Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #106
kpw
Connoisseur
kpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Galaxy Note 8, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
I think you should be able to choose a later date or not. In case you want to make some books up front now, but maybe not after the next load.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I think a year out is great. No need to make it flexible, because anytime we want we can use the plugin to change the books shown.
Although I have no problems with making things configurable, I'm inclined to think in this case that simpler is better (granted, that may just be a reflection of how I do things, so it may not match everyone's preference). In other words, I think always setting a future date doesn't really have much of a down side since you can always reset the book selection with another run of the Books List action. And if you are loading books through Calibre, then running the action is pretty easy to do.

This is the approach that is currently implemented in the latest iteration. I'll keep things that way for now, unless I get more feedback suggesting otherwise is prefereable.
kpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #107
kpw
Connoisseur
kpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkpw can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptkiddy View Post
While using this great plugin today I ran into a bug.
Apparently when you delete a book on the Reader and in the Library that has been set as Headline-book before and then try to set a new list, the plugin searches for the old book on the reader and crashes if it cannot find it, instead of setting the new list.
I'll see if I can duplicate the problem - if so, I should be able to fix the problem easily enough (I think I might know what is happening, related to the latest updates I made). If not, I may get back to you to ask more questions.
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #108
kpw
Connoisseur

Hi cryptkiddy,

I've been able to see the issue and I have a fix. I need to test some more before I release it, but I wanted to ask you for some more specifics to make sure I'm covering the right scenarios.

Can you tell me how you deleted the books from your reader when you ran into the issue? As far as I can tell, the only real possibilities are to either delete the book using Calibre (i.e. delete from the device book list), or to delete the book using the OS (e.g. using Windows File Explorer or command line). Does this cover your situation?

Thanks for letting me know. I always delete books from the reader directly, so I didn't think to test this scenario out.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #109
cryptkiddy
cryptkiddy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpw View Post
Can you tell me how you deleted the books from your reader when you ran into the issue? As far as I can tell, the only real possibilities are to either delete the book using Calibre (i.e. delete from the device book list), or to delete the book using the OS (e.g. using Windows File Explorer or command line). Does this cover your situation?
What I actually did was delete the book directly on the device. When I connected the reader the next time my readinglist auto send kicked in and I had to delete it all over again. ;-)
That time I used calibre, to delete it in the library and on the device. So this last one is probably what is causing the problem.

Thanks for your time.
cryptkiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #110
kpw
Connoisseur

Manage Sony x50 Reader Book List plugin update v1.2.6

New version v1.2.6 of the Manage Sony x50 Reader Book List plugin has been posted with the following update:

1.2.6 September 6, 2011 Fix issues that cause plugin failure when books are deleted from the reader using Calibre or directly from the file system while reader is connected to Calibre.
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #111
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Although I have no problems with making things configurable, I'm inclined to think in this case that simpler is better (granted, that may just be a reflection of how I do things, so it may not match everyone's preference). In other words, I think always setting a future date doesn't really have much of a down side since you can always reset the book selection with another run of the Books List action. And if you are loading books through Calibre, then running the action is pretty easy to do.

This is the approach that is currently implemented in the latest iteration. I'll keep things that way for now, unless I get more feedback suggesting otherwise is prefereable.
What I meant was to choose either now or a later date. Not that the later date be configurable as to what date in the furture you set.

So we are saying the same thing. I was just not as clear as I could have been.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #112
quisvir
Addict
quisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle PW2
Hi kpw,

I seem to have come across a small issue with the plugin. If a plugboard is used to change the title of a book when uploading to the device (e.g. to include the number in a series), the plugin doesn't put such a book in the list when using the collections-based approach. Calibre does recognize the book in the library as being on the device though.

qusivir
quisvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #113
kpw
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by quisvir View Post
I seem to have come across a small issue with the plugin. If a plugboard is used to change the title of a book when uploading to the device (e.g. to include the number in a series), the plugin doesn't put such a book in the list when using the collections-based approach. Calibre does recognize the book in the library as being on the device though.
Thanks for letting me know. I need to research a little to find out how plugboards work and work that into my matching algorithm.

Just to clarify though, do you see this issue when you configure "Device Collections" or "Library Query"? For the collections approach, the plugin just looks at books on the device and doesn't do any matching with anything in the library, so I think things should work there (assuming the plugboard support sets the book title in the device book file to the updated value - this is part of what I'll be researching ). For the query approach, I can see that the plugin would fail to find matches between the library query results and the device since I'm assuming exact matches between titles in the library and titles on the device (and I think this assumption falls apart when plugboards come into the picture).

In any case, I'll see what I can do to fix things up.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:57 AM   #114
quisvir
Addict
quisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Just to clarify though, do you see this issue when you configure "Device Collections" or "Library Query"? For the collections approach, the plugin just looks at books on the device and doesn't do any matching with anything in the library, so I think things should work there (assuming the plugboard support sets the book title in the device book file to the updated value - this is part of what I'll be researching ). For the query approach, I can see that the plugin would fail to find matches between the library query results and the device since I'm assuming exact matches between titles in the library and titles on the device (and I think this assumption falls apart when plugboards come into the picture).
You're right, I'm actually using a library query, not device collections (#status:=Reading). Perhaps it would possible to feed the library title to the plugboard component, which then returns the converted title? But of course that's from someone who doesn't know the first thing about Calibre's inner workings

On a similar note, I always use library restrictions to switch between read/unread and fiction/non-fiction, keeping the tag browser closed. Might it be possible to give the plugin an option to perform its library query on the entire library, not the restricted one? I often read a fiction and a non-fiction book at the same time (so both have #status:=Reading), but keep my view restricted to fiction - so the plugin only sees one.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #115
kpw
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by quisvir View Post
On a similar note, I always use library restrictions to switch between read/unread and fiction/non-fiction, keeping the tag browser closed. Might it be possible to give the plugin an option to perform its library query on the entire library, not the restricted one? I often read a fiction and a non-fiction book at the same time (so both have #status:=Reading), but keep my view restricted to fiction - so the plugin only sees one.
Hi quisvir,

I had always intended the library query to work against the library as a whole and not just against the current state of the library view (i.e. subject to restrictions, etc.). So this is actually a bug (I was using a restriction-sensitive version of the search). I've got that fixed, so now queries should apply to the full library.

As far as configuration options are concerned, I'd rather not surface this as something that the user can turn on/off (i.e. allowing users to specify whether queries respect restrictions or not). Mainly for reasons of simplicity. If someone really wants queries that have restrictions applied, he/she can configure separate profiles with an explicit query that applies (or not) the restriction in question.

In any case, I'll post the latest version of the plugin in this post, in case the old behaviour is bugging the heck out of you, or if you just want to try it out. I'll wait until I get the plugboard issue worked out before I officially release it though.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ManageSonyX50BookList_plugin.zip (47.2 KB, 158 views)
Old 09-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #116
quisvir
Addict

Thanks for the very quick fix, kpw! The new version is working perfectly. And I'm happy to hear that the behaviour I was hoping for was actually what you intended

As for the plugboards, there's no rush of course. There is always the option of using the selection method, if a book happens not to be picked up.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #117
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I had always intended the library query to work against the library as a whole and not just against the current state of the library view (i.e. subject to restrictions, etc.). So this is actually a bug (I was using a restriction-sensitive version of the search). I've got that fixed, so now queries should apply to the full library.
I don't have an opinion one way or another, but I think your plugin might be the only instance of a part of calibre not respecting the current library restriction. Of course this might be the best way to handle this situation.

Thanks for all your work.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #118
kpw
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I don't have an opinion one way or another, but I think your plugin might be the only instance of a part of calibre not respecting the current library restriction. Of course this might be the best way to handle this situation.
For me, I think of the plugin as being a utility that works with the device book lists. The library query is an alternative way of getting at that list, but I don't personally see the usefulness of filtering access to the device books based on the current state of the library view.

Of course, this is likely just a reflection of how I use the plugin (and the fact that I don't really use restrictions much). I'm sure others use it in different ways (that's what makes development fun ), so opinions may vary.

Once I release my latest (very soon, since I've gotten the plugboard support working now), I'll leave the query non-restriction sensitive, since that was my original intent. But if I get feedback that users find it confusing, I can rethink the decision.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #119
kpw
Connoisseur

Manage Sony x50 Reader Book List plugin update v1.2.7

New version v1.2.7 of the Manage Sony x50 Reader Book List plugin has been posted with the following update:

1.2.7 September 11, 2011
  • Handle scenario in a better way where books are added through the OS before reader connects to Calibre and before reader firmware processes the books.
  • Change library query support so that queries are not subject to Library View restrictions (i.e. queries work against the full Calibre library).
  • Add support for plugboards so that library query result matching to device books takes plugboard metatdata manipulation into account.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #120
quisvir
Addict

Marvellous work kpw, thanks again