Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-29-2008, 06:12 AM   #61
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spellbot 5000 View Post
Any grocery store within 100 miles of where I live carries DVD players, and they carry the cheap models that the mass-market buys. And $30 is on the high side for some stores, which give them away for free with another larger purchase.
It is the same in Sweden that they are sold in grocery stores. But the price is a bit higher.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #62
chrissy
Enthusiast
chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chrissy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700
The price drop combined with the looming threat of sales tax being added to my purchase (I live in New York) made me finally pull the trigger on ordering a Kindle. It's arriving today; I can't wait!
chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #63
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Christmas shopping season only 5 months away, order several for friends and loved ones
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #64
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spellbot 5000 View Post
I live in Vancouver.
Oh, Canadian dollars! Now you are talking about real money.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #65
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Oh, Canadian dollars! Now you are talking about real money.
Yes, the Canadian $ is worth more than the US $ for the first time in what, forever? Still $1CAD = $1.01US. So if one is "real" so is the other.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #66
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Thank you for setting me straight on that, BOb.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #67
Spellbot 5000
Connoisseur
Spellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, the Canadian $ is worth more than the US $ for the first time in what, forever? Still $1CAD = $1.01US. So if one is "real" so is the other.

BOb
I think the last time it was at parity was in the mid 70's.
Spellbot 5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #68
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur
Lov2Read is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader 505
No discount here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidknytOwl View Post
I put it in my shopping cart and I don't get a discount. What gives?
Me either. Still selling at $299.00 as far as I can tell.
Lov2Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:18 PM   #69
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Perhaps 1 Day only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lov2Read View Post
Me either. Still selling at $299.00 as far as I can tell.
I just tried again and did not receive that promotion again. Was it a coincidence that it was the same day Amazon lowered the price on the Kindle????
I did not order the item, just placed it in cart to calculate shipping and taxes, and the promotional discount was there. Today, it is not.
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:57 PM   #70
MidknytOwl
Zealot
MidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura
Well, I called Sony because I more or less decided on buying it all of yesterday and wanted to know what happened.

Officially it was a Memorial Day promotion and it was a glitch that it carried past Monday.

Seems now I'm a day late and a dollar short.

Do you think they'll have another one for Father's Day? I'm so depressed...
MidknytOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:13 AM   #71
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:43 AM   #72
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
while I am sure this is just the natural market adjustment because Sony dropped the price earlier this year, I wonder if something else is afoot. The rumor about Spint's EVDO is they are changing their unlimited service option to a 5gb/mo cap. Not wanting to discuss the merits of that but rather perhaps this is a prelude to ending the beta on web browsing via the Kindle due to changes in how Sprint is operating since their WiMax/Xhom announcement a month or so ago.

Much of the value in the Kindle price is the web access, at the very least the access to the site, book delivery, and Wikipedia access. If something changes in that area I would not think there is much to set the Kindle apart from the Sony 505. At least not enough to justify the price difference.

Hope that is just my tin foil hat failing and needing replacement.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #73
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If you have a US address and Credit Card you will still be able to buy and download the Kindle books to your PC and move them to your Kindle with the USB connection.... if you were so inclined.

BOb
I was thinking more about the convenience of newspaper deliver and web access (specifically wikipedia). It's kind of a letdown if I have to go to the computer for that stuff anyway. I guess I'll wait a little longer to see if any new devices promise to entice me more than Amazon and deserve to be my next ebook reader. Maybe the price on the Kindle will drop a little more in the meantime.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote