Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-05-2007, 04:53 PM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
No more do I, yvanleterrible, but these jokers have a apparently managed it.

Picked up "great googley moogley" from a sound byte in the radio, dunno where it came from before that.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:16 PM   #17
exvaxman
Connoisseur
exvaxman began at the beginning.

The name is actually Purdue

Perdue is the chicken guy. Purdue is the big ten school that puts out the largest amount of alcoholics because West Lafayette is so boring. Or it was in my era - had a ball at grad school in Florida though.
exvaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:48 PM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, exvaxman -- my spelling is notorious around here. I was focusing so much on getting the end of the name spelled correctly that I missed that I had the beginning wrong. I've gone back and changed it, thanks to your pointing out the error.

I hereby formally apologize to any I may have accidentally offended by my error, and affirm that it was only that, and nothing deliberate.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:34 PM   #19
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Great Googely Moogely was as exclamation on 'Yellow Snow' wasn't it?

BTTT I still don't understand how eink could be made transparent!
Actually I think the ink is more useful when it is opaque -- except for secret writing, of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Picked up "great googley moogley" from a sound byte in the radio, dunno where it came from before that.
Bruce Willis used to say it on that detective TV show, "Moonlighting" 1985-1989. I can still hear his voice . . .
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:50 PM   #20
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'm pretty sure it's not transparent "e ink", it's transparent "e paper." I'm not sure what that means, exactly, but probably not little cells full of black and white charged particles.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:27 AM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist

Right, true, but what happens to the ink when it's not black? That's the question!
Old 07-06-2007, 06:27 AM   #22
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Quote:
Frank!?! I love that guy's music. Vai's taken over you can still feel Frank's presence in his music. That must be from the years he put in with the 'Mothers'.
He kinda drifted away from it, though, during the years. The Ultra Zone was the last truly Zappaish album...

Quote:
Great Googely Moogely was as exclamation on 'Yellow Snow' wasn't it?
Close
It's from Nanook Rubs It (which follows Don't Eat The Yellow Snow on Apostrophe').

Quote:
BTTT I still don't understand how eink could be made transparent!
It' can't be. Not the E Ink e-ink, anyway. The article only mentions transparent electrodes and transistors and says it could be applied to LCD's, e-ink displays etc., not the actual display matrix.

Cholesteric Bistable LCD's could, OTOH, work with this. Another thing that could work with transparency would be an e-ink display consisting of little bipolar, thin plates (instead of spheres or grains) so when you rotate them parallel to the plane of display, they block the light, while rotating them perpendicular to it let's the light pass through. That would probably be quite slow, though (friction!).

Quote:
Right, true, but what happens to the ink when it's not black? That's the question!
It's white. I.e. opaque. And if you were to replace the capsules with the white pigment with transparent capsules, you wouldn't do jack, because you could still see the black ones through them.
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:52 AM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist

I don't believe we actually know their "ink's" mechanism, so it could be ChoLCD (which I think they've gotten to pretty quick response times, but it's been a while since I looked at them).

Yeah, they are only talking about having made the electrodes and wires transparent (or at least not visible), but if they couldn't make the inking agent similarly transparent, it would make a really crummy addition to a car's windshield, for instance, which was one of their own examples. So I'm thinking they probably have "ink" that vanishes too.

I could be wrong, now, but I don't think so. (That one's for my fellow Monk fans out there)
Old 07-06-2007, 09:14 AM   #24
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by exvaxman View Post
Perdue is the chicken guy. Purdue is the big ten school that puts out the largest amount of alcoholics because West Lafayette is so boring. Or it was in my era - had a ball at grad school in Florida though.
Perdue in French means 'lost', in the feminine gender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcinus View Post
He kinda drifted away from it, though, during the years. The Ultra Zone was the last truly Zappaish album...

Close

Yes as to the the multiple instrument layers but the actual ways of composing are still there. And some riffs survived.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #25
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Quote:
Yeah, they are only talking about having made the electrodes and wires transparent (or at least not visible), but if they couldn't make the inking agent similarly transparent, it would make a really crummy addition to a car's windshield, for instance, which was one of their own examples. So I'm thinking they probably have "ink" that vanishes too.
As long as it has to go from transparent to opaque, the only sound way to do it (AFAIK) is polarization, and that means liquid crystals, i.e. ChLCD/BCD.

Quote:
I could be wrong, now, but I don't think so. (That one's for my fellow Monk fans out there)
LOL... coincidentally, i've been watching Monk yesterday night.

Quote:
Yes as to the the multiple instrument layers but the actual ways of composing are still there. And some riffs survived.
A lot of Zappa is in the unique and complicated syncopated rhythms (see, for example, Frank and Lucky Charms from The Ultra Zone) and he seems to have lost that along the way
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:44 PM   #26
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcinus View Post
As long as it has to go from transparent to opaque, the only sound way to do it (AFAIK) is polarization, and that means liquid crystals, i.e. ChLCD/BCD.
I don't know of anything else that'll do it either, orcinus, but I'd sure like to know what they're using for sure, just in case it is something new.