Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-01-2007, 07:36 AM   #16
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
And I have no obligation to buy Sony again. Why should Sony? Because that is what aggressive competitive businesses to do get you to keep buying their products. Because enough customers felt cheated that the product did not have it to begin with. Rokku, Slingbox, Tivo, Apple, etc... all provide frequent updates which add functionality. As a result people are exited to buy their new product. I'm pretty sure that if a new competing product with more functionality comes out, many people here will switch since Sony has generated very little loyalty through their non-responsive, non-supportive approach to this product. And, insofar as the folder option, a simple "Turn Folders On/Off" in setup avoids that problem.
Love my reader with all its faults but don't have that warm and cuddly feeling about Sony that will make me come back again.
That said, update went fine. Lets hope it doesn't break something else like the last one.
Nowadays people should not be brandminded anyway. I'll buy the thing that give me the best compromises for the price I want to give out. The brand is not even important.

If another fameless company came out with a reader which had better specs than the sony reader, i'd have bought that nameless reader (bookeen?)

But back to firmware... besides the fameless meizu miniplayer (mp3), I've never seen a firmware-updates that would add much functionality to the product.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:40 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
And I have no obligation to buy Sony again. Why should Sony? Because that is what aggressive competitive businesses to do get you to keep buying their products.
I have lots and lots of Sony products - a Sony TV, DVD recorder, digital camera, Notebook PC, and Reader, to name but a few. I buy Sony because they make high-quality products; I certainly don't expect them do "add" stuff to the products I buy from them. I've never had a product that's done that, to the best of my knowledge.

Quote:
Because enough customers felt cheated that the product did not have it to begin with.
Sorry - "cheated"? Why would anyone feel "cheated" that a product didn't do something that its specification never claimed that it did do? If someone has false expectations about a product, that's down to poor product research on their part.

Quote:
Rokku, Slingbox, Tivo, Apple, etc... all provide frequent updates which add functionality. As a result people are exited to buy their new product.
You mention Apple as a company which does this - I've owned half a dozen iPods, but I honestly can't recall Apple ever adding a new feature to them during their lifetime - I have to go out and buy a new one if I want new features. What features has Apple added?

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that if a new competing product with more functionality comes out, many people here will switch since Sony has generated very little loyalty through their non-responsive, non-supportive approach to this product.
I disagree. Many people here have reported very happy experiences with Sony Support - eg replacing a Reader even when the user has messed it up through messing with with the firmware. The only time I asked support a question I received back a polite, prompt answer. Support for my other Sony products has been equally good, which is which I keep buying Sony products -I'm on my 3rd Sony VAIO notebook, for example.

What negative experiences have you had with Sony support?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2007, 07:57 AM   #18
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Just echoing some common sentiments here:

Upgrade: I upgraded with no problems. The battery was at 3/4 charge and when finished the battery showed full charge.

I use a 2-gig SD card. Access to titles does not faster to me.

Vulunerability: no one's tried to steal my Reader.

Whine: I don't understand why Sony can't put one of those car-alarm systems onto the Reader; you know, the alarm that SCREAMS at anyone who gets too close or who tries to access my Reader without my authorization.

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:05 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Upgrade: I upgraded with no problems. The battery was at 3/4 charge and when finished the battery showed full charge.
There you go, you see. You upgrade, and the Reader's battery completely recharges itself. Magic!
Old 08-01-2007, 08:06 AM   #20
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
I have only had 2 issues with my Reader. One was that it claimed awesome battery life, and if I put it down for a week it lost a bar on battery without touching it. If this update repaired that issue, then I got exactly what I wanted out of it. Now if they would improve the speed of PDF it would become perfect.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2007, 08:18 AM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
I have only had 2 issues with my Reader. One was that it claimed awesome battery life, and if I put it down for a week it lost a bar on battery without touching it. If this update repaired that issue, then I got exactly what I wanted out of it. Now if they would improve the speed of PDF it would become perfect.
Keep in mind that the Reader is always ON, whether you touch it or not [use it or not].

We all get about 3-4 weeks of use before a recharge This will become somewhat more frequent as the Readers' batteries age.

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:23 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But is the Reader always on with the new firmware?

We know this update is for bug fixes. But we also know that Sony has said they will be implementing Digital Editions. So, maybe we kjust have to wait till that is ready for more features to be added.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:43 AM   #23
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But is the Reader always on with the new firmware?
I have not updated my reader yet(*), but I am pretty sure it is still always on.
I very much hope it is always on. If I wanted a reader that takes several minutes to start I would have purchased Iliad ;-)

Try switching it "off" and "on" again. If it goes through the same steps that are performed after reset, then it is, indeed, always on.

(*) I will wait for *several months* before updating.
Since I have not even updated it to the previous version of firmware, this second update does not do ANYTHING that would be even remotely interesting or useful for me.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:56 AM   #24
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
As far as simple fixes, I just want them to fix the ability to create Collections in the SD card. Anyone tried it to see if this firmware upgrade fixes that?

My personal list of future improvements is larger than I think a simple firmware fix would address.
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:01 AM   #25
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Just echoing some common sentiments here:

I use a 2-gig SD card. Access to titles does not faster to me.

Don
It's supposed to speed up memorysticks, not sd-cards. I did feel it was a bit faster. But I have to test again when i'm home again.

Quote:

Vulunerability: no one's tried to steal my Reader.

Whine: I don't understand why Sony can't put one of those car-alarm systems onto the Reader; you know, the alarm that SCREAMS at anyone who gets too close or who tries to access my Reader without my authorization.
If you need alarm, you need this feature: http://www.parkoz.com/zboard/view.ph...ages2&no=37634

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflashman View Post
As far as simple fixes, I just want them to fix the ability to create Collections in the SD card. Anyone tried it to see if this firmware upgrade fixes that?

My personal list of future improvements is larger than I think a simple firmware fix would address.
Thats more like a feature than a fix.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:13 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
I have only had 2 issues with my Reader. One was that it claimed awesome battery life, and if I put it down for a week it lost a bar on battery without touching it. If this update repaired that issue, then I got exactly what I wanted out of it.
So are you saying that you'd like to have to wait a full minute or so for the Reader to "boot" every time you turn it on? That's essentially what you're asking for in requesting that the operating system shut down when you turn the Reader off!
Old 08-01-2007, 09:35 AM   #27
tigajr
tigajr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Wink Nice welcome answer.

First of all, thank you, Mr. Harry T, for your welcome answer.

I apologize for what I am going to say, I am not being disrespectful.

I have been reading this excellent site, Mobileread, for a long time. That was my first post and I didn’t know I was causing so much “nausea”. That rude answer tells me that you have discussed that subject “ad nausiam” and the conclusion is: I can’t bring back this theme anymore. Well, sorry, I didn’t know that. I have to read the forum rules.

The main argument is completely flawed: the ordinary man in the street can’t do understand that.... In other words, yours, they should be an expert to understand what a folder is. Oh my, people continue to use it. Come on, I cannot believe I am still reading arguments like that. Millions of people have iPods, mp3 stereos in cars, download music from iTunes, etc., and only that guy who only push the power button and click on the IE icon buy a Sony Reader?

The billion-dollar Sony are worried because will receive “many” ordinary guys calling them because they don’t know where they saved a book.

There are problems with the firmware. For example, we can have compilations on memory, but not on MS. Well, at least I dont know how to do that. Now, with a "new" firmware, they permit us to use 4GB MS. Nice, now I can install hundreds of books and flip all day long with no organization? This is a big issue, in my opinion, I respect others opinions. Even If it were a new functionality what is wrong with that?

Now the last pearl: You knew the capabilities of the system when you bought it; Sony have no obligation to provide you with new stuff free of charge. Where do you work? At Sony? Months to correct a battery meter they broke? What Iliad users are thinking, getting lots of new functionalities free of charge? What Canon, Nikon, Samsung, etc. are thinking implementing new functionalities in camera firmwares free of charge?

Defending Sony, saying that the support will be answering many ordinary man, will help us a lot. You should think seriously about your arguments.

Oh my, what Sony was thinking when put a function to program a Vcr to record on Saturday?

Tiga Jr.

obs.: My main language is not english. Sorry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
We have discussed the folder issue ad nausiam. The reason that it doesn't have folder support is without doubt because the ordinary man in the street, the non computer expert, does not understand or want folder support, and finds them confusing and baffling. Add folders and Sony would be flooded with support calls of the "I've downloaded a book and stored it on my Reader and now it's vanished" type. Don't believe me? Ask anyone who has to deal with the public on a computer support desk.

Why would you expect "new" functionality in the bug fix update such as this. You knew the capabilities of the system when you bought it; Sony have no obligration to provide you with new stuff free of charge. These updates are to fix bugs, and that's what they do.

Last edited by tigajr; 08-01-2007 at 12:09 PM.
tigajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:45 AM   #28
tigajr
tigajr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Smile Long post.

I apologize for the spaces between paragraphs and I forgot to delete the copied quote. Well, I am one of those ordinary guys.

Thank you.

[FONT=&quot]Tiga Jr.[/FONT]
tigajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:47 AM   #29
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigajr View Post
I apologize for the spaces between paragraphs and I forgot to delete the copied quote. Well, I am one of those ordinary guys.
[FONT=&quot]Tiga Jr.[/FONT]
Please notice that you can edit your previous post. I sometimes correct small typos in my posts using that feature.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:48 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigajr View Post
The main argument is completely flawed: the ordinary man in the street can’t do understand that.... In other words, yours, they should be an expert to understand what a folder is. Oh my, people continue to use it. Come on, I cannot believe I am still reading arguments like that. Millions of people have iPods, mp3 stereos in cars, download music from iTunes, etc., and only that guy who only push the power button and click on the IE icon buy a Sony Reader?
Look at the typical PC - one owned by an average person, rather than a computer expert. You honestly will find the people don't use folders - they stick everything in "My Documents" (if they're using Windows).

Sony made a deliberate effort to "flatten out" the folder view of the SD card. The only reason they would have done this is because their market research told them that this is what people wanted. They aren't alone in that - Microsoft do the same thing with the Pocket PC.

No, I don't work for Sony, but I do run my own software company and I deal with "non computer geeks" on a daily basis and know that they can have enormous difficulty with concepts that you or I find obvious. Large companies like Microsoft and Sony spend huge sums of money finding out what it is that their target markets want and don't want, and the Reader is specifically aimed at the "man in the street", not the computer expert.