Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
Merlyn_MacLeod
Merlyn_MacLeod has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Featuring Angels?

I've just come off of reading Sharon Shinn's Samaria series, and have already been through Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter angel series. Which basically means I'm desperate for new fantasy/sci-fi books that feature angels.

I tend to pass over the ones featuring a female angel...so I guess that means I prefer alpha-male winged ones. It's fine if they're older titles not yet in ebook. I tend to read both paper and ebook.

Thanks so much for your help.

~Mac
Merlyn_MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlyn_MacLeod View Post
I've just come off of reading Sharon Shinn's Samaria series, and have already been through Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter angel series. Which basically means I'm desperate for new fantasy/sci-fi books that feature angels.

I tend to pass over the ones featuring a female angel...so I guess that means I prefer alpha-male winged ones. It's fine if they're older titles not yet in ebook. I tend to read both paper and ebook.
Well, there's Mercury Falls and Mercury Rises by Robert Kroese if you like a bit of humor with your Angels. Enjoyed the first one and have the second on by TBR pile.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Well, there's Mercury Falls and Mercury Rises by Robert Kroese if you like a bit of humor with your Angels. Enjoyed the first one and have the second on by TBR pile.
I wasn't aware there was a second. Thanks for the heads-up!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool angels

Meljean Brook's Guardians series and also Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files has fallen angels throughout the series as recurring characters.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
aecardenas
Kafkaesque
aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Susan Ee's Angelfalls is a good one that comes to mind. Also, Laini Taylor's The Daughter of Smoke and Bone is a really good one, too.

And there is also a series of "Fallen Angel" (nephillim) books called The Fallen by Tom Sniegoski. I actually havent' read this series, but I remember that it was turned into an ABC Family TV series and, even though it was a little corny, there was one really cool concept that it had: Angels wielding Swords of Flame and dueling. It reminded me of Jedi and their lightsabers. So when the angels prepare to fight, they "draw" these swords of flame from out of nowhere and go at it. I believe that it's in the books, too.

[fixed broken link and cleaned links - please post full, non-affiliate links - moderator]

Last edited by dreams; 06-02-2012 at 11:21 PM. Reason: cleaned links
aecardenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another Urban Fantasy with Angels is Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim series:

Sandman Slim
Kill The Dead
Aloha From Hell

Quote:
Life sucks, and then you die. Or, if you're James Stark, you spend eleven years in Hell as a hitman before finally escaping, only to land back in the hell-on-earth that is Los Angeles.

Now Stark's back, and ready for revenge. And absolution, and maybe even love. But when his first stop saddles him with an abusive talking head, Stark discovers that the road to absolution and revenge is much longer than you'd expect, and both Heaven and Hell have their own ideas for his future.

Resurrection sucks. Saving the world is worse.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I keep thinking of Dr. Who - Blink: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blink_(Doctor_Who)

Last edited by kennyc; 06-02-2012 at 05:03 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Storm Constantine has written loads around the subject. The Grigori trilogy is good, starting with Stalking Tender Prey (http://www.immanion-press.com/info/book.asp?id=242). They are pretty dark fantasy though, so stay away if you don't like that sort of thing. Available at Smashwords, Amazon, Kobo etc.

Andrew

Last edited by andyh2000; 06-02-2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I keep thinking of Dr. Who - Blink: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blink_(Doctor_Who)
There were one or two more episodes featuring the Weeping Angels, one of my favorite Dr Who monsters.

I can't say I recall ever reading any sci-fi or fantasy with angels, per se... Brightness Falls from the Air by James Tiptree Jr had insect-like aliens that were so beautiful characters in the novel compared them to angels. It's probably been twenty years since I've read A Plague of Angels by Sheri S Tepper... I seem to recall some monsters being referred to as "angels", but they were nothing like the angels of Judeo-Christian origin.

(I know, not very helpful).
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Another Urban Fantasy with Angels is Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim series:

Sandman Slim
Kill The Dead
Aloha From Hell
I really enjoyed Sandman Slim. How are the other books?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I really enjoyed Sandman Slim. How are the other books?
Kill The Dead was as good as the first. Haven't read Aloha From Hell yet.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Kill The Dead was as good as the first. Haven't read Aloha From Hell yet.
Thanks. I'm off to Amazon.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #13
Merlyn_MacLeod
Merlyn_MacLeod has learned how to buy an e-book online

Ditto on the thanks! I'm going to check out all these.
Merlyn_MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #14
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I hope you've already read Pratchett & Gaiman's Good Omens. And then, of course, Gaiman has angels as characters throughout The Sandman comics, featuring them heavily in the Season of Mists storyline.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #15
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
MCA Hogarth's A Rosary of Stones and Thornes has angels and archangels and fallen angels, a Jesuit priest and a couple of teenagers. I found it both funny and thought provoking (in a light way) - although she does mention on the cover that "This is not a serious commentary on religion." I enjoyed it quite a bit. Available from Amazon and Smashwords and in paper.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angel, shinn, singh