Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #61
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Are you certain of that? Isn't the software GPL'd?
If you use software that is GPL'd you have to supply all the source code for free. I am not sure they want to go that far. Besides you can always load the lBook version.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #62
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Ahhh... Wordstar! Dot commands, control key short cuts, really the best most flexible word processor I ever used...
And it would run with only 640K Ram .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #63
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I've just about reached the same conclusion about eReader. I've started getting ePub versions of the few books I view as essential and deleted my links to B&N and eReader.com. This reminds me of what happened when "the big boys" took ownership of a word processor I once used. It was called Wordstar and was pretty good, but desperately in need of an update. Old line executives don't seem to understand the finer points of the digital economy.
That book cover yew see under my name to the left... I wrote most of it on WordStar using a Kaypro 4/84 CP/M computer. The book went on to win a literary achievement award and it got me on Oprah.

But that a was a while ago, back when I couldn't afford anything decent. Still, if nothing else it proves that WordStar was a capable processor. The way they programmed overlays to fit the entire program into 64K was nothing short of brilliant.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #64
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
That's very cool.

Totally unrelated and I'm merely curious...

Dare I ask why you say "yew" which is a type of coniferous tree, rather than "you" which is a personal pronoun?
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #65
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
That book cover yew see under my name to the left... I wrote most of it on WordStar using a Kaypro 4/84 CP/M computer. The book went on to win a literary achievement award and it got me on Oprah.

But that a was a while ago, back when I couldn't afford anything decent. Still, if nothing else it proves that WordStar was a capable processor. The way they programmed overlays to fit the entire program into 64K was nothing short of brilliant.
I could out-type Wordstar in CPM but that was a limitation of the hardware I was using. Wordstar was fast.

As I remember it, they hired a new CEO from a big name company when Wordstar was the wordprocessor and he laid off the programming staff. Something about how they wanted a permanent job writing code and he wasn't going to waste the money.

So along came MSDOS and Word Perfect, which kept their programmers working to stay ahead of the technology and Wordstar drifted into history. I hope that doesn't happen to eReader but it doesn't look good.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 03:47 PM   #66
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Oh well..... Looks like ESlick Firmware 2.0 has Ereader DRM Support.

Heres the link to their board...

http://forums.foxitsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=16414

Also now supports Epub
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/ebook/update.html

Last edited by Musicman; 12-04-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #67
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post

Off topic question. I have a ton of old wordstar files from when I used it for writing. I've not been able to find any conversion tool (for little or no money) to convert to text or MS Word. Are you aware of anything? Or know of a method of getting it to text or a standard format. (I do still have a version of wordstar that runs under windows)

Thanks.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #68
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
And it would run with only 640K Ram .
aah youngsters! I had Wordstar running under CP/M in 64k ram. PCs, DOS, etc hadn't even been invented.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #69
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
aah youngsters! I had Wordstar running under CP/M in 64k ram. PCs, DOS, etc hadn't even been invented.
I was there as well. Wordstar was my first word processor. Datastar was my first DBM application.

Those were the days.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #70
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Off topic question. I have a ton of old wordstar files from when I used it for writing. I've not been able to find any conversion tool (for little or no money) to convert to text or MS Word. Are you aware of anything? Or know of a method of getting it to text or a standard format. (I do still have a version of wordstar that runs under windows)

Thanks.
Have you been here
http://www.wordstar.org/wordstar/pages/convert_faq.htm
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:12 PM   #71
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I think I have, but will check again.

Thanks!

Yeah, the various versions cost money and/or the free conversion (for MSWORD) don't exist any more as they were discontinued or etc....

Last edited by kennyc; 12-04-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #72
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Musicman: where you been?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Oh well..... Looks like ESlick Firmware 2.0 has Ereader DRM Support.

Heres the link to their board...

http://forums.foxitsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=16414

Also now supports Epub
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/ebook/update.html

Dear Musicman,

Missed you!!

Robert
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #73
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I think I have, but will check again.

Thanks!

Yeah, the various versions cost money and/or the free conversion (for MSWORD) don't exist any more as they were discontinued or etc....
If you can get it printed out, scan it and run an OCR programme on it. That's what I had to do with some old word-processor files I had.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:54 PM   #74
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyrixx View Post
If you can get it printed out, scan it and run an OCR programme on it. That's what I had to do with some old word-processor files I had.
Maybe "print" it direct to a PDF file and run the OCR on that. Saves the trouble and inaccuracies of scanning.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #75
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Musicman,

Missed you!!

Robert
I have been here keeping my eye on things, just been quiet.

Looking forward to the coming Firmware upgrade on Monday...
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote