Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-26-2013, 12:36 AM   #31
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The default Calibre settings for sending an eBook to the device is to create a subdirectory and put the eBook there. If Calibre is not used to delete the eBook, will Calibre delete these empty subdirectories? If Calibre is used to delete an eBook, does that subdirectory and all associated file(s) get deleted?
No and yes. If you use calibre, it cleans up after itself nicely and will delete the directory if it is empty. That part is pretty device independent. If you use the device to do the delete, I don't think calibre will touch the folder. It definitely won't for the Kobo devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:54 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No and yes. If you use calibre, it cleans up after itself nicely and will delete the directory if it is empty. That part is pretty device independent. If you use the device to do the delete, I don't think calibre will touch the folder. It definitely won't for the Kobo devices.
Can someone put out a patch to clean up these directories if they are empty when Calibre goes to check what's on the device. I do think there are/will be a lot of them left as people use the devices delete function instead of waiting until the device is plugged in and do the deleting in Calibre. Or make a patch that changes the default not to put the eBooks in these subdirectories. That means if anyone is using the default settings for sending to the device, they get changed to the new default options.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:59 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No patch is needed to not put books into folders. If that is your preference, simply change the output path in Calibre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #34
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That isn't what he wants. He wants calibre or the drivers to remove any empty directories from the device. The problem is there is no way to know if calibre/the driver was responsible for the directory in the first place. It might be practical to do it for a driver than scans the devices file system, but for one like the Kobo driver that doesn't, it would add a lot of overhead to do it. I might consider it for a separate plugin, but not as part of the core driver function.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That isn't what he wants. He wants calibre or the drivers to remove any empty directories from the device.
I was referring specifically to the:

Quote:
...Or make a patch that changes the default not to put the eBooks in these subdirectories.
section of Jon's post. That can be done simply by changing the output options. You're right about the "removing empty folders" part, of course - that would be more complex. The moral of the story is perhaps that, if you use Calibre to send books to your device, you should also use it to remove them.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #36
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I was referring specifically to the:
section of Jon's post. That can be done simply by changing the output options.
So he did. I didn't reread his post and had completely forgotten that part. As to what he wants, no thanks. I don't want anything overriding the options I have set. If the driver or device change so the options are no good, tell me so I can fix them.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #37
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
section of Jon's post. That can be done simply by changing the output options.
I don't want anything overriding the options I have set. If the driver or device change so the options are no good, tell me so I can fix them.
I may be confused, but I believe the point is that there is already a user controlled option in the driver to prevent the books from being put into sub-directories in the first place. If that is Jon's desire he should use it.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, that was indeed the point that I was making.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I may be confused, but I believe the point is that there is already a user controlled option in the driver to prevent the books from being put into sub-directories in the first place. If that is Jon's desire he should use it.
The issue is it's the default and many people (myself included) would not know of this right away. I didn't know that the option was to make subdirectories that didn't need to be made. I only found out when I first noticed the subdirectories on my 650. I've since fixed the problem. But I bet a lot don't know and the more they use Calibre to put books on and the device to delete, the more empty directories there are. I can see the device slowing down as it has to check each of them to see if there are books.

Yes it can be changed. But it has to be noticed it's there and what it does. I think a lot of people who do see the options for sending to the device and just leave it alone.

If it wasn't the default, it would not be an issue (IMHO).
Old 01-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #40
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IMHO it would be an issue as people can easily overload root directories. This way, they have to work, to break things
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
IMHO it would be an issue as people can easily overload root directories. This way, they have to work, to break things
Quote:
A FAT32 directory can have 65,536 directory entries. Each file and
subdirectory takes from two to thirteen entries, depending on the
length of its name, so those entries can disappear long before you
think you've used them all up. Your total of 22,657 files could very
easily use 65,000 entries.
So, by having all of these empty dubdirectories, you will be limiting what you can put on your reader as these subdirectories will take two or more directory entries and they'll just sit there unused.