Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-29-2008, 06:29 PM   #196
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please do. I would be very interested in seeing the process.
Done. It's here.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:43 AM   #197
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
I must be lucky then... although there's IMO a limited amount of things you could screw up. Basically, you need to:

1. Rename the font file correctly.
2. Edit the font's metadata correctly, and this can be relatively easily done with FontCreator.
3. Make sure you're working with a TrueType font, and NOT an OpenType one, because that will surely brick your reader. If you have an OT font, you can convert it to an OT font with TT outlines with FontCreator, and the Reader supports those (I'm running just such a font file on mine).
4. Place the file in the correct folder of the universal flasher.

That's it, from what I can see. You can only mess up one (or more) of those steps, I can't see where else you could go wrong. I got everything working on my first try, in a whole 15 minutes. No bricking, nothing. Had to reload my books again though, for correct pagination (although that is to be expected).

EDIT: If there's demand, I would be willing to write up a detailed, step-by-step guide (with screenshots) on how one can easily change their default fonts.
Hello, Valloric.

Did all that. Every single step, plus a few other ways posted around that always ended with my Reader bricked. Only thing I have not tried is replacing the letters from Dutch one by one with the one I want (Futura Lt Bt), that was suggested right before holidays. Right now I am creating reader size PDFs out of docs, that allow for a simpler formating of the text and, with the font I want, turn the pages much faster than LRFs.

A thorough explanation of the process could come handy, but I think the success of the replacement procedure depends on the font you pick. Futura is TT.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #198
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
Had some spare time and inserted Lithuanian localization in 0.05 version. For some reason was not able to fix "Books by Title" appearance on top message window. Maybe somebody more skilled than me will do that. Flash as per JeffElkins instructions.

Last edited by stasys; 08-30-2008 at 06:21 PM.
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:50 PM   #199
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoran View Post
Jeff, many thanks for your perfekt work!

Greetings from Germany
Hardly perfect, but I really appreciate the thanks
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:35 PM   #200
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasys View Post
Had some spare time and inserted Lithuanian localization in 0.05 version. For some reason was not able to fix "Books by Title" appearance on top message window. Maybe somebody more skilled than me will do that. Flash as per JeffElkins instructions.
Are you sure it was 0.05 you added to or was is 0.05a? 0.05a is the current version and if you added to 0.05, you'll have to go add to 0.05a and change your attachment to reflect this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2008, 03:38 AM   #201
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
Jon,
I was playing with 0.05 not 0.05a. This latest includes Croatian and Italian locale. I see no reason to put my locale in any new version of customizer only because some new languages were added. I will do that when/if new hacks will be implemented.
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:04 AM   #202
pkaak
pkaak began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
From the first message, the hacks:

Which of these require explanation?
Joystick page forward

I'm guessing that the joystick is the left/right/up/down circular button?
Is it's normal function overwritten with the page forward function when I check it ?
pkaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:13 AM   #203
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkaak View Post
Joystick page forward

I'm guessing that the joystick is the left/right/up/down circular button?
Is it's normal function overwritten with the page forward function when I check it ?
Calling it a joystick is actually misleading. It used to be a joystick on the 500, but on the 505, it's a joypad.

And to answer your question the answer is yes. You will lose the history back/forward if you change it it to be page turn buttons. But, there are alternatives to the history such as the page turn circle or the volume up/down. So while you can change the joypag into page turning, you don't have to lose the history functionality.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:59 AM   #204
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
You will lose the history back/forward if you change it it to be page turn buttons. But, there are alternatives to the history such as the page turn circle or the volume up/down. So while you can change the joypag into page turning, you don't have to lose the history functionality.
You do not lose history back with joystick page forward enabled. For the record, I've never needed history forward, myself.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:09 AM   #205
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasys View Post
Jon,
I was playing with 0.05 not 0.05a. This latest includes Croatian and Italian locale. I see no reason to put my locale in any new version of customizer only because some new languages were added. I will do that when/if new hacks will be implemented.
Best practice for locales is to route them to porkupan. Once he signs off on a locale, I'll merge it into PRSCustomizer.

In the future, rather than zipping up the entire PRSCustomizer bundle for locale testing, just zip up the required files from directory prsfiles. I really don't want multiple versions of my program floating around for download.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:34 PM   #206
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
You do not lose history back with joystick page forward enabled. For the record, I've never needed history forward, myself.
So the joypad forward is just page forward and no page back? And is history back then still enabled? I've not really used history forward all that much. But I do use history back especially reading Discworld books.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:46 PM   #207
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So the joypad forward is just page forward and no page back? And is history back then still enabled? I've not really used history forward all that much. But I do use history back especially reading Discworld books.
Yes, that's correct.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:59 PM   #208
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The 500 version of that hack change both the history back/forward to page back/forward. That is why I made the history hacks complete.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #209
roofone
Enthusiast
roofone began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, ipod, ipad
Hi, Thanks v. much for this. I've been using it since v0.03.

However, I've been having some odd trouble with my reader since I upgraded to v0.05 and applied a custom font (per Valloric's instructions). My reader boots fine, and I can read books. I can plug it in to my computer and access it as a removable drive. But, I can't run the updater on it or access it through the Sony ebook software.

When it's plugged into my computer the reader blanks, and the updater and ebook software take a long time to start, and then don't recognize the reader (the ebook software displays it, but says "error"). After unpluggin git, the only way to unblank the screen is to reset it.

To try and fix it, I've reset it, formatted the internal memory, and tried running the updater, and tried running the universal flasher (as soon as I insert my SD card, the screen goes blank and no button seems to wor. Resetting it fixes it.)

How can I fix my reader?

Thanks.
roofone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:01 PM   #210
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by roofone View Post
How can I fix my reader?
Have you tried the unbricking procedure described in Appendix C of my guide? Also, did you use version 0.05 or 0.05a? The guide was designed and tested with version 0.05a.

Also, did you reset the Reader via the updater before using the guide?
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote