Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-03-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
help needed on how to transfer files from reader to Calibre Library

really really dumb question. I have a Sony 505 with about 8 books (only had the reader a week) I have downloaded with the Sony Library on my computer with Vista. While trying to put them in categories it has made duplicates and I saw that someone recommend Calibre as a better library. Given that my main computer is a Mac this suits my needs much better but I will have to still download via the Vista computer for purchases through Sony as Sony does not support mac.

So, I have downloaded it, see that my (Calibre) library is blank but my books show on the reader. So how do I get the books from the reader to the library as it wont (or I cant see) how to do it? I cant find the files via the hardware transfer to use them as an import. Then, how do I add a category as I again cant see any buttons to do that. Given that so many on you have it up and going and love it, it has to be something really simple I am missing. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Natalie
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
To add books to the calibre library, use the "Add books" function--the left-most icon in the top panel. You'll have to know which directory the Sony books were downloaded to in your computer. To add categories or "collections," double-click on the calibre "Tags" field and type in the name of the collection that you want.

Edited to add: Of course, if the books are from the Sony Connect store and are secure (LRX format), I don't think there's much you can do with them in calibre.

Last edited by Seabound; 12-03-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2008, 05:21 AM   #3
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
Thanks for that. The books are from the Sony store through the sony library and are also on a different computer ( the windows one). I was hoping there was a way to copy them from the reader to Calibre on the Mac but it is not looking promising. Maybe I may have to investigate staying with the Sony Library and figuring out the duplicate issue. Thanks for the post.

Natalie
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just connect your device, start calibre, click on the device icon, select all books and click save to disk. THat will put all the files on your device onto your hard disk. You can then add them to the calibre library.

However, if they are DRMed files, you wont be able to edit their metadata or make any other changes to them in calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote