Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
UK: new Sony Readers on 10th September; free Dan Brown with preorder

As reported by theBookSeller.com:
Quote:
Waterstone's is offering customers a free e-book copy of the new Dan Brown novel if they pre-order one of two new Sony Readers: a touch-screen device and a pocket version. The new Readers, unveiled by Sony earlier this month, will be available in the UK from 10th September. Waterstone's will be the only retailer selling the device in the UK, apart from Sony, for a week.
[...]
The Reader Pocket Edition costs £179.
[...]
The Reader Touch Edition costs £249.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...o?pPageID=1918
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
I can't load Waterstone's site right now- does anyone know if they're taken up shipping Readers outside UK again? Many thanks!

EDIT: it seems they didn't oh well, I can wait a bit...

Last edited by Juliette; 08-25-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
bavardage
Enthusiast
bavardage began at the beginning.

Device: none
I really don't understand where those prices come from. Really irritates me - per www.xe.com $299.99 = £183.34 so that's a £70 premium. HMM.

Does anyone know of US stores which ship internationally?
bavardage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
Riocaz
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yea apparently in the UK they have to cover additional costs due to our sales protection laws...

Usually whatever it is we can expect a straight $1 to £1 conversion so this usn't too bad for once.
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavardage View Post
I really don't understand where those prices come from. Really irritates me - per www.xe.com $299.99 = £183.34 so that's a £70 premium. HMM.

Does anyone know of US stores which ship internationally?
B&H, where I'd order my PRS-600 as soon as I get cash on my bank account there's Fry's too, but it hasn't the PRS-600 in its catalogue yet.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
There's a useful'ish comparison table (pdf) on the waterstones site as well
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
bavardage
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
B&H, where I'd order my PRS-600 as soon as I get cash on my bank account there's Fry's too, but it hasn't the PRS-600 in its catalogue yet.
Thankyou. You win
Old 08-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
bavardage
Enthusiast

Yeah, with B&H it seems it works out at around £220 (with shipping)
Old 08-25-2009, 12:20 PM   #10
Riocaz

Not to mention customs fees and admin charges when it arrives in the country...

You might be lucky, but don't count on it.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecE View Post
There's a useful'ish comparison table (pdf) on the waterstones site as well
They've got some thing wrong though; PRS-300 doesn't have audio player or picture viewer.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #12
Juliette
I eat books

Quote:
Thankyou. You win
Glad to have been helpful- I've been drooling on that page about the new Reader for weeks, seems like ages

Also, Ea told me they have a nice customers' service, and I've seen you can choose the shipping method. I think I'll go for Fedex, because it's cheaper and usually doesn't stress the poor boxes too much, like the usual postal service do as for customs, at least it's less messy than arranging travel at least at the moment!

The only point against B&H I could tell you is they don't have the "new" covers at the moment, but the old ones (for the PRS-505) should work. The PRS-600 comes with a neoprene pouch, but I'm not sure it's, ahem, entirely suitable to my lifestyle
Old 08-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #13
bavardage
Enthusiast

Oh customs. We have to do stuff with customs? What does that involve (never done this buying overseas thing before)
Old 08-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #14
Riocaz

You receive your package from Fedex or whatever courier and they bill you whatever customs charge + tax + an admin fee...

Often the admin fee is the largest chunk (the one for my 505 was about 25 quid).

They used to refuse to deliver until the bill had been paid. Apparently they can now charge you afterwards instead (as I phoned and complained when I got a random bill through the post 2-3 weeks after my reader had arrived)
Old 08-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #15
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Oh customs. We have to do stuff with customs? What does that involve (never done this buying overseas thing before)
Usually it means that the Fedex/UPS guy will not release your reader to your hand until you'll pay him the custom amount + surcharge (They'll have already paid it for you at the border).
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote