Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Weird sunlight side-effect on my K2

Okay,

I was sitting outside this morning, reading, but my K2 was in shadow. As I sat there, the Sun rose enough that the top part of the display popped into sunlight. And when I went to do a Next-Page, the part of the display *in* the bright sunlight faded to near invisibility. When I pulled all of it back into the shade and did a Prev-Page/Next-Page, the problem disappeared. I didn't have a camera at that time, but when I went to my home office where the camera was, there was a strip of sunlight that had been filtered through Low-E dual-pane window glass. So I took a picture of the (much-reduced) effect there. As you can see from the image, there's a diagonal swath of less-black letters.

Anyone else seen this happen in sunlight? The K2 is just over 15 months old.

Derek
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MyKindleInSunlight.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	860.0 KB
ID:	56921  
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I think there's been a known problem with some e-ink screens with the sun fade issue. I haven't heard so much about the kindles, but I know in the Sony forums there's been a lot of discussion -- go over there and search "sun fade."

Sony replaces units that have the sun fading, from what I understand, because it's a factory defect. I bet Amazon will too.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
I had a few kindle 2's with that issue. Sun-fade, or the vampire syndrome. It affected a small batch of Kindles.

Call Kindle CS, they should replace it for you, they did ( four times) for me ^^.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
I had a few kindle 2's with that issue. Sun-fade, or the vampire syndrome. It affected a small batch of Kindles.

Call Kindle CS, they should replace it for you, they did ( four times) for me ^^.
Good to know! It was just so 'weird', y'know???

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Good to know! It was just so 'weird', y'know???

Derek
I know. Don't let some KCS rep tell you that it's your fault. Most of the time Kindle CS is amazing, but the third time it happened, the guy I got told me that I shouldn't take it out when its hot out, that it wasn't meant to be used in direct sunlight, and that I needed to evaluate my expectations for the device.

Me: o_o.... I hung up and called back and spoke to someone else who was more than happy to send me another.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I replaced my K2 because of the sun fade issue. The replacement is fine.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote