Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Apple's real iPad competitor wasn't the Fire?

Apple's real iPad competitor wasn't the Fire?
It was its own new 4S iPhone.

Apple's biggest iPad rival: the iPhone 4S
by Roger Cheng February 16, 2012 6:24 AM PST

"Research firm IHS says money that would have normally been devoted to the iPad during the holiday quarter actually went to the newly released iPhone 4S.

Apple was its own worst enemy in the fourth quarter.

The biggest competitor to the iPad 2 was the iPhone 4S, market researcher IHS said today in a report on tablet sales in the fourth quarter. The firm concluded that despite other tablet options, what curtailed sales of the iPad 2 the most was customers committing their dollars to the iPhone 4S, which was released in October.

Clearly, the competition didn't hurt Apple too much. The company reported selling 15.4 million iPads in the fourth quarter, although that was overshadowed by the whopping 37 million iPhones it sold in the same period. Despite a raft of new entrants in the tablet business, Apple is still the clear leader.

Its leadership position, however, did erode slightly in the fourth quarter. Its market share slipped a bit to 57 percent in the fourth quarter, down from 64 percent in the third quarter.

Apple's iPad sales, while strong, fell below IHS's estimates. But don't blame the outside competitors like the Kindle Fire.

"The primary alternative wasn't the Kindle Fire--which debuted to solid sales in the fourth quarter--but Apple's own iPhone 4S smartphone," said Rhoda Alexander, an analyst at IHS."

(continued...)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-573...?tag=cnetRiver

My guess is that the Apple lemmings, as they leap off the cliff into the sea of this year's Air Jordan fanatics, and 3D TVs, and other cutting edge "acquirers," have only so much coin they can hurl into the Apple coffers. It must be agonizing for both the Lemmings (Apple customers) and to the Apple company that there just isn't any more money. Could this be the reason why Apple iTV hasn't taken off? The loyal and faithful have reached the limits on their credit cards? Their grandmother's egg money jar has been emptied? Their children's' college funds have been plundered?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
My guess is that the Apple lemmings, as they leap off the cliff into the sea of this year's Air Jordan fanatics, and 3D TVs, and other cutting edge "acquirers," have only so much coin they can hurl into the Apple coffers.
I have nothing to say, but K your way just for that sentence.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
More yawns... get a life folks... there are other things to do than jump up and down in glee with your "I hate Apple" diatribes... try something useful like "I hate social media grabbing my address book and publishing it." or "I hate... (fill in your own choice of multinat)" and change the tune for a bit...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
More yawns... get a life folks... there are other things to do than jump up and down in glee with your "I hate Apple" diatribes... try something useful like "I hate social media grabbing my address book and publishing it." or "I hate... (fill in your own choice of multinat)" and change the tune for a bit...
Thanks for your contribution, it was kindly redirected to /dev/null
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 6p, Nexus 10
So they made less money with one product because the money went to another one of their products? What an awful situation for a company to find itself in.
cjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
They faced this one before. iPhones cannibalized iPod sales. Their iPod functionality was always excellent.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
...My guess is that the Apple lemmings, as they leap off the cliff into the sea of this year's Air Jordan fanatics, and 3D TVs, and other cutting edge "acquirers," have only so much coin they can hurl into the Apple coffers. It must be agonizing for both the Lemmings (Apple customers) and to the Apple company that there just isn't any more money. Could this be the reason why Apple iTV hasn't taken off? The loyal and faithful have reached the limits on their credit cards? Their grandmother's egg money jar has been emptied? Their children's' college funds have been plundered?
I own an iMac, an iPad, and an iPod. Does that make me a lemming?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
The phones make apple more money anyway would be my guess, they should not be complaining. The end-customer does not have to shell out as much money upfront, they just get their contract renewed for another 2 years. The carrier is going to pick up the slack. Now if you could make a phone call with an iPad, and have 4g capability on it, that would draw a lot of people away from the iphone. With a bluetooth headset you could even still surf while calling.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Thanks for your contribution, it was kindly redirected to /dev/null
Terribly sorry that you misunderstood... it wasn't a contribution, it was a comment... different things but possibly a bit too subtle for the linear hating groupies (and the nook overlords)...
Old 02-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #11
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Terribly sorry that you misunderstood... it wasn't a contribution, it was a comment... different things but possibly a bit too subtle for the linear hating groupies (and the nook overlords)...
No, you misunderstand. If you acutally meant what you said, you would not have lifted a finger in replying. Why did you even bother to look at the thread if all you going to say is that people need to stop complaining about apple. You can do that, by not reading about it in the first place ...
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #12
elcreative
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
No, you misunderstand. If you acutally meant what you said, you would not have lifted a finger in replying. Why did you even bother to look at the thread if all you going to say is that people need to stop complaining about apple. You can do that, by not reading about it in the first place ...
And if you let the c**p go by without comment then you are tacitly supporting it... and I wasn't just talking about Apple but the general trend of having a go at multinats of which Apple is usually (but not always) the example attacked...
Old 02-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #13
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Come on fellow. I don't hate Apple. I admire the company and wish I had stock in it. I do dislike their content and media selling though. I don't like their pricing for sure.

Now that said about a very clever company, I have to wonder about the customers that it seems to have mesmerized into believing that they must have every product, every upgrade, every color, etc. and that will stand in line for days to get a product, and even riot. (Thinking of China here.) I wonder about those folks and then I decide that they belong to the ilk of people that riot to get the new Air Jordan shoe, or spray pepper spray while getting an game console, and so on.

All those type people, I would say have much in common with the renown lemming. But I can emphatically say I don't hate lemmings or Apples or you.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:41 AM   #14
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Come on fellow. I don't hate Apple. I admire the company and wish I had stock in it. I do dislike their content and media selling though. I don't like their pricing for sure.
I share this sentiment. At work, I'll poke fun at the couple people who are knee-deep in all iThings. But, that's just because they're the type who will denounce anything not Apple and try to shove their beliefs down throats worse than even the most persistent missionary or Jehovah's Witness.

I don't hate the company. They make nice looking things that apparently work well for those that use them. I personally don't have any desire to own them, but more power to those that do. If/when I take a jab at the company, it's more in disdain for some of their practices (their recent trend of "litigate instead of innovate," marginal upgrades in devices for big prices, etc) and their die-hard fanboys.

Onto the topic at hand...

It somewhat makes sense. I mean, if I had the option between a great spec'd phone that I could easily fit in my pocket and a tablet with comparable specs but it's considerably bigger... I'm going to take the phone more often than not. But, that's just me.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:26 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I own an iMac, an iPad, and an iPod. Does that make me a lemming?
Depends... Do you have a fur?

OT: I'd say that this is bad planning. These two devices shouldn't bite each other but complement each other. So, either release them together, or give the populace adequate time to recover from buying the first so they can buy the second... (in case of Apple, that would take a year or so )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote