Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #796
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
Are you using a cover that has a pocket? Or a case? It really sounds like the bug that plagued Glo users earlier this year. If that is the case, don't despair! Just try putting it into sleep mode and waiting before closing the cover/putting it into its case.
I am using the official Kobo Aura sleep cover. I didn't realize there might be an issue with this!

However, because I also have issues like intermittent glow light flicker and frequent two-page turns, the unit is probably going back as folks here say glow light flicker isn't normal. Waiting to hear from their *Tier 2* unit now. Meanwhile, I'll give what you suggested a try, thanks!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #797
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Vox
Mine was fully charge at the start of the week, quickly go down for around 10% each day.
Yesterday (less than 24 hours ago) it was at 60%, now it is too low to start...

Frankly, except the great screen resolution, it's a standard ereader, and it's not worth the price.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #798
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
Mine was fully charge at the start of the week, quickly go down for around 10% each day.

Frankly, except the great screen resolution, it's a standard ereader, and it's not worth the price.
My verdict exactly
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #799
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
Quote:

What are your sleep and power off settings.

Mine are sleep after 5, glo off after 5, and never power off and mine shows 92% and the last charge was Monday or Tuesday.

Larry
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #800
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymohr View Post
What are your sleep and power off settings.

Mine are sleep after 5, glo off after 5, and never power off and mine shows 92% and the last charge was Monday or Tuesday.

Larry
Default I imagine, but even than. I used it 2 times for 10 sec just to see the battery life...
Advert
Old 05-18-2013, 12:17 AM   #801
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur
Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: CybkG3; iPads; Kindle PW2, Fire; NookGlow; KoboGlo, Aura HD, Aura One;
Quote:
Default I imagine, but even than. I used it 2 times for 10 sec just to see the battery life...
But... what are your power settings? If you're disappointed about the apparent (lack of) battery life, and are coming to conclusions about the device based on that, wouldn't you want to consider the settings as part of that basis?
Mikeyboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #802
spikexp
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyboards View Post
But... what are your power settings? If you're disappointed about the apparent (lack of) battery life, and are coming to conclusions about the device based on that, wouldn't you want to consider the settings as part of that basis?
It's set to never power off and to sleep after 15 minutes.
Even then, an untouched ereader shouldn't drain away like that.

It's a problem I have with it, it is most probably faulty in a way, but it is not the source of my disappointment.
My disappointment come from the lack of greatness for the price.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #803
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
What "greatness" did you expect?

- It is bigger than the Kobo Glo.
- It has higher dpi.
- It has a better front light.

It's positioned above the Glo, and therefore more expensive.

There have been ereaders with less improvements compared to their predecessors.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #804
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
Quote:
It's set to never power off and to sleep after 15 minutes.
Even then, an untouched ereader shouldn't drain away like that.

It's a problem I have with it, it is most probably faulty in a way, but it is not the source of my disappointment.
My disappointment come from the lack of greatness for the price.
I would suggest that you try a sleep setting of 5 minutes and see how the battery life seems.

You have to remember, if you were to read for 10 minutes, 5 times a day, you would have read for only 50 minutes.

However, if you did not get back to the reader before it went to sleep, the reader would have been powered up for 250 minutes or over 2 hours. If the light is on, that is a lot more usage that you would expect with the amount you had read.

I ran my Aura with NO power off, NO sleep and Lite at 50% for 12 hours last night and it only used 10% of a charge.
I am running the Lite at 100% right now and it is discharging a lot faster so the brightness setting has a big effect!

Larry
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:35 AM   #805
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
What "greatness" did you expect?

- It is bigger than the Kobo Glo.
- It has higher dpi.
- It has a better front light.

It's positioned above the Glo, and therefore more expensive.

There have been ereaders with less improvements compared to their predecessors.
It is better in overall size, which is not necessarily an advantage
The display real estate is bigger BUT not used properly.
It is heavier, and thicker.
It has a weird, weird back.
The Light is as good as the second series of Glo.

So globally, it only comes to : it has a bigger dpi.

Nope, that is not worth the $.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #806
riedje
riedje began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-650, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Considering that the primary use of an e-reader would be to .. read, I'd say this is a pretty important feature.

I for one do like the resolution and dpi and so far it's head and shoulders above any other e-reader or tablet I've used in the past. To be fair, my opinion is based on how much using the device mimics a "real book experience" and so far it's holding up quite nicely.
riedje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #807
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by riedje View Post
Considering that the primary use of an e-reader would be to .. read, I'd say this is a pretty important feature.

I for one do like the resolution and dpi and so far it's head and shoulders above any other e-reader or tablet I've used in the past. To be fair, my opinion is based on how much using the device mimics a "real book experience" and so far it's holding up quite nicely.
I agree for the most part. I do like an ereader to go beyond the "dead trees" experience. I have "old" eyes, so the ability to chose different fonts, change the font size to a more readable size, and, most important, illuminate the page to help me see the text. All of this is done with excellent resolution.

I am well pleased with the Aura's performance in the things I need/expect in an ereader.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #808
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
It is better in overall size, which is not necessarily an advantage
The display real estate is bigger BUT not used properly.
It is heavier, and thicker.
It has a weird, weird back.
The Light is as good as the second series of Glo.

Nope, that is not worth the $.
We could argue all day long about personal preferences. For example, I like the bigger size as it allows me to see more books in my library all at once and in larger size. While it doesn't use the extra space 100% efficiently I still get more lines than with my previous reader. While there is a weight difference, it's almost indistinguishable. I really like the back. The light is better than most people's Glos.
All that for an extra $40? dollars. See? All points refuted.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #809
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I'm beginning to think that if the aura was called the Kindle hd the detractors would be fawning over it.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #810
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post
I'm beginning to think that if the aura was called the Kindle hd the detractors would be fawning over it.
Of course! And you know one will be released this fall. I keep telling myself not to buy it. hehe.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote