Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 02:05 AM   #1
e=mc^3
e=mc^3 began at the beginning.

Device: none
kindle DX and .prc format in Vietnamese :)

Hi,

I am going to buy the kindle DX because i read mostly math text. However, i have lot of Vietnamese novel .prc and i wonder if kindle dx will display it correctly. I read the manual and it say that it support .prc, but i dont know about the language. I attach here one .prc file in Vietnamese. Would some one give it a try pls .

Thanks

Chuong
Attached Files
File Type: prc An may di vang.prc (397.9 KB, 463 views)
e=mc^3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:15 AM   #2
Filbert
Filbert began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I'm wondering the same thing. However, I've already ordered myself a Kindle DX Graphite. It should be shipped to me several days from now. Will let you know later
Filbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 06:31 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
*squish*

(See next post )

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-06-2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Wrong info.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
jotran2003
jotran2003 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
I can confirm that Kindle DX can read vietnamese without hacking.
I got the kindle for my father so can't test your file for you - but I found that if I can read the .prc in Mobireader then I can read it on the kindle successfully.
jotran2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Woops.

Yep, my bad, you're right. At the very worst there might be some digraphs or diatrics missing, but it should essentially work with a vanilla Kindle, yeah.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
eSach
eSach began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Dx, Sony eReader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by e=mc^3 View Post
Hi,

IHowever, i have lot of Vietnamese novel .prc and i wonder if kindle dx will display it correctly.

Chuong
I can confirm that original kindle dx can display Vietnamese text from .prc file without any problem. All characters are displayed similar to Microsoft word document.
eSach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
e=mc^3

Great new , thank you very much.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I dont know what Vietnamese is supposed to look like but I loaded the .prc into my kindle dx and took two screen shots.
The wierd thing was how slow the dx was while turning pages... much much slower than with other books.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCREEN~1.GIF
Views:	852
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	54705   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-21060.gif
Views:	647
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	54706  
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:54 PM   #9
e=mc^3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I dont know what Vietnamese is supposed to look like but I loaded the .prc into my kindle dx and took two screen shots.
The wierd thing was how slow the dx was while turning pages... much much slower than with other books.
Thank you so much. It displays the file correctly. Cant wait for the kindle dx graphite. Oh, regarding the turning pages, I think kindle is faster then Soney 900, not sure...
Old 07-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #10
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you so much. It displays the file correctly. Cant wait for the kindle dx graphite. Oh, regarding the turning pages, I think kindle is faster then Soney 900, not sure...
I am glad the text looks good... as for the speed, I was comparing the prc you posted to other kindle books. It now nothing awful don't get me wrong
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #11
Tluong
Tluong began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook & Kindle
Quote:
Hi,

I am going to buy the kindle DX because i read mostly math text. However, i have lot of Vietnamese novel .prc and i wonder if kindle dx will display it correctly. I read the manual and it say that it support .prc, but i dont know about the language. I attach here one .prc file in Vietnamese. Would some one give it a try pls .

Thanks

Chuong
I have Kindle 1 and I could convert the MS Word Vietnamese Unicode files to text files then use Mobipocket Creator to create the .prc files which I can read on my Kindle 1 and I think they can read on Kindle 2 and DX with no problem.

Here what I did:

-Open the Unicode Vietnamese file with MS Word (mine is MSWord 2003).
- Save it as a Plain text file (*.txt) (Choose Other Encoding :Unicode)
- Use Notepad to open this .txt file.
- Click on Format=>Font to change to the font: Times New Roman, click OK

Now you can read the Vietnamese characters perfectly.

-Save this one over the old .txt one.
-Use Mobipocket Creator for Windows to convert this new text file to prc file
-Transfer this prc file to your Kindle to read.

Good luck
Tommy
Tluong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #12
Tluong

Read Vietnamese novels on Kindle

Hi Chuong

I could not read your An May Di Vang.prc file on my Kindle1 and even with my Mobipocket Reader for Windows.

So what I did:

-Opened your file with Calibre (free on http://calibre-ebook.com/download)
-Used Calibre to convert it to a TXT file
- Used MSWord to open this new TXT file
- Save it as a Plain text file (*.txt) again (Choose Other Encoding :Unicode (UFT-8)
- Use Notepad to open this .txt file.
- Click on Format=>Font to change to the font: Times New Roman, click OK

Now I can read the Vietnamese characters perfectly on Notepad.

-Saved this one over the old one.
-Use Mobipocket Creator for Windows to convert this new text file to prc file
-Transfer this prc file to my Kindle to read.

I can read it on my Windows Mobipocket Reader and my Kindle 1. I think it can also readable on Kindle DX

I attached the new An May Di Vang FYI.

Good luck
Tommy
Attached Files
File Type: prc An may di vang - Unknown.prc (899.3 KB, 268 views)

Last edited by Tluong; 10-03-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #13
e=mc^3

Hi Tommy,

Thanks so much for the tip. I'm sorry, don't know why you have problem reading the file with mobipocket reader because I can read it without any conversion.

Chuong
Old 12-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #14
rargos
rargos began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Deleted

Last edited by rargos; 05-07-2014 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Deleted
rargos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
Tluong

Quote:
Originally Posted by rargos View Post
Thanks! I can read your .prc file just fine and see the characters properly, but when I try to follow your instructions, my .prc doesn't display properly. What settings are you using for Mobipocket Creator? I'm not sure which Language and Encoding settings I should use : English (or Vietnamese) and Unicode (UTF8)? The input text file is UTF8 and displays properly in Notepad, so I think I'm okay up to there.

Thanks again!
R.
-First please make sure you have a MSWord Vietnamese document in Unicode.

- Then save it as a Plain text file (*.txt) (Choose Other Encoding :Unicode, not UTF8)

- I did not change the setting of Mobipocket Creator

Good luck
Tommy