Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-22-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Thumbs up BeBook Reader €25 discount still on...

---
UPDATE 20-NOV-2008: Have just received word that I have reached 10 referrals, and my free BeBook will be sent to me shortly!
Read more below...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...30921&p=292855

---

Just wanted to mention that the €25 discount on ordering the BeBook Reader from mybebook.com is still ongoing. There have been a few threads mentioning this, so there are plenty of registered e-mail "coupon" codes to use. Basically when you check out you will be asked for a coupon code, where you enter a valid e-mail address - search the forums here for some from people who have registered, or you can use mine:

mybebook@hotmail.com

If you want to learn more about this reader, check out their page or visit my review in the "Which one should I buy?" forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30913

Cheers!

Last edited by orwell2k; 11-20-2008 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Updated information
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
This is such a great deal that I jumped on board! This is a great eBook reader and the fact that it now supports Mobipocket tips it over the edge for me with this discount.

When orwell2k's email has received 10 referrals please think about using mine, justy@telus.net, to get the €25 discount.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Just received word from the Peter, the Sales Manager at BeBook, that I have reached 10 referrals from my discount code, so they will be sending me a free BeBook!

When I initially bought the BeBook I was a little suspicious of the offer, and the device was an unknown, so I figured I would probably choose the have my payment refunded if I reached 10 sales referrals. But I have now decided to take the free BeBook, as I am very impressed with the device and the way the Support team are developing the firmware (so far). Plus I'm hopeful that OpnInkpot will soon be releasing a new version of their great open source firmware, and I will probably adopt that as my main reader software.

I will keep people informed on the delivery of my free BeBook, as well as my experiences using the device to date. My discount code will still work for the €25 discount, but perhaps people can try to use the codes from someone else on this forum who still hasn't made it to 10 referrals yet. Cheers!

Old 11-20-2008, 11:17 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post
Just received word from the Peter, the Sales Manager at BeBook, that I have reached 10 referrals from my discount code, so they will be sending me a free BeBook!
that's great news !! thanks for the update ! congratulations on your new bebook.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Cool...

I was thinking that instead of the scattered BeBook email addresses on here someone should create a wiki page with the list. People can use the one at the top of the list to buy from. Once that person gets there free BeBook or their refund they can remove there name from the top of the list.

BTW: Congrats on getting your 10!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:45 PM   #6
pox67
Connoisseur
pox67 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (stolen), Bebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I was thinking that instead of the scattered BeBook email addresses on here someone should create a wiki page with the list. People can use the one at the top of the list to buy from. Once that person gets there free BeBook or their refund they can remove there name from the top of the list.
That is an awesome idea Bob.
I just bought a Bebook from mybebook.com to replace a stolen Sony 505. I
used Justy's email for the discount which took off $30+ Australian
pox67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
orwell2k
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pox67 View Post
That is an awesome idea Bob.
I just bought a Bebook from mybebook.com to replace a stolen Sony 505. I
used Justy's email for the discount which took off $30+ Australian
Actually, I would hope the discount took off about $AUD50 with the current Euro exchange rate!

So, once you get your BeBook I would be really interested in your opinion of the comparison between the two readers (PRS-505 vs BeBook). The Sony's obviously one of the main players because they've been in the game a while - since you already had one I'm kind of curious as to why you didn't get another, especially as they are much easier to order outside of the US now, and the 505 is getting cheaper with the advent of the 700.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
pox67
Connoisseur

I am not sure why but I wasn't too worried. The current price of the Bebook in AUD is $399 which is much less than the Euro conversion.

So with the discount and shipping it came to $413.77 AUD. That is a good price and comparable to what I paid for the Sony.

For the Sony saga shee here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30445

The short of it is the Australian dollar has fallen and where I could get the PRS-505 delivered for under $400 AUD a few months ago it is now going to cost over $560. That made ordering the Bebook an no brainer.

I am keen to try out some of the features of the Bebook. The navigation on the Sony really annoyed me so I am looking forward to folders.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:03 AM   #9
orwell2k
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pox67 View Post
I am not sure why but I wasn't too worried. The current price of the Bebook in AUD is $399 which is much less than the Euro conversion.

So with the discount and shipping it came to $413.77 AUD. That is a good price and comparable to what I paid for the Sony.

For the Sony saga shee here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30445

The short of it is the Australian dollar has fallen and where I could get the PRS-505 delivered for under $400 AUD a few months ago it is now going to cost over $560. That made ordering the Bebook an no brainer.

I am keen to try out some of the features of the Bebook. The navigation on the Sony really annoyed me so I am looking forward to folders.
Actually, that price is very good, given the current EUR-AUD exchange rate it equate to about €200! That's 100 less than the Europe price - well done! I should have ordered one in Australia and sent it to my Mum's address.

You must have ordered via an Aussie web site? I know they have a reseller down there promoting the BeBook.

I can't compare it to the Sony, so as I said I'm very interested to hear your views. Obviously some stuff will be better and some not. I like the look of the Sony, but am a little concerned with the proprietary format (I know Calibre does a great job, so it's not a biggie), the data management (not folders but their own database, like an iPod) and the reported slow page turn.

The BeBook is not lightning fast, depending on format (PDF is slowest), but it seems OK to me ~1 sec to turn the page. That's a fraction slower than I'd like because it's enough to notice when you finish the last line and have to wait, but it doesn't really bother me. The folder filing and easy transfer (USB mass storage device) are great - I just have everything on a 4GB SDHC card (for €8 I couldn't say no!) and organise stuff how I like it, then I can browse it on the BeBook. Sort by name, date or format.

I tend to get most stuff in either LIT or PRC formats then convert to FB2 for reading on the device. BookDesigner is a great tool for that, but there's also others. Reading the BeBook support forums it seems that RTF is a great choice of format as it uses the CoolReader implementation, which is as good as the FBReader. And RTFs are pretty easy to generate, so you might consider that. I still use FB2 out of habit, and it's XML based. But for appearances on BeBook the RTF and FB2 files look basically the same, have the same options for font type, size, etc.

Other formats work but to varying degrees of success. The Mobi implementation still needs some work, and LIT is not great (so it's good you're comfortable with converting). PDF is OK - as good as any of the other small screen readers around - the DR1000 has obvious advantages there. I would like to see improvements in the HTML rendering too.

BeBook have been reasonable so far with firmware updates for improvements, so I hope they keep up the good work. Enjoy your BeBook when it arrives.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:43 AM   #10
pox67
Connoisseur

No I ordered from the mybebook.com website so it will take a while to ship here

The format of the Sony never nothered me and I purchased all my books in .LIT and then used Calibre. It was easy to do. Then I just dumped the books on the device with Explorer, it works as a mass storage device as well. I installed the Sony software but never used it. Page turn was fine on the Sony, it never annoyed me but I had nothing to check it against, soon I will.

I am really looking forward to standard folders on the Bebook though. I have an 8gb card that was in my music player that I will use. I should be able to fit a couple of years reading on that

As you said I'll need to find out how to make FB2 files. I had played around with Book Designer but found the UI unintuitive. RTF might be the way to go...

I'd like good .Lit support on the Bebook but I have enough options until that comes along.

I'll do a full report when it gets here
Old 11-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #11
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
I'll throw my hat (or email address) into the ring after Justy:

moethecat@gmail.com

I got my BeBook with a €25 discount (although I don't remember who's email address I used; it was back in August). I'm thoroughly enjoying the device and would recommend it to anyone.

Also, if you don't want to use Justy's or my email address for your discount, and would rather help out the folks at OpenInkpot, you can get the same €25 discount when you buy your BeBook by using Lunohod's email address (lunohod@gmx.de).

Last edited by Moe The Cat; 11-26-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:45 AM   #12
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Well, why not...

my email address / coupon code is
Code:
xxxxxxx

Last edited by AlfonsVH; 04-14-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: removed email address
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:27 PM   #13
pox67
Connoisseur

Got confirmation that my email address is working for the Bebook voucher as well:

bebookboy@gmail.com
Old 12-01-2008, 01:50 AM   #14
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I have added the still active email coupons to the Bebook Wiki here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Bebook
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:29 AM   #15
pox67
Connoisseur

Nice work, thanks Justy!

Tags
bebook, deal, discount