Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2006, 11:53 PM   #1
alexjlee
alexjlee began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
connect store downloads books i didnt order! Terrible connectstore support

so my connect store has taken to downloading books (and expensive ones too!) that i didnt order.

That wouldnt be a problem, but it won't download the book i purchased. It gave me a different one instead!

I contacted support using the email enquiry, but i get a typical canned response. I'm hesitant to spend any more money incase i get the wrong book again.

Anybody else seen this or know of a way to speak to real people at the connect store?

alex.
alexjlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:08 AM   #2
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Weird, never heard of that happening. What book did you buy vs what you received?
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2006, 11:49 AM   #3
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
No problems here either, but I only bought 2 books so far.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:01 PM   #4
alexjlee

most of the books i purchased work, but here is an example:

I purchsed "Michael A. Cusumano - The Business of Software"

my account shows the correct book. Next thing i know the connect software has downloaded:

"Tony Buzan- the power of spiritual intelligence"

which is certainly not what i ordered!

Of course, now i'm hesitant to buy anything else. I wouldn't want to throw money away! Anyone know if there is a phone support line, i got nowhere with email support.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:46 PM   #5
heavyB
heavyB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader/Treo 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjlee
most of the books i purchased work, but here is an example:

I purchsed "Michael A. Cusumano - The Business of Software"

my account shows the correct book. Next thing i know the connect software has downloaded:

"Tony Buzan- the power of spiritual intelligence"

which is certainly not what i ordered!

Of course, now i'm hesitant to buy anything else. I wouldn't want to throw money away! Anyone know if there is a phone support line, i got nowhere with email support.
This is a clerical error when they did the dataentry. Much like a librarian putting the a similar title in the wrong section of the library.

Software doen't make near mistakes with like titles like this, I doubt it's a problem with CONNECT as an app, but with CONNECT as it's administrated/cateloged.
heavyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2006, 02:21 PM   #6
alexjlee

regardless they don't seem at all keen in dealing with the problem.
they haven't offered me the correct book or a credit in return.....
Old 10-26-2006, 02:33 PM   #7
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Someone else around here said when they called Sony they received much better service than over email, try to give them a call?
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:52 PM   #8
alexjlee

don't know if ranting here did the trick, but they recontacted me, so all is well again in connect-software-world.

thanks!
Old 10-28-2006, 12:26 AM   #9
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Alex--
I'd like to ask a question that's been on my mind ever since I heard about the reader:
Is this a new, reformed SONY?
I remember owning a VAIO and the only medium for customer service was email, a FAQ forum that answered none of my questions, or a chat session with a "person" that I'm still convinced was a 'bot.

It really seems like SONY is reaching out; allowing SD cards, listening to this forum & its users. Is it a cunning plan?

So I guess the question is to everyone:

Is SONY trying to remove its stigma at having bad customer service, if any at all?
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:12 PM   #10
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu
Is SONY trying to remove its stigma at having bad customer service, if any at all?
That question would deserve its own thread or poll even!

My opinion: yes, they are trying.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:01 AM   #11
winjama
winjama began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
Hi,
I've bought around 20 books so far from Connect - most with no problems. However, I purchased a bundle of seven books.
Of the seven, I received five correctly. The last two I did not. Instead of the two I ordered as part of the bundle, I received two copies of the same book by some other author entirely.
I have emailed (both directly through Connect and by separate email) now three times... I have yet to get any sort of response from them.
I am not impressed.
Although I have bought a fair number of books from Connect, I must say, the site is kludgey at best. It is awkward to navigate, takes far too much scrolling and clicking to do anything and is quite slow to respond.
I can only hope it improves as time goes on.
Likewise, I can only hope to get a response from Connect Customer Support someday.
On the plus side, I really like the eReader. It's a neat feeling to be able to carry around a pile of books and have such a little weight to deal with.
Thanks for letting get off steam.
winjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:13 PM   #12
MRMcGuire
MRMcGuire began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I had the same problem until today. After repeated email exchanges (all polite) restatng the problem over and over, SONY finally went in to the database and fixed their internal pointers (?) so that when I downloaded the book I purchased I actually got the book I purchased. This took 3 weeks. Today, it downloaded a different wrong book, but a second attempt downloaded the correct book for the first time. They obviously have some work to do on their enterprise applications.

I've only had this problem with one book. All the others I've purchased to date downloaded properly.
MRMcGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:29 PM   #13
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
I had the same issue, I purchased one book, Connect downloaded another. I e-mailed support with no response. I followed the link to live support, they advised me to call Connect Support. I talked with the gentleman on the phone about the problem, he said tech support would fix the content problem on that book, and e-mail me the coupon to download the correct book. Let's see what happens.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:31 AM   #14
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
When I talked to Sony support last week they said that there is a free update to the CONNECT software scheduled for January 2007 that will resolve many issues including VISTA instals.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:50 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's very good to hear. The problems that have been described in this thread, however, sound like simple database problems on the Connect Store server - ie some human being has typed something in wrongly - rather than software problems.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote