Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-02-2011, 04:17 AM   #166
Bazhip
Bazhip began at the beginning.

Device: Bazhip@gmail.com
Awesome work you guys! Keep it up! Quick question though, when you do get it jailbroken, would there be any possibility of getting android on the thing? I know it's shooting high, but I figured it might be possible. Thanks!
Bazhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:45 AM   #167
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Well, anything is possible. You could even port android to the Kindle keyboard, but the question is why? The touchscreen will not be fast enough to be usable.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #168
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Well, anything is possible. You could even port android to the Kindle keyboard, but the question is why? The touchscreen will not be fast enough to be usable.
Why is that? The touchscreen is usable on the nook str (not that I am advocating such a thing, as I dont think the results would be worth the effort)
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #169
hondamarlboro
Enthusiast
hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle2, Kindle3, Kindle4, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
boot log on Kindle Touch

http://pastie.org/pastes/2949994/text

Serial port pin assignment: GND, RxD, TxD in order from the left to the right

I have no connector with serial port and soldering skill so managed to hold the three lead wire into 3 pins with one hand. I know this is NOT good idea

Last edited by hondamarlboro; 12-02-2011 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Additional explanation
hondamarlboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #170
ramirami
ramirami can extract oil from cheeseramirami can extract oil from cheeseramirami can extract oil from cheeseramirami can extract oil from cheeseramirami can extract oil from cheeseramirami can extract oil from cheeseramirami can extract oil from cheeseramirami can extract oil from cheeseramirami can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondamarlboro View Post
Can you explain how did you connect it?
ramirami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 10:24 AM   #171
varnie
Connoisseur
varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

hello everybody.
this is my the very first message on the board.

and here is what I found just googling: http://daisukeblog.com/?p=1711

I guess it is Japan, so I tried to use automatic webpage translator, and here's what I've come up with:
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate

hope that helps.

Last edited by varnie; 12-02-2011 at 10:30 AM.
varnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #172
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnie View Post
... and here's what I've come up with:
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate
Great find!

Google translates that page MUCH faster than Babelfish, and the translation quality is better:
http://translate.google.com/translat...om/%3Fp%3D1711

It says that you get root access from the serial port, without waiting for a jailbreak.

Of course, we still need a jailbreak for untethered access to custom applications...

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-02-2011 at 10:44 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #173
ramirami
ramirami can extract oil from cheeseramirami can extract oil from cheeseramirami can extract oil from cheeseramirami can extract oil from cheeseramirami can extract oil from cheeseramirami can extract oil from cheeseramirami can extract oil from cheeseramirami can extract oil from cheeseramirami can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Great find!

Google translates that page MUCH faster than Babelfish, and the translation quality is better:
http://translate.google.com/translat...om/%3Fp%3D1711

It says that you get root access from the serial port, without waiting for a jailbreak.

Of course, we still need a jailbreak for untethered access to custom applications...
Can you join the room on irc?
ramirami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #174
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cracking Open: Amazon Kindle Touch (2011)
http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/c...h-2011/6330940

More:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/itd...ch-screen/3086

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-02-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #175
Bazhip
Bazhip began at the beginning.

Device: Bazhip@gmail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Basically because the Kindle interface kind of annoys me sometimes. That way I could use it to change orientation, use alternate reading software (to arrange my books better) and to read pdfs better, plus the option of comic books. I wouldn't want it to play games or watch movies, just for more reading options.

Last edited by Bazhip; 12-02-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Bazhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #176
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great job! I guess I guessed right. I'm going to try to get a cable because I want to do more long term stuff with the serial port.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #177
geekmaster

It looks like hondamarlboro did the serial port thing on the japanese website, and is active in this thread (see above)...
Old 12-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #178
geekmaster

@hondamarlboro. We need an xmodem dump from the serial port (PM to yifanlu).
Old 12-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #179
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

So, thanks to reddit, I'm pretty sure the connectors for the port is this: http://www.molex.com/molex/products/...ard_connectors

Now, just buying a few of these connectors and I'm going to build myself a serial cable.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #180
geekmaster

It looks like ramirami just got his serial port working (hand held like hondamarlboro) and is soldering to his connector pins now...