Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 08-04-2014, 04:34 AM   #1
MikeX7
MikeX7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Post Bookpouch - Lightweight eBook keeping

Hello,

I am working on a very light weight eBook keeping application and I would be very happy, if you could spare a minute or two to help me with beta testing.

What is this application for?
It basically keeps your eBooks organized in a single list, which you can then filter via category, book title or series. You can also choose to synchronize marked eBooks with your reader device. (Yes that's it, like i said, very light weight )

All you need to do, is to download the zip file with the application, unpack it somewhere, run the exe and try to add a book or two in there to see if everything is working properly for you. I am developing on Windows 7, so i need to confirm, that it works OK on other Windows versions and on other computers as well. The application is portable, no installation needed. To remove the application, all you need to do, is to delete the folder.

Download link here Documentation Changelog
(the application is of course completely free and open source and it will remain that way)

If you encounter any bugs, please describe them here (or open an issue on gitgub), so i can fix them.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by MikeX7; 09-03-2014 at 07:01 AM.
MikeX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:31 AM   #2
canpolat
Connoisseur
canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Xodo
Hello MikeX7,

I gave Bookpunch a shot (Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit) and here are my notes:

When you open the Console using the "Show console" button' there doesn't seem to be a way to close the console window without closing the whole program.

The metadata editor is too basic and doesn't seem to always show the current values of the fields (it just comes up as an empty list of fields. Try http://contentserver.adobe.com/store...neChapter.epub).

I think the "Edit" dialog is a bit confusing:

1. It doesn't have a "Save" button to save the changes. You have to close the window and assume that it saves the changes. I would use a "Save & Close" button instead of relying on the "Close" button.

2. The "Discard" button seem to delete the book from the database. That was unexpected. I thought it would discard my changes in the form. Perhaps "Delete Book" would be more explicit?

When I edit the category field of a book and click the Close button, the EditBook windows goes all black and nothing happens. When I click the close button once more the window closes, but I don't see the category in the list of books.

I managed to crash the program by clicking around but there wasn't a way to capture the exception. Even when the console was open, since the program goes all unresponsive I couldn't copy the long exception message. It's somehow related to the Discard button (perhaps, when you change something in the fields and instead of closing the window, press the Discard button you get an exception? I don't know...) I suggest keeping the logs in a file in the same directory as the executable. That would help you a lot.

I also managed to crash the program once by clicking the 'Favorite' checkbox in the EditBook window.

There is not way to sort the books by author or publisher, or anything else.

The reason I tried Bookpunch is to see if you use the user's folder structure or copy them into your own (just like Calibre). Finding out that you copy the files, I lost my interest.

Verdict:
1. Bookpunch crashed so many times that I don't think it is ready for beta testing.
2. The metadata editor is too basic that I think it would be better off without a metadata editor.
3. Not using the user's folder structure is a show stopper for me (see: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....tory-structure).

Good luck with your development.
canpolat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:54 PM   #3
MikeX7

Thank you for your reply.
I will try to fix the mentioned crash bugs in the next version (more search/sort options are already planned as well).

As for the meta data editor, which fields/features do you personally think are missing?

Point for the Discard button is fair enough, I will change it to Delete. However, adding a save button into the edit form would be redundant, since the fields are saved automatically, so it would be basically just an "eye candy" button, that wouldn't really do anything. However I will add a hint there, explaining the fields are auto saved.

Allowing the user to use his own existing folder structure is an excellent idea, I actually haven't thought of that, I will definitely implement that option.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
canpolat
Connoisseur
canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Xodo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeX7 View Post
As for the meta data editor, which fields/features do you personally think are missing?
Actually, it's not a personal thing I think, a metadata editor should implement all the possible metadata fields of the OPF spec. The ones I find useful may not be useful to others, etc. Please check Sigil's metadata editor. It's the best metadata editor I have seen so far (I guess it's the only one that implements "role"s).

Quote:
Point for the Discard button is fair enough, I will change it to Delete.
Perhaps "Discard" is explicit enough for many people, but then it should at least be "Discard Book" so that we know what we are discarding.
Quote:
However, adding a save button into the edit form would be redundant, since the fields are saved automatically, so it would be basically just an "eye candy" button, that wouldn't really do anything. However I will add a hint there, explaining the fields are auto saved.
I believe a hint would be very useful for the user. Thanks.

Quote:
Allowing the user to use his own existing folder structure is an excellent idea, I actually haven't thought of that, I will definitely implement that option.
I think that would be a "selling point" for Bookpouch.

Good luck with the development. I think the competition in Digital Library Management is quite low and it's good to see new people taking the challenge.
canpolat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:32 AM   #5
MikeX7

The version 2.0 is out.
I did large code rewrites which optimize speed, fixed many bugs and added some new features.
The main changes include:
  • Support for user defined folder structure (you can simply point the bookpouch to an existing folder, which contains your books)
  • Switch from saving data as serialized .dat files, to sqlite database (this will leave no mess in the folder structure where you have your books, all data are saved in a single file) (Unfortunately this means Bookpouch v2.0 is not compatible with data saved in the previous version v1.0, which uses .dat files. However, the sqlite will be used from now on, so this won't happem again in any following versions)
  • Added advanced filter for searching the library. Filter parameters can be also saved as presets and used later with a single click

The documentation, more detailed changelog and the download link can be all found in the first post.