Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #46
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I wonder how much they are working on the software in term of hours per week. I get the feeling that if the system was open with an SDK we would have got a very good system now since the man hour people would have spent on this would have been a lot more than what Bookeen can afford to spend on it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:26 AM   #47
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Well, you can always help in porting OpenInkpot
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter View Post
Having to upgrade software is one thing. But needing to upgrade hardware people paid 350 euros for is another. Obviously the first customers should have gotten this firmware to begin with.
And this view is based on how much practical use of the Gen3, exactly?

Really, with respect, I don't think you're in any position to disagree with the views of those of us who've been quite happily using the Gen3 for close to 6 months now. The current firmware is perfectly usable as it is. It is definitely NOT "beta" software in any way whatsoever.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #49
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
As the saying goes: to each its own.

If I paid £280 for a gadget and one of its the most important features would lock my reader every 3-4 words, I would go balistic! It is not as you say now: dictionary lookup ocasionally does not work - it locks up reader, at least that is what you said before. Lock up! Completely destroying a reading session atmosphere.

So, no. Thank you very much. I prefer to use a small encarta dictionary and have a non-bugged reader.

Let alone, that I would expect to hear about such bug from the moment it was discovered...but I am too honest and not a businessman though.
I've used two different dictionaries on my Cybook ever since I got it in December and I look words up regularly. I've never experience any kind of hang ups or any other kind of issue with my dictionary usage. I think this must have been fixed a while ago or it was only an occasional quirk for a few people that has since been resolve.

Last edited by ProfJulie; 04-01-2008 at 12:05 PM.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #50
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The problem her is that there is two versions of the software. The first one had some show stopping bugs. The unannounced firmware update and also the firmware shipped in new devices seems to fix most of these issues but not all.
"show stopping bugs"? Really? I think not. The few bugs I encountered never stopped the show for me.....and never made me rethink my selection of the Cybook.
Advert
Old 04-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you got firmware v538, Julie? If so, you don't have the hang/reboot bug.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:06 PM   #52
ProfJulie
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you got firmware v538, Julie? If so, you don't have the hang/reboot bug.
I only recently installed that version. I had the earlier version when I first got the Cybook in December.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:15 PM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Although I did have the bug with my Chambers dictionary (but I know that many other dictionaries worked fine), I didn't regard it as a "show stopper" either. It was a minor irritation, no more. Perhaps I'm just a tolerant person .
Old 04-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #54
bookwormfjl
Book Junkie
bookwormfjl has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505; Cybook Gen 3; Kindle 1; Kindle 2; Kindle DX; Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler View Post
Isn't the lack of page numbers rather an major annoyance though? It's the one thing that stops me from getting a Cybook over a Sony...

Any chance a firmware update will fix that?
The lack of page numbers drives me crazy! The Mobipocket Reader software has page numbers and you can use multiple fonts/sizes.

Johnny
bookwormfjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:36 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I'd definitely like page numbers - my CyBook often forgets where it was when it's powered up, and bookmarks often disappear.
If I knew what the page number had been, it'd make it easier to find where I'd got to. (I was reading a 1000+ page novel recently, and it was a nightmare trying to home in on where I'd left off ).
The fact that page numbers would alter with format isn't a problem , since I wouldn't be changing the format - so page numbers should stay consistent (more or less).
But would you actually take the time to look at the page number when you stopped reading and then be able to actually remember the page number when you wanted to continue? I have page numbers with my 505 and I have no idea what books are at what page numbers other then the ones I've not yet started to read.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
The fact that page numbers would alter with format isn't a problem , since I wouldn't be changing the format - so page numbers should stay consistent (more or less).
I do, you see, so they'd be pretty useless to me. I constantly change the font size to suit lighting conditions, how tired I'm feeling, etc.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:22 PM   #57
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Quote:
I do, you see, so they'd be pretty useless to me. I constantly change the font size to suit lighting conditions, how tired I'm feeling, etc.
ditto

This whole page number controversy is a hilarious. People, when you get a pBook you find multiple pages, so each one is assigned a number. When you get Cybook you get *EXACTLY* one page - the display - so no point dislpay page 1 of 1. Cybook is just another manifestation on your browser. Think of it as a digital printing press. Instead of a single book version you can produce any number of versions by changing attributes such as font type and size. Therefore just as browsers don't have page numbers so Cybook doesn't either. Instead it has a scroll/progress bar. Again, for the same reason why scroll bar is superior in a borwser it is also better in Cybook. The only software that actually does have page numbers is the one which is designed to produce output for physical pages, such as Word.

If I am really keen on seeing that stupid numbers (which doesn't happen very often) then I simly use the "Goto page" command that displays current page and total number of pages for current settings.

As for dictionary lookup ....
Frankly I had mine crash on bigger and more coplex PDF files. Not to mention HTML which I given up on. Of course it will crash on some things, being V1. What do you expect????? If you want a polished produce everyone knows *NOT* to get V1. The question is if the device is sufficiently functional and its core functions are reasonably trouble free. Thus far based on our experience (actual Cybook users) we are fairly happy.

That being said, we are all looking forward to an update. I just wonder if the update itself has serious flaws will it be easy to back out, to remove it?
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:25 PM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_ninja View Post
That being said, we are all looking forward to an update. I just wonder if the update itself has serious flaws will it be easy to back out, to remove it?
If you have a copy of the v538 firmware file (as I do) I don't see why you shouldn't be able to go back.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #59
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
If you have a copy of the v538 firmware file (as I do) I don't see why you shouldn't be able to go back.
Ummm... No. If the update firmware (which the build 538 does) has the erase-and-install setup, then you can do a full install. However, I've gone back through the updates I've received from Bookeen and most - four out of six - only had an install-changes update. The firmware was modified but not completely erased. The full-install updates tend to run more than 9MB in their zip file. The others run about 5MB.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:57 PM   #60
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
I've used two different dictionaries on my Cybook ever since I got it in December and I look words up regularly. I've never experience any kind of hang ups or any other kind of issue with my dictionary usage. I think this must have been fixed a while ago or it was only an occasional quirk for a few people that has since been resolve.
Neither have I had hangups with 3 dictionaries. However, I do have to keep reminding myself that I'm using the Cybook and it has dictionaries, unlike my old Sony PRS-500.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote