Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-28-2015, 11:26 PM   #1
squidchip
squidchip began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Converting wreaks havoc on my computer??

Hello all.

I have a large library of more than 45k books, and I need to convert most of them to MOBI to use on my kindle.

However, whenever I try to convert a large number of books, say several thousand, Calibre starts the conversions just fine but for some reason I can't load any webpages on my computer while it does the conversions.

I am using Windows 8. In chrome, I'll type an address into the URL bar and hit enter. Nothing happens. Same problem in Internet explorer.

Once I close Calibre everything returns to normal. Please help!!
squidchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:56 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Preferences | Miscellaneous | Max simultaneous conversion jobs.

Set to a value lower than hte number of cores.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Lower the priority as suggested.
Limit the number of cores (IIRC must be multiples of 2)

Just be aware that many Conversion are AN INTENSE computational and Memory tasks. (Games are Intense Graphics tasks)

Be sure your Computer cooling is in A1 shape. Run smaller batches to give it a cool-down break between batches.

The only advantage of a Bulk convert is fa aster transfer to your K.
Calibre will convert on the fly (It does take the same time as the demand conversion) any book not available in the AZW3 (or Mobi) format
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Silly
you cannot fit 45000 books onto a kindle anywsyso quit with wanting to convert them all at once. Convert the one(s) you want to read only when you want to read them.
Or run for 8 hours while you sleep, that is time enough for a few thou.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote