Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
RubenRybnik
Avid Reader
RubenRybnik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Unhappy I've got a few problems

I'm prefacing by letting you know I'm an idiot. My first problem is that I dropped it in an aquarium. It dried out, charged it, and it was fine other than these black lines that appeared on screen by the 1-10 buttons. Then the power switched stopped working. I tried using my phone charger (again, I'm an idiot) and a few days later it messed up. I changed the page, the lines got larger, I changed the page again, the lines grew to about a centimeter, then the book froze. The reset button does not accomplish anything, and as I said the power switch will not work. I'm leaving hooked up into the computer to charge until the problem(s) are resolved. Thanks in advance for attempting to salvage my poor reader.
RubenRybnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
You must be devastated and disappointed in yourself. I know your heart sunk when it happened.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
palo
Enthusiast
palo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T2
It may still have some water in it - try leaving it in a warm place for a few days - do not put it in the oven!!!

p
palo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
RubenRybnik
Avid Reader

I left it out in the sun for a day or two. It fell in the aquarium about 2 weeks ago.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Sorry for your loss. I think it's time to bury it and get a new one though.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
One of the best things you can do for small (or in this case, I guess, small-medium) electronics when they take on water is to :

1) do NOT try to turn them on
2) put it in a big ziploc bag filled with rice and let it stand there for a week
3) do NOT try to turn it on before the week is over.

I know a few people on another board who saved their cellphones/iPods by doing so...
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
RubenRybnik
Avid Reader

I mean the reader had worked pretty well after it dried out, other than the power switch not working, and it's been a few weeks since then.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
RubenRybnik
Avid Reader

And the computer is not recognizing the book. FML
Old 03-04-2010, 10:31 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirsier View Post
One of the best things you can do for small (or in this case, I guess, small-medium) electronics when they take on water is to :

1) do NOT try to turn them on
2) put it in a big ziploc bag filled with rice and let it stand there for a week
3) do NOT try to turn it on before the week is over.

I know a few people on another board who saved their cellphones/iPods by doing so...
I've heard this is has been successful for others as well.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:54 AM   #10
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenRybnik View Post
And the computer is not recognizing the book. FML
Hard lesson.... You damaged something (probably shorted) by using it with it still being damp on the inside..... grieve, and move on.....

You can just leave it somewhere and try it every once in a while... it could after a while work again... but it sounds like there is hardware damage....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:07 AM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
"It's dead Jim."

Sorry.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:30 AM   #12
georget99
georget99 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Pure water is essentially a non-conductor, but almost any impurities; minerals, sweat, fish poo, etc., make it conductive to some degree. Once it dries, the impurities left behind may still be conductive, even when dry.

As a last resort, you might give it a good soaking in distilled water followed by a long rest in a bag of rice.
georget99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #13
RubenRybnik
Avid Reader

Still not working, and I've left it out in the sun. :*( Now I have to read everything on the computer.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #14
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenRybnik View Post
Still not working, and I've left it out in the sun. :*( Now I have to read everything on the computer.

Sorry this happened to you. Definitely buy a new one.

I'm looking at an aquarium as I type, and y'know, that's not "normal" water in there. Some tiny circuit probably corroded after a few days.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote