Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Any Radiologists using a DX?

I'm thinking of getting a DX for my wife, who is in radiology. She has a lot of articles to read that she prints out and carries with her everywhere. Backbreaking stuff when it all gets bundled together.

Anyone have an experience to share who is in radiology or studies similar works on the DX?
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
ndkraus
ndkraus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Possible answer

I'm a 4th year med student hoping to match into radiology. I've put a bunch of pdf textbooks I have onto my kindle 2. I believe with the DX there are still the same number of levels of gray. With the K2, it is difficult usually to get a great view of images, even with zooming, because of the aformentioned limits on gray levels. If you have any other questions or specifics let me know.

- Neal
ndkraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's good info. I was really hoping that it would work out for her - I thought maybe the images would be on par with what we can print on our home printer which she seems fine with. But from what you're saying, it's not going to be good enough for her.

Oh well. I guess I'll have to justify the DX some other way..
Old 06-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
avkaji
avkaji began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 / Kindle DX
I'm a neuroradiologist as well as Kindle 1 and Kindle 2 owner. Just got Kindle DX today, ostensibly for the purpose of reading radiology journal articles, which are almost exlcusively in PDF format. It's at home charging and downloading while I'm here reading MRI's. Can't wait to get home and try it out with some journal articles from Radiographics or AJR. Will post tonight or tomorrow and let you know how it looks. While I could see that plain films could suffer from some dithering, I suspects US/MR/CT should be fine. We'll see.
avkaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The iLiad has 16 grey scales (like the KDX) and a smaller (8") screen. See Photos from medical journals for screenshots (copies of the screen bitmap) and actual photos of the screen. The PDFs are attached also, so someone with a KDX could try them out and post screenshots (press Alt-Shift-G to make a screenshot on the KDX).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
weatherman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by avkaji View Post
I'm a neuroradiologist as well as Kindle 1 and Kindle 2 owner. Just got Kindle DX today, ostensibly for the purpose of reading radiology journal articles, which are almost exlcusively in PDF format. It's at home charging and downloading while I'm here reading MRI's. Can't wait to get home and try it out with some journal articles from Radiographics or AJR. Will post tonight or tomorrow and let you know how it looks. While I could see that plain films could suffer from some dithering, I suspects US/MR/CT should be fine. We'll see.
Please let me know your experience. My wife is in neuro as well.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I used to design software for a Radiology Information System and I know that 16 grays scales are just too few to duplicate a film that was intended to be used for a diagnosis (and a film is a lot larger than the KDX screen), but I'd still guess that it would work fine for PDF article purposes.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
avkaji
avkaji began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 / Kindle DX
Well, after putting a few PDF's on the DX, things are a little bit plus and minus. Depending on the file, it does take a good bit of time (often > 10 sec) to load a page and rotate to landscape. With your average Radiographics article, the images look decent, but the text is really quite small. Rotating to landscape works, but often produces funny breaks to the next page (such as in the middle of an image) and you have to go back and forth between pages since most of them are in a two-column format. PDF's of older journal articles can suffer from poor image reproduction (probably secondary to the way they were scanned.)

So overall its a mixed bag. But I have to admit it's fun reading regular books and the DX since there's so much more text to read between page turns.
avkaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
weatherman
Addict

Thanks for that, avkaji. I guess ebook technology still has a ways to go in order to replace such image-centric academic material. She does like it for reading novels though, so maybe I'll just have to get her the K2 for casual reading and wait until the screen technology improves before getting her one for work.