Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
Calybrid
Calybrid began at the beginning.

Device: prs 600
PRS 600 Crashes computer

I just bought a sony prs touch.

When i plugged it in, it auto-ran the installation for the software. The software ran, but the minute i tried to make any changes in the software to my device, i got the bluescreen of death.

Now, the minute i plug my device into the computer, my computer goes to bluescreen. I have tried all three usb ports on this computer, as well as two other machines running different operating systems. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the sofware. I have tried looking for software updates on the sony website. I have downloaded Calibre, and attempted to use that software instead. I cannot, because as soon as i plug in the device, my computer crashes.

Help!
Calybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I have no idea what the problem is but.......... I would uninstall all software related to it (Sony and Calibre and Adobe) then reboot.

I would then plug the reader in and see what happens. I would wager it would not crash. After that I would try to drag/drop or copy/paste a book onto the reader, and see if it works. Then I would install Calibre. I would not install the Sony software. ..... I wish you well my friend.................
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
Calybrid
Calybrid began at the beginning.

Device: prs 600
Tried that. It works better now that the sony reader software isnt in the way. I'm running into new troubles now. Trying to get books. I can't get them from the sony store without the sony software. I can't get them from barnes and noble, because i cant figure out how to remove the DRM that's attached. I can't get them from amazon either. Not having any luck, and getting more and more frustrated. Someone included a link to a software called pycrypto and python for removing DRM, but i can't get the program to work, and i don't understand what it is enough to fix it.

Getting very frustrated. I just want to read a book.
Calybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:17 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, calybird,.

You might want to participate in this poll.........tell us your thoughts.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=68302&page=4

Last edited by desertgrandma; 01-10-2010 at 12:18 AM. Reason: forgot linky
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
It might help if you tell us what your setup is... computer, OS version etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calybrid View Post
I just bought a sony prs touch.

When i plugged it in, it auto-ran the installation for the software. The software ran, but the minute i tried to make any changes in the software to my device, i got the bluescreen of death.

Now, the minute i plug my device into the computer, my computer goes to bluescreen. I have tried all three usb ports on this computer, as well as two other machines running different operating systems. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the sofware. I have tried looking for software updates on the sony website. I have downloaded Calibre, and attempted to use that software instead. I cannot, because as soon as i plug in the device, my computer crashes.

Help!
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Calibre NOT compatible??

Personally, I would uninstall Calibre, remove all Calibre folders and use Regedit to remove all references to Calibre in the software sections of the Registry.

Then unregister your Sony eReader from the Sony store.

Then do the same with Sony's Desktop reader.

Then ONLY do a clean install of Sony Desktop Reader 3.1 and get an ID and password from the Adobe site. You will need the latter to properly install your Sony eReader and register it at the Sony store.

After all of this open the Sony Desktop Reader 3.1 and only then plug in your eReader from Sony.

Sony is developed ONLY for Sony. They make no provisions for Calibre compatibility.

Last edited by sirmaru; 01-10-2010 at 10:22 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Calibre NOT compatible??
Sony is developed ONLY for Sony. They make no provisions for Calibre compatibility.
Except that according to the OP the blue screen came after installng the Sony software from the PRS-600, not from Calibre. It wouldn't hurt to completely uninstall everything associated with the ebook reader (including the Sony software). I would also be concerned with what the Sony software has left behind in the registry and remove that as well.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote