Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #16
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Nah. Just because they could doesn't mean they do. And if they do (why should they?) it's none of my business.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #17
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
That sounds like they are just scanning them as images, you'd have to do the whole OCR process yourself?
The web site says that the PDFs will have an OCR'd searchable text layer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
If they did a good job, I'd be tempted. Yes I can scan them myself, but my time is worth more than $1 per 200 pages. The risk is that they do a crappy job, with missing or misaligned pages, and the original book is gone.
Let the reports and reviews begin.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #18
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is format shifting, but I'm not sure if it's OK for someone else to do the format shifting for you. I may of course be wrong. Time will tell!
US Case Law is very clear that someone else can't do the format shifting for you. I know it's been 11 years, but have people really forgotten about MP3.com already?
http://www.law.uh.edu/faculty/cjoyce...ase10/UGM.html

This company hasn't got a hope in the courts.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #19
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
US Case Law is very clear that someone else can't do the format shifting for you. I know it's been 11 years, but have people really forgotten about MP3.com already?
http://www.law.uh.edu/faculty/cjoyce...ase10/UGM.html

This company hasn't got a hope in the courts.
I don't think there's any doubt that they will be sued in federal court...and lose.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #20
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenstate View Post
A Japanese Company opened up in the United States and charges $1 each to scan and digitize your paper book. PRO - low cost way to convert your library & now you can view it on you ereader CON - book spine is cut to allow pages to be scanned easily

http://www.forbes.com/sites/booked/2...tner=yahoofeed
The link no longer works ... and looks like copyright issues to me ... someone else getting paid for scanning or converting your books? I don't see any real future on that.

We'll see ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #21
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
The link no longer works ... and looks like copyright issues to me ... someone else getting paid for scanning or converting your books? I don't see any real future on that.

We'll see ...
Try this link, JC: http://news.yahoo.com/japans-largest...164645396.html
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #22
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
That one works! Thanks Tim!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #23
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Cons: PDF.

Pay to have your book destroyed so you can have fun fixing OCR and formatting errors. Um, no.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #24
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Nah. Just because they could doesn't mean they do. And if they do (why should they?) it's none of my business.
because of the way computers work. if they digitize it into memory and then email it to you they still retain a copy in memory. the next time someone sends them the same book they might save themselves the time and just email the copy they made from your book. its not your "business" but it is the business of the copyright holder.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #25
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is format shifting, but I'm not sure if it's OK for someone else to do the format shifting for you.
Does it really matter?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Does it really matter?
I don't think it matters in the slightest, no, but it's the opinion of the courts that counts, not mine. Just saying that it wouldn't surprise me in the least if that's where it ended up.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #27
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
if they digitize it into memory and then email it to you they still retain a copy in memory.
Until they delete it, yes. The web proxy probably holds a copy for some time, too. Any sane copyright legislation takes that into account and dismisses it instantly.

Quote:
... the next time someone sends them the same book they might save themselves the time and just email the copy they made from your book.
I'm perfectly happy to draw the line at that.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #28
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I'm not quite understanding why mp3.com's sonic appropriation service is comparable to the digital equivalent of a store that makes copies. Wouldn't the crime consist of distribution rather than the one file transfer?

Obviously, the service would be tragic for, say, my editions of the complete works of Thomas Lovell Beddoes, which were published in 1860 (I believe) and only eight hundred of which were printed worldwide. It would not be tragic for my old paperback copy of Ficciones, by Jorge Luis Borges, who, for some skull-pretzeling reason, has yet to be ePub'd, mobi'd or PDFed in English translation, for the love of Graucho Yerba Mathias.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #29
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Until they delete it, yes. The web proxy probably holds a copy for some time, too. Any sane copyright legislation takes that into account and dismisses it instantly.

I'm perfectly happy to draw the line at that.
id like to see them only save it to some removable storage like a thumb drive or sd card. then they could mail that to you and they would never have a copy of their own to keep.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #30
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
They're creating a copy of a work and then selling that copy back to you. That's the central issue that puts them in violation of copyright, no matter how it gets dressed-up.

You'll note that the judge made a special note in the MP3.com case that there was no debate about the commercial nature of their operation. When you buy a personal copy of something there are all sorts of things you, personally, can do with it, but the only people allowed to make money off a copyrighted work are the copyright holders.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote