Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Stea1th
Enthusiast
Stea1th began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
Got a Demo Kindle (k5) from work, need to remove demo software.

at work we had a kindle demo but it has the demo software running.

Anyone know if i can wipe it and load the stock software?

Thanks, I hate to throw out a perfectly good kindle.
Stea1th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stea1th View Post
at work we had a kindle demo but it has the demo software running.

Anyone know if i can wipe it and load the stock software?

Thanks, I hate to throw out a perfectly good kindle.
Did you try the "simple debricking" method? There is a sticky thread for that.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Stea1th
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Did you try the "simple debricking" method? There is a sticky thread for that.
yes I did attempt it, but when in cmd and I try to flash it keeps saying file not found.
the file in the same directory as fastboot
Old 07-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
yes I did attempt it, but when in cmd and I try to flash it keeps saying file not found.
What file not found? That should not have anything to do with it being a demo, if you were able to follow the other debricking instructions. Where did you put that missing file? What file name did you use? What command did you use? What worked? Where did it fail? Did you mistype anything in your commands? A capture of your session (or screenshots) would help here.

You did not give adequate details for others to help you solve your problem.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
the file in the same directory as fastboot
Must be user error.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Must be user error.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
Stea1th
Enthusiast

It probably is user error but I've used fastboot before with android flashing and never had a issue before with flashing images so I don't think it's the command I'm using.

I'll attempt it again in a few and posts pics of the exact message.

The files have not changed name, I downloaded them directly from the links and placed them in the folder.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
geekmaster

Quote:
It probably is user error but I've used fastboot before with android flashing and never had a issue before with flashing images so I don't think it's the command I'm using.

I'll attempt it again in a few and posts pics of the exact message.

The files have not changed name, I downloaded them directly from the links and placed them in the folder.
Did you use a kindle-specific fastboot? You cannot use the android fastboot that may be on your search path.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
Stea1th
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Did you use a kindle-specific fastboot? You cannot use the android fastboot that may be on your search path.
Yea, I downloaded all the necessary files from the sticky thread to flash the stock files. When it got to the point where I needed to flash the file mmcblk0p2.img it told me in CMD that file was not found.

I'm going to try it again in a few minutes.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #10
Stea1th
Enthusiast

Just saw I'm on the same page, I'm using the tool to get the kindle into fastboot mode.

Once it's in that mode I load up cmd and use fastboot to flash the file.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
Stea1th
Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	9r1ut3.jpg
Views:	932
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	89953
(Click to enlarge.)

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 07-30-2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Changed oversized graphic to an attachment.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
Stea1th
Enthusiast

Nevermind, I foudn the reason, I did a DIR scan of the directory and saw that .img ends with .gz Once I added that to the command it flashed. on to the next step.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
Stea1th
Enthusiast

hmmm, now i'm stuck on the tree logo. Awesome.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
Stea1th
Enthusiast

Okay, so I can boot into the regular Demo mode and i can boot into fastboot, but when I try to boot into diags it just sits at the tree logo.

Any ideas?
Old 07-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #15
geekmaster

.gz is a compressed file. Flashing that put the COMPRESSED file on your mmc, so of course it would get stuck.

You need to decompress it with a tool like 7-zip (or anything else that can extract a .gz file). The uncompressed file should end with .img, which is the file you need to flash.

That is the diags partition. The boy under the tree is probably the main partition. You need to boot diags with MfgTool, or by setting bootmode to diags in fastboot.

From diags you need to flash main with dd.

All according to the instructions.