharing of ideas (Standing on the Shoulders of Giants).

"Hackers" (of the good "value-added" kind) tend to see political rules, ordinances, and laws (and other forms of bullying) as inconveniences, and seek a way around them in order to add end-user value, functionality and freedom (perhaps even flaunting some "laws" openly, when "flying under the radar" would be a safer approach).

"Crackers" (script kiddies, malicious pranksters, virus writers, and criminals) tend to see morality and trust as a weakness, and something to be abused to gain power and control over others, much like the politicians who create laws for the same purpose.

Developers by their very nature are hackers (by the original value-added definition). Because Amazon is one of the Good Guys (giving us "Special Offer" kindles at a price below manufacturing cost in some cases, subsidized by selling Ads to our eyeballs), we should not abuse the trust that Amazon has placed in us, by making it easy (or even tempting) to bypass the Special Offers that we agreed to in exchange for the reduced price.

So, let's continue to add value to these devices, while trying our level best to be nice to Amazon as they are being nice to us.

Meanwhile, outside in the "Real World", there are people who actually pay good money to purchase Special Offers in printed form, such as "Coupon Books". Amazon, on the other hand, is paying *us* to receive these Special Offers -- amazing!

And besides, if too many people abuse the Good Things (Special Offers, and free 3G Web access), history shows us that these things will just "go away". This sad fact of life is commonly known as "Tragedy of the Commons". Let's try *really* hard not to make that happen, okay?

[End "Hacker Philosopy" Lecture]

Now, let's get busy and add some value!

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-14-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #294
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
I activate the accelerator and on my Kindle Touch 5.0.0 firmware it actually does rotate the display any time there is a screen refresh event (power on, open a book, turn a page)
abishur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #295
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishur View Post
I activate the accelerator and on my Kindle Touch 5.0.0 firmware it actually does rotate the display any time there is a screen refresh event (power on, open a book, turn a page)
Good news! That means we can emulate the DX and DXG auto rotate feature by running a background script to periodically check /dev/accelerometer, and when it changes we can force a screen refresh event. Screensaver mode needs special handling, as can be seen in some of the init scripts, so there may be some added complexity, but it is certainly doable.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-05-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #296
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
Humorously, having learned this, I think I might eventually turn it off because it can be a hassle when I'm lying in bed and holding the book at an odd angle.

I also stumbled upon a low_level_screensavers folder that based on the names of the files, appears to have some of the images used when it's rebooting, or plugged in to a computer or charging. How can I upload files to and from the kindle beyond what I have access to just by mounting its drive? Is there a way to FTP into it?
abishur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #297
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishur View Post
How can I upload files to and from the kindle beyond what I have access to just by mounting its drive? Is there a way to FTP into it?
The SSH protocol lets you SCP into it. SCP is a secure replacement for FTP. On linux, just use the scp command. On Windows, install WinSCP and use that.

On linux, you can also mount a remote file system (like in a kindle) locally with sshfs. There are tools to mount SSH file systems on Windows too, such as Dokan (not to be confused with Duokan). Here is one that uses the Dokan library: http://code.google.com/p/win-sshfs/

You can use SCP over USB when usbnetwork is active, or over Wi-Fi (if enabled in the usbnetwork config file and/or firewall settings). When using SCP, the kindle USB Drive is located at /mnt/us.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-14-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #298
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
This SSH hack doesn't include SCP protocol. To enable it, copy sftp-server file from NiLuJe usbNetwork hack to Kindle folder /usr/libexec
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #299
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
This SSH hack doesn't include SCP protocol. To enable it, copy sftp-server file from NiLuJe usbNetwork hack to Kindle folder /usr/libexec
I do not yet have a K4 (out for delivery) or Touch (in transit), so I only have experience with DX/DXG/K3, which all use NiLuJe's usbNetwork hack. I was not aware that SCP was not included. Sorry...

It is good to know that it can be copied from the usbNetwork hack as you described. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-14-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:39 PM   #300
dmkbox
dmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animalsdmkbox is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Many laws exist only as a tool for those in power to feed their thirst for more power and control over others, in a greedy attempt to grab a "bigger slice of the pie".

Morality, on the other hand, is what enables the growth of civilization, with its Golden Rule ("treat others as you want to be treated"), and its value-added philosophy of free and open sharing of ideas (Standing on the Shoulders of Giants).

"Hackers" (of the good "value-added" kind) tend to see political rules, ordinances, and laws (and other forms of bullying) as inconveniences, and seek a way around them in order to add end-user value, functionality and freedom (perhaps even flaunting some "laws" openly, when "flying under the radar" would be a safer approach).

"Crackers" (script kiddies, malicious pranksters, virus writers, and criminals) tend to see morality and trust as a weakness, and something to be abused to gain power and control over others, much like the politicians who create laws for the same purpose.

Developers by their very nature are hackers (by the original value-added definition). Because Amazon is one of the Good Guys (giving us "Special Offer" kindles at a price below manufacturing cost in some cases, subsidized by selling Ads to our eyeballs), we should not abuse the trust that Amazon has placed in us, by making it easy (or even tempting) to bypass the Special Offers that we agreed to in exchange for the reduced price.

So, let's continue to add value to these devices, while trying our level best to be nice to Amazon as they are being nice to us.

Meanwhile, outside in the "Real World", there are people who actually pay good money to purchase Special Offers in printed form, such as "Coupon Books". Amazon, on the other hand, is paying *us* to receive these Special Offers -- amazing!

And besides, if too many people abuse the Good Things (Special Offers, and free 3G Web access), history shows us that these things will just "go away". This sad fact of life is commonly known as "Tragedy of the Commons". Let's try *really* hard not to make that happen, okay?

[End "Hacker Philosopy" Lecture]

Now, let's get busy and add some value!
Agree!!!
dmkbox is offline   Reply With Quote