Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 02:03 AM   #46
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscudder View Post
I will be reviewing it for the digital magazine I work for in a couple weeks..., so the more user opinions I can get, the better. So - everyone - please explore and complain verbally. I need to finish my Aluratek review for them first - it is now overdue.

Rebecca
Haha, talking about asking others to do your homework for you
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:13 AM   #47
jdr37
jdr37 began at the beginning.

Device: Augen's "The Book"
Explanation of question about "user changeable battery": Wiki has a comparison chart of ereaders that includes , without any explanation, a yes or no "Battery user changeable". Perhaps 50% are yes, 50% no, this unit is not yet listed. If the battery is accessable and is not hard-wired in then it should be considered "user changeable", but I have no way of knowing what the Wiki authors consider to be "user changeable". Therefore, I thought it reasonable to ask an owner, since I have not been able to personally view a unit, which category the unit fell in. Would anyone care to provide a simple answer?
jdr37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 08:48 AM   #48
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
A few more observations:

The Augen is okay as an ebook reader. It displays pdf files pretty well, although the menu options for pdfs are quite limited. Non-Adobe epubs work well, as do prc files, with lots of customizaton (fonts, margins, etc.) possible. Those are my primary formats, so I haven't checked any txt, rtf, html, or other supported files. Unfortunately, Adobe drm'ed epubs get treated as though they are pdfs -- slaved to the embedded page numbers that don't always fall at the end of a page. This results in missing chunks of text. I haven't tried stripping the drm and I don't know if that would make any difference without actually manipulating the file further.

The EBA701 is not going to be your primary audio or video player. I downloaded a couple of .mp4 podcast files that featured people speaking. Although the video portion was smooth enough (without obvious jerkiness or dropped frames), the audio track quickly got ahead of the video, and the longer the clip, the worse it got. Video and audio functions have no menu options. They're "on" or they're "off". I don't know if it's the same for .avi files. Has anyone tried? For very short clips where audio synchronization doesn't matter, I suppose it's okay.

One other nitpick is that there is no menu option to delete files on the unit. It appears that it has to be synced to a computer to delete files.

I think many of the problems with the EBA701 could be addressed by upgrading the firmware (it's a linux OS, after all), but so far, the Augen has absolutely no support information for "The Book" on its website. I think we're all beta-testers in this instance.

Last edited by kilohertz53; 07-19-2010 at 01:41 PM.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #49
Highroller
Zealot
Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Jetbook Lite, Slick Er-701
The main things I see so far that could be improved are
1. Global setting on style ie margins and justifications and line spacings.
2. I see no sign of a way to make it turn itself off after 5 minutes of inactivity.
3. It would be nice to be able to lock the orientation when you wanted to.
4. Adding cbr as a file format would be a plus.
5. And my REAL wish is that I could see a way to edit an ebook using that small keyboard as I read it ie fix ocr errors. Only use for keyboard I have found is surfing and using the tiny notebook program to take notes. If I missed the obvious someone PLEASE clue me in.

One future concern is I see no way to do most things if the joystick wears out. I hope it is a very long life part...

But all in all I find it well worth the $89 I gave K-mart for it. I think its music and video options are weak and its wifi is pretty slow but I could care less about them.

Last edited by Highroller; 07-19-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #50
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
Smile

A quick final update on the Augen's epub handling -- any epub, with or without drm will be thoroughly messed up if transferred to "The Book" via Adobe Digital Editions. As a test, I used an epub (non-drm) downloaded from the MobileRead library. When transferred by drag-and-drop to the "My Books" folder, it behaved like a proper epub; when copied to the "Digital Editions" folder through the ADE application, it acts like a badly made pdf. Just FYI.

Last edited by kilohertz53; 07-19-2010 at 01:44 PM.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #51
rscudder
gadget freak
rscudder began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre touch, Augen 'The Book'
PDFs in TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilohertz53 View Post
A few more observations:

The Augen is okay as an ebook reader. It displays pdf files pretty well, although the menu options for pdfs are quite limited. Non-Adobe epubs work well, as do prc files, with lots of customization (fonts, margins, etc.) possible. Those are my primary formats, so I haven't checked any txt, rtf, html, or other supported files. Unfortunately, Adobe drm'ed epubs get treated as though they are pdfs -- slaved to the embedded page numbers that don't always fall at the end of a page. This results in missing chunks of text. I haven't tried stripping the drm and I don't know if that would make any difference without actually manipulating the file further.

snip

I think many of the problems with the EBA701 could be addressed by upgrading the firmware (it's a linux OS, after all), but so far, the Augen has absolutely no support information for "The Book" on its website. I think we're all beta-testers in this instance.
I think your problem with PDF through Adobe DRM is an artifact somehow between TB and Adobe. I have looked at several commercial PDF eBooks, and since I zoom them, the text does not fit on a single page. I have had no loss of continuity on the pages turning them either with buttons or the joystick. Actually, they show the last line from the previously shown page at the very top of the new page, consistently. Makes diagrams and pictures seem slightly odd, though.

My beef with the PDF arrangement is twofold- the zoom has 2 levels- so you either view all of a page upright in a very small format, or you zoom it - it which point it goes to portrait mode - and doesn't seem to be able to get out of it. And portrait mode turned at 90 degrees from the original, not to the side with next previous buttons- so page turning if you want to look at an earlier point is only easily done with the joystick. But, since there are only two zoom levels, even in the portrait style the text is almost exactly the same size it would be in a printed book. If it is going to go to forced portrait mode, it seems to me it would have more sense to have the next /previous page buttons on the bottom as you view the reader

I think there are some major issues that need to be addressed in a firmware update- I agree with you that we are being used as beta testers.

I have looked at text and rtf, and they seem to look good and work with the font and size options available.

Rebecca
rscudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #52
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
I think this needs a hardware redesign before it is for me. I'd be willing to accept the software issues, because I expect that can be updated in the future. However, I want a less bulky device, with the controls more intuitively placed, and most importantly either a touch-screen or a back-lit keyboard.
With that as a guideline, you might want to check out the Pandigital Novel (if you haven't already); touchscreen, less bulky, B&N reader app + you can install Kindle Reader on it (there's an FBReader for Android that theoretically should work).
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...l-novel-video/
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #53
rscudder
gadget freak
rscudder began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre touch, Augen 'The Book'
Lightbulb user reactions :) - getting quoted information

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingenzyme View Post
Haha, talking about asking others to do your homework for you
Actually, I write reviews fairly regularly, and I find it improves the validity of them greatly to investigate user reactions to the product.

I am going to use my TB exclusively for about 10-12 days, and take notes (gonna miss the Aluratek for some things, I already know), and then write the review in about two weeks.

In this case, you are quite right- I am soliciting the comments and reactions from a group of people I know are actively investigating the book, which makes my life much easier, since I am not reading through multiple forum posts, NewEgg reader reviews, Amazon reviews, etc.

However- if I actually quote anyone for more than a sentence (which you will be credited for under the user name showing) I will send a personal message to the member asking permission to use the exact quote. Otherwise, I will be writing something like this in the User reaction section of the review; "User comments generally agree that Augen could have done more beta testing on The Book before releasing it." or "Several users have reported problems viewing Adobe Digital editions on Augen's The Book. These problems range from not opening to actual gaps in text, as well as non PDF books exhibiting PDF like behavior, which limits options for the reader"

However, I did also just join the Augen devices forum - brand new- I am member 37 and have made comments and the same request there. They actually seem to have a Augen rep administering the forum, although from reading posts I am not of the opinion he is all-knowing.

For those interested in that forum, here is the URL: http://augen.lefora.com

Please send me a private message if you do not want to be quoted in any form, or don't mind being quoted but do not want to be identified in any manner. I am not going to be saying all quotes are from mobileread.com forums, or anything as identifying as that.

For those interested, you can actually check other reviews and articles I have written through accessing the links at the bottom of my profile at brighthub.com: http://www.brighthub.com/members/rebeccascudder.aspx Page through to see more links to more articles- I think they just show the last three things I published on the bottom of the first page, then there are the pages which just show all articles I write. (Not to blow my horn, but to show this is a real request.)

You are welcome to be awed by the variety of things I write about, but do not feel obligated

Rebecca
rscudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #54
gintzj
Connoisseur
gintzj began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wifi model
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingenzyme View Post
Here is about a 10 minute vid review of this device.

Thank you I enjoyed your little show very much

I have to wait for 8/7 Heartland shipment

You have made me very excited to get my own.

Depending who is your internet server, they will reset a password for you

Keep smiling

Jim

gintzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #55
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
It seems like the price of these devices are setting new low records every month. That's got to put pressure on the big name players in the market. If these guys can do it for $100, why can't Kindle or Sony?
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #56
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
That battery life sounds like a deal killer for almost everyone, not just MR members. I imagine they will have to fix that pronto if they don't want most of their units to be returned.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #57
Highroller
Zealot
Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Jetbook Lite, Slick Er-701
Well while I would rather get more than 8 hours, I can live with 8. Its not like I routinely read more than 8 hrs at a time away from electrical outlets...Be hard pressed to get much more than 8 hrs and still have a color lcd most likely well and keep it lightweight. Some already are complaining about the weight. Its ok. Lighter than my ebookwise. Its the closest I have seen to an updated ebookwise actually. Its not perfect but darn good for the price as I see it. Sure its not an ipad killer but I didn't WANT an ipad so I find it quite good.
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #58
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
With that as a guideline, you might want to check out the Pandigital Novel (if you haven't already); touchscreen, less bulky, B&N reader app + you can install Kindle Reader on it (there's an FBReader for Android that theoretically should work).
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...l-novel-video/
It seemed like a good idea until it was recalled for not working properly. I'll see how the new release goes. The upcoming Android tablets might work as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
That battery life sounds like a deal killer for almost everyone, not just MR members. I imagine they will have to fix that pronto if they don't want most of their units to be returned.
The battery life sucks, but wasn't a problem for me. I wanted this to mainly read at night, in bed, so could easily plug it in when I was done. If I was going somewhere for a month with limited electricity I would leave this home and take my PB360.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #59
graphicsgirl
Connoisseur
graphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook wifi, Ebookwise 1150, Dell Axim x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highroller View Post
Its ok. Lighter than my ebookwise. Its the closest I have seen to an updated ebookwise actually.
Interesting. I also loved the ebookwise (except for the dot-matrix screen) so I may have to pick this up for night time reading.
graphicsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #60
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
It seemed like a good idea until it was recalled for not working properly. I'll see how the new release goes. The upcoming Android tablets might work as well.

-Marcy
1- The video is of the post-recall, "fixed" device. Word is the second version with improved hardware is due in august. So waiting seems a good idea.

2- There's plenty of android tablets out there right now. Some even have Android 2.0 like the Pandigital. But odds are the name brand ones (LG for sure) will be the ones to look into if Android 2.2 ever ships. For one thing, they may actually play video properly.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
'the book'