Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #256
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugjd View Post
Yeah, I guess I'd be interested in hearing how those with 7-10 inch tablets use their GPS? Are you hooking those things up to the dash somehow? I have a hiking GPS that is small and rugged for outdoors use, and then I can use it on the dash too, since it's only 3 and half inches. And then my phone when navigating a strange city. But none of those situations seem ideal for a larger tablet.
I have a dashmount for my iPad 3. I use it for navigation, and also for Pandora and Google music while traveling.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #257
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Don't even bottom market cars come with GPS already installed?
No, but even bottom market smartphones do. But apple has to leave something out so they can milk you again in 6 months, right?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #258
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycurlylocks View Post
I have noticed my eyes tire more quickly on my retina iPad than they did on my original iPad, so I'm welcoming the lower resolution of the iPad Mini. I suspect I'll be able to read longer at a time.
I have declined to upgrade to the iPad 3 because:

1. I find the Retina screen a bit disorienting. I've tried reading and web surfing on my husband's and it gives me a vague feeling of nausea/dizziness. I suspect my slight astigmatism has something to do with it.
2. it is heavier than iPad 2, which I find uncomfortable for long stretches in bed (I have child size hands).

So I'm actually relieved the iPad mini didn't have Retina. I plan to check it out once it is in stores (no I don't wait in line for Apple products - they come to me). If I can live with the smaller screen size in exchange for 10.68 oz and purse-friendly, I will hunt eBay for one - there are always regretful buyers.

If the device works for me and I can live with the price to get the features I need, I buy it and try it. If it doesn't work, I sell it, as you can tell from my device history below.

My policy with Apple is to buy the last generation when the new generation is announced, and someone in the family will use it until it dies. We have 2 Macs from 2006 still in use, and are using the original iPhones with iOS 3 on T-Mobile. iPad 1 is still kicking on iOS 4.

Many people would say that means I'm an Apple fangirl. Whatever. My family benefits from Apple's software/device integration. If that changes, I'll be moving to whomever has the better option.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #259
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
No, but even bottom market smartphones do. But apple has to leave something out so they can milk you again in 6 months, right?
No, that's what they do with features they don't offer at all, like NFC. With GPS they milk you NOW by making that model so much more expensive. It's almost as bad as charging $100 for 16GB (or about $5 worth) of memory.

I don't think the Mini is all that bad...but if you want 32GB with GPS you're spending $559...over twice as much as a Nexus with those features plus a better screen and processor. Granted, you get cellular service as well with the Mini at that price, but there will be a Nexus offering that next week and I can't imagine it coming close to approaching Apple's prices.

Last edited by pl001; 10-26-2012 at 04:19 PM.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #260
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
...bottom market smartphones do...
I wouldn't know.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #261
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wouldn't know.
So in other words you don't bother checking what else is available, you just buy whatever Apple tells you to. Way to live up to the stereotype.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #262
bugjd
bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, paperwhite, iPhone 4s, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosvit View Post
I have a dashmount for my iPad 3. I use it for navigation, and also for Pandora and Google music while traveling.
Wild. Does it sit on top of your dash, or is it in the dash, like a radio faceplate would be.

ipad on the dash, that's pretty cool. Who knew?
bugjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #263
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Small minds, the kind that sees in stereotypes, rarely can.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #264
pl001
Evangelist

Quote:
Small minds, the kind that sees in stereotypes, rarely can.
Nice job making it about me instead of what you don't know about products that compete with Apple. You're still batting 1.000.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #265
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugjd View Post
Yeah, I guess I'd be interested in hearing how those with 7-10 inch tablets use their GPS? Are you hooking those things up to the dash somehow? I have a hiking GPS that is small and rugged for outdoors use, and then I can use it on the dash too, since it's only 3 and half inches. And then my phone when navigating a strange city. But none of those situations seem ideal for a larger tablet.
The Nexus 7 is one of the cheapest ways to get turn-by-turn navigation in a quality tablet/phone without having to pay for a data plan.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #266
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Nice job making it about me instead of what you don't know about products that compete with Apple. You're still batting 1.000.
Wait a minute -- you just made it about david_e by telling him he was "living up to the stereotype." You even said, "sorry -- couldn't resist" because you knew you were being a rectal hook:

Quote:
So in other words you don't bother checking what else is available, you just buy whatever Apple tells you to. Way to live up to the stereotype.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
In your quaint surfer parlance, "way to be" a shallow hypocrite. This is about character because you're targeting character (and doing an unimaginative job of it even for a troll -- perhaps you tell yourself that being unimaginative is all just part of the schtick without ever confronting your inherent lack of ideas).

And yes, we're making it about you because you're targeting people out of bitterness. We're making it about you because you're making it about them.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #267
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Really. So you think every product a company makes is to be a revolution from the product before?

Can you name such a company? A company that never refined a product but simply put out revolutionary change after revolutionary change?

Is every Ferrari model, every year, a complete break with the past?

Did folks greet Ford's Model A with "that's still a car like the model T, you're not innovating anymore".

You're obviously not getting the point, but I also wasn't very precise, apologies for that...
What I meant is that when a company that screams "innovation" at the top of their lungs (which Apple still does and only "improves" thickness and under specs compared to their competition) and ceases to innovate or even keep their pace with competition, people will eventually notice and go with products that seem more capable "specimen" in their line...
And well, as for your examples, Ferrari is a niche product (wonder if Apple can successfully claim such a niche for themselves in five years tops, because essentially, we're not talking luxury goods here but everyday mass market electronics) and Ford, well, they have seen better days indeed (and no, people didn't say that at the time but only way later, upgrade cycles in electronics are much faster, too), so my point remains mostly valid...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #268
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
Don't even bottom market cars come with GPS already installed?

And if someone is so incompetent that they're worried about getting lost on a weekend stroll through the city, maybe they should just stay home.

The remark about looking ridiculous while taking pictures with a tablet has been made before, but that might be trumped by the wandering and confused looks of someone staring haplessly at a tablet, any tablet, as they try to find the nearest fill-in-the-blank.
Well my Apple apologist friend there is a old saying - ignorance is bliss.

I can only assume you have never used any GPS and related Apps or if you have then your deliberately down playing there usefulness just to cover Apple's 2011 technological marvel.
After all its just a ipad 2 with a smaller screen and a smaller case with slightly updated OS

GPS is not just used for navigation but for a host of other purposes with the rite App installed like helping you to buy a new house ,finding a new restaurant ,club,bar take away.
Finding the nearest bus station to you and the routes they use.

Helping you keep track while exercising -able to track distances,calories burnt and other things while -cycling ,walking ,running and other sports.

I cant list all the possible uses as it would take far far too long.

Google map is one of the most used GPS based mapping systems in the World and can very useful for any one.

These are just some of the things you can do with GPS and the rite App on a nexus 7.
When i need to find a store i have never been to and don't know the area all i have do is input the address into google maps or any of my other GPS Navigation Apps and it will give me step by step directions to my destination and even update my on traffic congestion.

I also find GPS very useful as i travel overseas regularly and many of the countries i stay the majority of the people don't speak English so getting directing is tough.I can only assume you never had holidays or business trips overseas or travel any where new ?

Of course none of these things will be of any interest to a couch potato type that never leaves there own village/town or state let alone there own country
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-26 21.42.14.png
Views:	104
Size:	479.1 KB
ID:	94971   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-26 21.29.46.png
Views:	109
Size:	427.4 KB
ID:	94972   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-26 23.20.57.png
Views:	96
Size:	508.2 KB
ID:	94973   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	94976   Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed6565.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	94977   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-26 23.52.51.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	94979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-07-20-11-34-32.png
Views:	113
Size:	922.1 KB
ID:	94980  

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-26-2012 at 08:14 PM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #269
david_e
Seriously?

Quote:
Still batting 1.000, yes. I have an amazing, blessed life. I know exactly who I am. I am able to have everything I need and everything I could want.

I don't judge anyone on their preference in gadgets. I don't know their needs, their motivations, or their means. I'm fairly certain I have never said anything disparaging about any brand as I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings accidentally, especially over something so trivial as a phone, reader, or tablet.

I don't feel so obligated when presented with such a rich vein of ignorance as you've given me by making the presumption you understand or know me.

Once in a very, very great while, when its late and the cognac has kicked in, or the meds have kicked off, I might return the favor.

But it's highly doubtful.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #270
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
While I won't be purchasing the iPad mini, at least in this iteration, (I already have an iPad 2, and would rather upgrade to a retina screen for ease of reading PDFs, if I do upgrade this year), I do like the form factor of the mini. I have long been hoping that I would be able to purchase an eink reader in this size (8 inches) with a Pearl screen, but never came across one. It seems like a very nice size for reading.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote