Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
rayst
rayst began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Ghost image of previous page

Looking at the Aura and Aura HD at a store. On the HD, I noticed I could see a faint image of the previous page or menu after I turned a page in a book. Is this normal? The firmware was from April 2014. Kinda scares me. The plain Aura didn't have this issue.
rayst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
They probably don't have the refresh set to every page. On some readers, ghosting is a problem between 2 pages, but I have refresh set to every 50 pages on my Glo and I never notice ghosting while reading. If there are any images though, that would probably ghost more than just text.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayst View Post
Looking at the Aura and Aura HD at a store. On the HD, I noticed I could see a faint image of the previous page or menu after I turned a page in a book. Is this normal? The firmware was from April 2014. Kinda scares me. The plain Aura didn't have this issue.
See eInk and ghosting. The Aura uses a eInk Pearl screen with the addition of what eInk calls Regal waveform technology or low-flash waveform which plays waveshaping games with the driver voltages to reduce ghosting. While the Aura HD has the same generation Pearl technology screen, it predates the Regal technology. The Aura H2O's Carta screen will also use Regal to avoid the need for frequent full screen refresh cycles.

Though I sometimes wonder about the claims made. For instance, eInk's site claims a Pearl screen has 70%/24% (reflectance min/white max/black), the Carta data sheet says 74%/19% which doesn't really add up the their claimed 50% contrast ratio (10 for Pearl, 15 for Carta) improvement over the previous generation Pearl screen.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Also f/w from April is quite old. There have been numerous improvements made since then.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #5
rayst
rayst began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I'm new to readers, and I thought you wouldn't want a refresh every page as this slows down page turns, etc. The video review I watched comparing the Aura and Aura HD, one of the benefits of the Aura I believe was less refreshing needed.
Can someone clarify. Thank you.
rayst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
indyglow
Connoisseur
indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.

Device: iPad Air, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
On my Aura HD I keep the page to be refreshed on every page turn so there is no ghosting and the text is rendered clean and crisp every time.
indyglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:51 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I have an Aura HD and have modified the config file so that it only refreshes every 20 pages. I haven't noticed any ghosting on it yet while reading. The Aura HD has settings for refresh between every 1 and 6 pages, but modifying the config file is simple. I don't have an Aura to compare the Aura HD to, so can't speak to the difference between the two.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote