Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-01-2008, 11:32 PM   #1
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Post Battery Question

This is my first post so hello all and thanks for the information.

I lucked out and ordered my Kindle on Nov 19 and had it here by noon Nov 20.

I'll be taking a trip to the Big Apple in about a month and plan to take a spare battery since my battery life is, like most, only about a day with heavy use. I live out of EVDO range and drove the necessary 25 miles to get in range yesterday and bought several books over 45 minutes which drained my freshly charged battery to half empty.

Does anyone know if the new FAA rules outlined here:

http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

will allow me to take a spare Kindle battery along in case the installed one poops out while on the plane or waiting in the airport. I will probably use the EVDO while waiting in the airport since it's a treat for me to not have to use my Mac to buy Amazon Kindle items.

Thanks for the advice!
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
From what I just read, it does sound like you can bring along a spare battery.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:22 AM   #3
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

After a little surfing I found this page:

http://www.dbtechno.com/industry/200...ecked-luggage/

which states that we can bring 2 spare lithium batteries on a plane. They recommend packing them in the original container and/or a plastic bag.

On the same subject I want to recommend the Igo power extender. It's relatively cheap and uses 2 replaceable alkaline AA batteries. I have used it charge my Kindle using the A00 tip, which is also the one used for Sprint cel phones. Other Igo tips can be used to power low power gadgets such as cel phones and Bluetooth headsets, in addition to the Kindle.

I'll probably buy and extra Igo charger and tips for my phone and Kindle to keep in the car for a just-in-case scenario. I'd hate to lose phone service or Kindle capability due to run down batteries.

You can peruse the Igo charger at:

http://www.amazon.com/powerXtender-P...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt

The tip for an Iphone is A61. Just about any small gadget (not a notebook) can be charged with the Xtender if you have the right tip.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:37 AM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Welcome to MobileRead, Kingston! Are you turning off the EVDO when not in use? I get several days of heavy use out of a single charge unless I use EVDO. By the way, you can buy Kindle books on Amazon, download them to your computer and transfer them via USB. You don't need the EVDO to get books.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:56 AM   #5
Kingston
Addict

Thanks for the warm welcome Alisa!

I knew before ordering my Kindle that I was out of EVDO range and would have to use USB. I ordered about 15 books Monday and didn't want to use up 20-40 Megs on my hard drive it would have consumed using USB. So yes, I've been using the USB cable since the get-go. And of course the wireless switch stays off unless I find myself in range.

Here's what the TSA has to say about the battery issue

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...batteries.shtm

and New York Times has this:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/1...n-check-again/

I agree with the first responder in the NYT article. The checkers will not understand the fine points of the rules, and will just throw out our valuable batteries. What a world!
Old 01-02-2008, 09:35 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The rules are unusually sensible. The simplest approach is to carry the batteries in your carry-on bag, and I would also follow TSA's guidelines for checked baggage (original container, taped connectors, or in a plastic bag), even though these don't apply to carry on baggage, because they are designed to reduce the risk of fire.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote