Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Sonystyle Canada reduced price of PRS-300 from $279 to $259

I'm hoping they do the same with the 600, which is the one I want to get. But I think they really want to push the entry level model.

Last edited by frozennorth; 08-20-2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: changed title to avoid confusion
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

great news! I wont buy one anyhow but it is still great news!
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
For a minute there I was a bit confused... then realized this was for our Canadian friends. Still US$199.99 in the USA.
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
For a minute there I was a bit confused... then realized this was for our Canadian friends. Still US$199.99 in the USA.
The same here...
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Sorry about all the confusion. Maybe one of the moderators can change the thread to "Sonystyle Canada" instead of sonystyle.ca.

Did I scare you all.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Wow, a price cut before the product is even released? That's great!

I've got my eye on the PRS600 though. I plan to get one eventually, but not for the current price of $399.

Last edited by Ziguezon; 08-20-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Ziguezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziguezon View Post
I've got my eye on the PRS600 though. I plan to get one eventually, but not for the current price of $399.
Same here, $399 is way overpriced, especially when the CAD$ is at about US$0.91. I hope for a price drop, or I'll have to take a trip south of the border.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:36 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
New models spotted in Calgary.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
Shipping Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
I'm hoping they do the same with the 600, which is the one I want to get. But I think they really want to push the entry level model.
I may be mistaken, but the Canadian Sony site seems to be offering the new models for sale now. The "pre-order" option is gone, and you seem to be able to purchase now. I added a blue 300 to my cart, but didn't complete the purchase (I think I will wait and buy from Future Shop as returns, if necessary, are easier).
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #10
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The PRS505 has also been reduced on the Canadian Sony style site. It's now $299. I think it was $339 when I checked a few days ago.

Keep those price cuts coming!
Old 08-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #11
frozennorth
Evangelist

Quote:
The PRS505 has also been reduced on the Canadian Sony style site. It's now $299. I think it was $339 when I checked a few days ago.

Keep those price cuts coming!
This info is about Sonystyle Canada:

505 used to be 349. They also reduced the 700 from 449$ to 399 but sell instore only now. Looks like all the 600 models are out of stock but the 300's are available.

I'm waiting to see them up close and personal. I want to see the screen on the 600 before making my decision.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis

Wasn't the 505 available at sonystyle.ca (Canadian site) for $279 at one point? Maybe a year ago? Why oh why didn't I get one then?

Answer: I had heard reports of people getting the 505 for $199 from several places (Dell.ca comes to mind), so I thought that prices were coming down in general. Instead, it shot up to $349, where it remained for the longest time! Argh!

If anyone spots any good deals on new 505's in Canada, please let me know!
Old 08-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #13
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
If anyone spots any good deals on new 505's in Canada, please let me know!
Best price I could find: Staples $299.99 (Plus GST/PST, free delivery, red or silver)
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:42 PM   #14
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Best price I could find: Staples $299.99 (Plus GST/PST, free delivery, red or silver)
Thanks! SonyStyle.ca is now also offering it at that price. I think that the 505 is still in demand and selling reasonably well, so Sony probably doesn't feel the need to reduce the price by much.

Now that we're getting reports about the screen quality of the 600 being slightly inferior to that of the 505, quite a few people, myself included, might want to grab a 505 before they're all gone.

I'd love to have a 505, but I sort of need the 600 for it's better handling of tech docs/pdf's. Oh what to do, what to do...
Old 08-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #15
frozennorth
Evangelist

Quote:
Wasn't the 505 available at sonystyle.ca (Canadian site) for $279 at one point?
Shoprbc.com in Ottawa was selling it for 279 earlier this year. Now they sell it for 295 + shipping.

Sonystyle Canada has free shipping as Staples does. But at Sonystyle you also get a 25$ coupon on the 505 for free books at their store. They don't offer the coupon on their new models.

I'm still waiting to see the 600. Hopefully Staples, Best Buy or Futureshop will have a display here since there is no Sonystyle store in this city.