Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-05-2024, 07:59 AM   #91
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
This thread reminds me of this post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=4091
Yeah. So? I'm perfectly well aware of the kind of person I am. Does that stop me from expressing my opinions, regardless of others liking them or not? Nope.

Personally I can't stand people who come to MR of all places and complain about missing paper books. I can't be bothered to be nice and understanding to them. Go back to your paper books, then, if you like them so much.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 08:02 AM   #92
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Personally I can't stand people who come to MR of all places and complain about missing paper books.
There's a bit difference between missing paper books and missing some aspects of paper books.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2024, 08:44 AM   #93
foice
Enthusiast
foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Android reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It seems to me that foice is not saying that they don't want to use calibre, but that they would like an extra capability in calibre. Which is entirely reasonable.

And this thread has been useful, in that it's got foice a work-around, and allowed them to bring into focus what they do want.

Now whether there's any developer also interested in the kind of feature foice describes and willing to create it is another matter.
Yes it has been useful.

But still I need to complain that the culture on the forum is very "bouncy", rejecting as a default and not trying to improve, collaborate and understand what others are saying. Many posts are not useful, filled with rejection and unnecessary sarcasm that tries to diminish by hyperbolae the proposals made by others. It looks like many forum writers are under some form of psychological stress when reading and cannot handle a proper conversion with proper arguments that go beyond mere opinion "I do not see point", "I do need it", "You way of organizing things is wrong".

Reflect on what you write guys, the internet does not need to be a less human place than the real world.
foice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 08:46 AM   #94
foice
Enthusiast
foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.foice once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Yawn. You might be happy with the shorter post, I prefer to explain my thinking a bit more.

As for wasting on CO2? An interesting theory. Do you stop breathing while not reading what I write? Does your breathing speed up so you produce more CO2 while reading what I wrote? What exactly does "wasting on CO2" mean? An analogy to tripping on LSD? A meaningless phrase?
You will be denied the dignification of a response until you stop using sarcasm instead of trying to be helpful.
Old 01-05-2024, 08:51 AM   #95
foice
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
You do know you're posting in a public forum, right? People can reply however they wish, and you won't necessarily like what they have to say.

It seems to me that you shouldn't be using Calibre at all. The point of Calibre is to organise your library, which is exactly the opposite of the disorganised library you seem to want.
Dear "guru". No, people is not allowed to reply "however they wish". Replies need to be respectful, not dismissive, and try to help or reply onto the original post topic. Be useful.
Advert
Old 01-05-2024, 08:58 AM   #96
foice
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It seems to me that foice is not saying that they don't want to use calibre, but that they would like an extra capability in calibre. Which is entirely reasonable.

And this thread has been useful, in that it's got foice a work-around, and allowed them to bring into focus what they do want.

Now whether there's any developer also interested in the kind of feature foice describes and willing to create it is another matter.
You know what would be useful and may even 99% solve the issue? Having a "Save to disk" that saves _only_ the covers of the book, with some well formatted names. Then I can throw the cover images in some graphics program and do all the "messy" organization I want there.

I believe that being able to export only the cover images is a meaningful feature and that can be even be useful to other people in other contexts. Is there already a way to export/save-to-disk just the cover images?

At present I would need to go one by one into my book entries, add the cover.jpg file to each book metadata and then 'save single format to disk' (which is not able to 'save to as singe folder').
Old 01-05-2024, 09:03 AM   #97
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
1. Add custom integer column in Calibre
2. Populate it with a random number generator
3. Sort by that column
4. When bored, redo frrom 2.

Or

Go to View and pick "Read a Random Book".
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 09:30 AM   #98
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
You do know you're posting in a public forum, right? People can reply however they wish, and you won't necessarily like what they have to say.

We should all follow the guidelines, like number 1. Discuss Things Politely ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 11:06 AM   #99
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foice View Post
Replies need to be respectful, not dismissive, and try to help or reply onto the original post topic. Be useful.
Nope. I can be just as dismissive as I like.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:24 PM   #100
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Not to me. That's what you do with physical objects, not with digital ones.
Do you routinely use drag and drop? (I don't myself, but many seem to.) If so, isn't that also simulating pysical object manipulation?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 01:04 PM   #101
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Do you routinely use drag and drop? (I don't myself, but many seem to.) If so, isn't that also simulating pysical object manipulation?
Only when moving files from one folder to another. Yes, it is a physical manipulation, of course, but I don't actually know any other way to do it. Is there an easier way? (No command line options, please, that's complete Greek to me).
Old 01-05-2024, 01:11 PM   #102
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by foice View Post
You will be denied the dignification of a response until you stop using sarcasm instead of trying to be helpful.
Hmmm.... you do realize that your post is a trifle risible since it is a response to my post.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 01:14 PM   #103
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
We should all follow the guidelines, like number 1. Discuss Things Politely ...
You do realize that it is entirely possible to disagree with someone and explain the reasons why you disagree without being impolite. It does appear that some people consider any opinion that disagrees with their opinion as being impolite to express but that's their problem.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 01:35 PM   #104
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
OK, folks, topic. Take the discussion of manners to PM if you must continue it. Thanks.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 01:53 PM   #105
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Only when moving files from one folder to another. Yes, it is a physical manipulation, of course, but I don't actually know any other way to do it. Is there an easier way? (No command line options, please, that's complete Greek to me).
CLI is by far easier for me, so I have no alternative to suggest for you.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover and books, cover art, display