Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-14-2014, 02:01 AM   #1
santanar
santanar began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW2
Difference between Japanese and International Kindle Models

Hey guys,

I am currently living in Hong Kong and want to buy a Kindle Paperwhite 2. As it is not sold official by amazon here, I was looking for parallel import devices. The only ones I found were imported from Japan for a very competetive price (9300 HKD ~87 EUR). The one thing that makes me hesitate is that I dont know the differences between the japanese (PW2J, serial# begins with B05A, 905A)
and international models (PW2, serial# begins with B0D4, 90D4).

Can anyone help me ? Is it possible to root the PW2J?
santanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:21 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I believe the main difference is the 3G Japanese version only works (the 3G, that is) in Japan, and the Japanese version has 4GB storage, not 2GB.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2014, 02:22 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The jailbreak WILL work.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:54 AM   #4
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Also it comes standard with a Jap - Jap Dictionary installed, but you can download other dictionaries that better suit your needs.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
santanar
santanar began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW2
oh very cool, thanks for your help. I dont need 3G anyway and ofc I prefer 4 GB over 2 GB :-)
santanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2014, 09:07 PM   #6
JohnRR
Connoisseur
JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Also, Japanese Kindle Paperwhite 2 doesn't have simplified Chinese interface. Amazon doesn't want people form Mainland China to buy parallel import from Japan. It wants them to buy the official ones sold in Mainland China. But of course, it can read both traditional and simplified Chinese books without problems.
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:19 AM   #7
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1, and iPhone XS Max
4GB? Wish I'd known that before ordering mine. I would've imported if I'd known. Why does the Japanese model have double the storage? Or should I be asking why ours has half :-\
Vmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:27 AM   #8
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmurph View Post
4GB? Wish I'd known that before ordering mine. I would've imported if I'd known. Why does the Japanese model have double the storage? Or should I be asking why ours has half :-\
Japanese is what is called a double byte rendering, hence each character requires twice the amount of storage, so the Japanese get the same amount of storage as Americans with regards to tyre amount of books the Kindle will hold.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:44 AM   #9
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1, and iPhone XS Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Japanese is what is called a double byte rendering, hence each character requires twice the amount of storage, so the Japanese get the same amount of storage as Americans with regards to tyre amount of books the Kindle will hold.
Ahh, I see. Thank you for explaining. I feel a little foolish now.
Vmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #10
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmurph View Post
Ahh, I see. Thank you for explaining. I feel a little foolish now.
No need to. If you are not a persisten user of Japanese e-books or software there is no way you can be expected to have encounter these idiosyncarcies.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:21 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
No need to. If you are not a persisten user of Japanese e-books or software there is no way you can be expected to have encounter these idiosyncarcies.
Depends how the book is encoded - if it's in UTF8, some characters will be single byte, other double-byte. If it's UTF16, all characters will be double-byte. Do Amazon Japanese books all use UTF16? I've no idea.

Last edited by HarryT; 04-16-2014 at 08:42 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #12
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

The single byte characters in UTF8 are all alphabetic, numeric, Cyrillic, wingdings, line drawing etc, when you get to Hanzhi, Hangul and Kanji you reach the double byte segments. If nothing else for backward compatibility.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Punctuation is also single-byte. I'm certainly not disagreeing with the basic point, though, that most of a Japanese book will be double-byte encoded.

Last edited by HarryT; 04-16-2014 at 06:00 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:34 PM   #14
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Actually, even punctuation is double bytes, they look like this.
、?!。『 』
The two to the furthest right are quotation marks.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:38 AM   #15
Yellowfrog
Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Available in HK

Quote:
Originally Posted by santanar View Post
Hey guys,

I am currently living in Hong Kong and want to buy a Kindle Paperwhite 2. As it is not sold official by amazon here, I was looking for parallel import devices. The only ones I found were imported from Japan for a very competetive price (9300 HKD ~87 EUR). The one thing that makes me hesitate is that I dont know the differences between the japanese (PW2J, serial# begins with B05A, 905A)
and international models (PW2, serial# begins with B0D4, 90D4).

Can anyone help me ? Is it possible to root the PW2J?
FYI, I've seen the Paperwhite available at much more competitive prices, via what looks like an official importer; look here for the places to buy Kindles in HK:

http://www.e-motech.com/wheretobuy/index.html

I have seen the 4GB model in Bookazine as well.
Yellowfrog is offline   Reply With Quote