Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #256
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I see you labelled it as "KindleTouch". The K5 DRAM init works for the K4 too.
Actually, the label is purely cosmetical - it's displayed on the command line, that's all. And the "Writable regions" definitions (cf. eureka's announcement post) aren't used either. The program's logic isn't influenced by either of these settings - look at the source code. I just kept one of the "regions" settings because I'm lazy - didn't want to break the parsing logic in case I removed it.

... development version
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #257
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You are getting ahead of the work described in this thread.
ixtab described data written to DRAM before loading u-boot as not being able to be found at the same address as after loading u-boot.

So yes, looking at the TLB entries would give us some information with which to replace the guesses with.

And ixtab is correct, we don't need U-boot to do the DRAM initialization - sending i.ROM a CSF list of address, data, data size will get all of that I/O done before it executes the downloaded application.

For instance, the "RAM kernel" (that's en_Freescale for client command processor). It that case the off-chip resources are started by the files sent prior to downloading the "RAM kernel" itself.

And we got into this long thread because this suggested alternative code passes "null" for the DCD and then blindly uses some binary objects borrowed from Freescale utiliites.
OK, I could be wrong with MMU. It's most possibly enabled at system boot (according to chapter 6.4.1 and following NOTE and also chapter 6.4.5; I'm referring to i.MX50 Reference Manual). And it must be disabled by U-Boot on executing bootm command. So this sequence theoretically (but not necessary) could introduce some problems (but only if MMU is really enabled on boot, because such a behaviour could be disabled by OEM is specific fuse is blown).

But CSF? RAM kernel? CSF is relevant only to secure boot of cryptographically signed code. HAB (i.e. secure booting) is disabled on Kindle Touch. And "RAM kernel" is a term of ATK, which isn't supporting i.MX50.

...Oh, MMU is disabled in early stage of U-Boot executing in cpu/arm_cortexa8/start.S after cpu_init_crit: label. And it's not enabled back, because CONFIG_ARCH_MMU isn't defined in any of yoshi board config.

@ixtab, BTW, MMU is disabled in U-Boot before executing of DRAM initialization code. Also some relocating code is present in cpu/arm_cortexa8/start.S after relocate: label. Also there is relevant define right before label.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #258
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
And the "Writable regions" definitions (cf. eureka's announcement post) aren't used either. The program's logic isn't influenced by either of these settings - look at the source code.
Oh, I was blind, how else I didn't notice it?! Good catch! Though, start value of first writable region is used in code.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #259
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Oh, I was blind, how else I didn't notice it?! Good catch! Though, start value of first writable region is used in code.
Yes, it is - but only in an obscure condition - I didn't bother to thoroughly check whether it really applies to our code, but from the context I think that it is rather improbable. Then again, some 10 bytes more or less in a text file don't do any harm, so I just left the "definition" in (but I think it will never actually be used)
Old 10-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #260
savemykindle
savemykindle began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT

I get the error above when trying to run mfgtool under win7 64bit.

Any ideas?
savemykindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #261
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemykindle View Post

I get the error above when trying to run mfgtool under win7 64bit.

Any ideas?
Yes: use imx_usb_loader on Linux. It works.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #262
michel24
michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle k4nt
Hi there,

I would need some little help for my bricked k4nt.

I'm following the "Guide to debricking Kindle Touch V4.pdf" and just at the beginning I have the same problem as Deathknight in this thread:
I plug it and restart it with magic touch and power button stuff, but it doesn't appear as an HID in device manger. In MfgTool it is actually recognized as a "Kindle Internal Storage USB Device" and not as an "HID-Compliant Device". So MfgTool does nothing and I can't go further.
(If I press start in MfgTool, "Monitoring..." -> "MX50 Kindle", and "Kindle Internal Storage USB Device" -> "Unrecognized device")

I tried on 2 xp machines, one under osx + virtual box, and one which is a regular pc.

I followed the answer of cscat and geekmaster about reading the threads, but can't found answers. I also followed geekmaster's link to download hid driver, but found nothing too.

It's either a very simple problem and I'm totally missing something, or I'm very stupid, or it's a particular problem.
Whatever from the 3, I'm now stuck...

thanks!
michel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #263
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by michel24 View Post
Hi there,

I would need some little help for my bricked k4nt.

I'm following the "Guide to debricking Kindle Touch V4.pdf" and just at the beginning I have the same problem as Deathknight in this thread:
I plug it and restart it with magic touch and power button stuff, but it doesn't appear as an HID in device manger. In MfgTool it is actually recognized as a "Kindle Internal Storage USB Device" and not as an "HID-Compliant Device". So MfgTool does nothing and I can't go further.
(If I press start in MfgTool, "Monitoring..." -> "MX50 Kindle", and "Kindle Internal Storage USB Device" -> "Unrecognized device")

I tried on 2 xp machines, one under osx + virtual box, and one which is a regular pc.

I followed the answer of cscat and geekmaster about reading the threads, but can't found answers. I also followed geekmaster's link to download hid driver, but found nothing too.

It's either a very simple problem and I'm totally missing something, or I'm very stupid, or it's a particular problem.
Whatever from the 3, I'm now stuck...

thanks!
Charge the kindle on a wall charger for 20 hours immediately before debricking. A bricked kindle will drain the battery quickly.

There are conflicting instructions posted in this forum about entering USB Downloader mode, but the following instructions ALWAYS work for me (and others):

Plug in the USB cable to the host PC, so that the bricked kindle LED lights. Hold the power button until the LED goes off. While holding the power button, also press the magic key (K3=Vol-, K4=5-way Down, K5=Home), then release the power button, then release the magic key. After this procedure, your kindle MUST be in USB Downloader mode unless it has a hardware problem.

EDIT: What does "Whatever from the 3" mean?

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-28-2012 at 09:19 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #264
michel24
michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hello, and thanks a lot

Quote:
Charge the kindle on a wall charger for 20 hours immediately before debricking. A bricked kindle will drain the battery quickly.
Really? You mean I should charge it 20 hours before doing this manipulation?
Or is it an independent information?

Quote:
There are conflicting instructions posted in this forum about entering USB Downloader mode, but the following instructions ALWAYS work for me (and others):
Yes, there really are A LOT of information here

Quote:
Plug in the USB cable to the host PC, so that the bricked kindle LED lights. Hold the power button until the LED goes off. While holding the power button, also press the magic key (K3=Vol-, K4=5-way Down, K5=Home), then release the power button, then release the magic key. After this procedure, your kindle MUST be in USB Downloader mode unless it has a hardware problem.
I'm so concentrated while reading these instructions that it hurts my eyes!!
I think I'm doing exactly that, but still no HID device...

A hardware problem would be strange, I just jailbreaked a few times and so on.

Quote:

EDIT: What does "Whatever from the 3" mean?
Was just a joke, but my english is not so good. I meant: the fact that I don't find a solution can have any of this 3 explanations, but anyway, it doesn't change the fact that I'm stuck!
Old 10-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #265
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hello, and thanks a lot

Really? You mean I should charge it 20 hours before doing this manipulation?
Or is it an independent information?
It is not "an independent information". It has been posted many times by multiple people. Here is one from another source:
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
... Recharge from a wall charger.
Note: The battery management chip defaults to a 20 hour curve, so re-charge for at least 24 hours or more.
Yes, I do mean that you should charge on a wall charger for 20 hours immediately before debricking. As you can see, some people say 24 hours and others say 12 hours, but I recommend at least 20 hours for a bricked kindle.

EDIT: "Really?" What, like you don't believe that I am serious or something? In fact, we are SO SERIOUS about recharging, that there have been discussions between experienced devs here about how large the bold capitalized red "CHARGE YOUR KINDLE!" warning should be at the top of all the threads and documents about debricking. We grow weary of telling people to charge their kindles on a wall charger for 20 hours before debricking.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-28-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #266
michel24

Ok, sorry.

I hope I will just say "thank you" in 24 hours then!
Old 10-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #267
michel24

Quote:
EDIT: "Really?" What, like you don't believe that I am serious or something?
Oh, I'm sorry if it was not polite...
In my language, "really?" would mean more something like "what a surprise!" or "I'd never thought about it".
I really appreciate a lot the work and help here.

I'll let know what happens with my brick
Old 10-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #268
geekmaster

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry if it was not polite...
In my language, "really?" would mean more something like "what a surprise!" or "I'd never thought about it".
I really appreciate a lot the work and help here.

I'll let know what happens with my brick
Not so much impolite, as it is an expression of disbelief. For example: "Really? Are you sure? I would have thought otherwise."

No offense taken, and good luck with your debricking procedure after you get a full charge on the battery.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-28-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #269
geekmaster

Accidental duplicate post (due to browser cache issues) deleted...

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-28-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #270
michel24

Hello,

well, no luck for me... Even after 24 charging.
I'm doing the procedure with magic touch, and still no 2nd "Human interface device" appearing in the device manager.

Maybe it's something stupid I'm omitting, but I think I'm doing all as it should...

Will try again tonight if I have time, after 48h charging.

Thanks anyway!

Tags
debricking, kindle mx50 select boot