Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
karenbryant
Enthusiast
karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
iBookstore - so I must have a Mac to publish, right?

Hi all,

I'm looking into listing my books on the iBookstore. Reading their requirements, it appears I need a Mac OS. Is that right? Is there no workaround for Windows users? Or does it mean I'll have to buy Mac in order to list my titles?

Thanks,
Karen
karenbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenbryant View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking into listing my books on the iBookstore. Reading their requirements, it appears I need a Mac OS. Is that right? Is there no workaround for Windows users? Or does it mean I'll have to buy Mac in order to list my titles?

Thanks,
Karen
I am no expert on this, but I don't think you need a Mac computer. I think you might only need iTunes and an account and I have had those myself. Someone with more Apple expertise will know more, I am sure.

If you have to use a Mac, a friend, or a library should be able to help, or you can get a used Mac. I have relatives and all their Apple computers are bought used.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
You do need a mac to run iBooks Author. You also can only read iBooks purchased ebooks kn an iOS device. You can't even read on a mac. (iBooks Author is only for making)
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
Muckraker
Connoisseur
Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
If you want to list directly with Apple then you need a Mac since the software they require you to upload with will only run on Mac (that's right--upload with. The same thing you can do on a website anyplace else). I bought a Mac for this sole purpose and went through six months of headaches early this year in my quest to post books directly with Apple. Every step is complicated, takes forever, and there is NO support from Apple on anything. I think the largest company on the planet could find a few pennies in the budget to hire someone to answer the phone.

I was set up with Amazon and BN and had books up within a day. When I had finally jumped through all Apple's hoops and submitted the book it then sat in "Quality Assurance" status--for three months.

If you are going to post with Apple I highly recommend just using one of their aggregators. (Ingram, Smashwords, Lulu in the US and Bookwire for international)

I have 22 books I was going to post there but after the first one I unplugged the Mac and never looked back. It blows my mind that a company that big could be so incompetent, unreachable, and get away with treating their customers and content providers like such crap. And yes, I am bitter.
Muckraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
karenbryant
Enthusiast
karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karenbryant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Thanks for your detailed reply. What sort of royalty cut do Lulu take if I list through them to the iBookstore?
Advert
Old 11-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
RobertLCollins
Groupie
RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I go through Smashwords, which only takes about 30%. Smashwords also gets you into other stores like Kobo and Sony.
RobertLCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertLCollins View Post
I go through Smashwords, which only takes about 30%. Smashwords also gets you into other stores like Kobo and Sony.
I agree. This is what I do. I have a mac and the software required, but it is better, IMO, to let Smash worry about it.

I go direct to Amazon, and probably will go direct to B&N with my next book, but for the rest I let Smashwords handle it.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:26 AM   #8
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckraker View Post
If you want to list directly with Apple then you need a Mac since the software they require you to upload with will only run on Mac (that's right--upload with. The same thing you can do on a website anyplace else). I bought a Mac for this sole purpose and went through six months of headaches early this year in my quest to post books directly with Apple. Every step is complicated, takes forever, and there is NO support from Apple on anything. I think the largest company on the planet could find a few pennies in the budget to hire someone to answer the phone.

I was set up with Amazon and BN and had books up within a day. When I had finally jumped through all Apple's hoops and submitted the book it then sat in "Quality Assurance" status--for three months.

If you are going to post with Apple I highly recommend just using one of their aggregators. (Ingram, Smashwords, Lulu in the US and Bookwire for international)

I have 22 books I was going to post there but after the first one I unplugged the Mac and never looked back. It blows my mind that a company that big could be so incompetent, unreachable, and get away with treating their customers and content providers like such crap. And yes, I am bitter.
Sometimes Apple sounds like a horror movie!
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
karenbryant
Enthusiast

If I'm right in assuming Apple offer 50% royalty, is that Smash 30% cut taken from that 50? What percentage would I get of the net price of the book? Sounds a big cut which ever way!

Anyone know Lulu's cut?
Old 11-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
In what now seems to be the good old days, the publisher had to edit the book, print it, advertise it, distribute it, take back unsold copies, resell, etc.

You understood them taking 70% or so of the sales. Now days with eBooks, it seems awful high for them to take more than 30%.

(The above is a simplified model given to make a point.)
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #11
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
I'm looking into listing my books on the iBookstore.
I'm going to draw a lot of flak from a couple of people for suggesting this, but Smashwords can distribute to the Apple store through its premium catalog. If you don't want to run Apple's own writer app, you can still get in that way.

Edit: Dang it, someone beat me to it.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
If I'm right in assuming Apple offer 50% royalty, is that Smash 30% cut taken from that 50? What percentage would I get of the net price of the book? Sounds a big cut which ever way!

Anyone know Lulu's cut?
Smashwords give you 60% of the list price. From the Smashwords FAQ:
Quote:
Sales originated by retailers earn authors/publishers 60% of the list price.
So, for example, if your book is priced at $5, you get $3. I don't know what Lulu pay.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I've got a Mac and went through Smashwords to get on iBooks. Saved me a chunk of change when it came to the ISBN.

L
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote