Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
ferrari28
ferrari28 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Is Web Browsing Free?

Hey I just got my kindle today and was wondering if web browsing was free. I am also curious as to how i can subscribe to blogs on my kindle for free such as www.joystiq.com. I live in Canada btw if that affects any of these answers.
ferrari28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, ferrarri.

I"m not familiar with the blogs available in Canada, perhaps CS could help?

enjoy.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari28 View Post
Hey I just got my kindle today and was wondering if web browsing was free. I am also curious as to how i can subscribe to blogs on my kindle for free such as www.joystiq.com. I live in Canada btw if that affects any of these answers.
The blog has an RSS feed, so you can use Calibre to create a "subscription" for you. I suggest you use your @free.kindle.com address to have the subscription emailed to you every morning then you can transfer it to your Kindle with the USB Cable.

Attached is a copy of a blog I subscribe to with Calibre.
Attached Files
File Type: prc iReader Review [Wed, 23 Dec 2009].mobi.prc (182.0 KB, 252 views)
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Web browsing is free ... for now. It stands to reason that if it starts costing Amazon too much they may cut it off. They have "guaranteed" that only access to Wikipedia is free for "ever". The browser is very basic and cannot open many sites if they use to many client side additions.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:12 AM   #5
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
The blog has an RSS feed, so you can use Calibre to create a "subscription" for you. I suggest you use your @free.kindle.com address to have the subscription emailed to you every morning then you can transfer it to your Kindle with the USB Cable.

Attached is a copy of a blog I subscribe to with Calibre.
Why would you have it sent to your free Kindle address when you could just load the copy saved on your hard drive? Seems like a useless extra step to download the file you already have unless you're away from home.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 12:24 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Why would you have it sent to your free Kindle address when you could just load the copy saved on your hard drive? Seems like a useless extra step to download the file you already have unless you're away from home.
You're right, it's not really necessary for most people.

I download subscriptions at midnight on my desktop and pick it up from my Gmail account on my laptop when I'm not home. I also prefer to keep them saved in a Gmail folder (accessible anywhere) and I clear them out once a week from Calibre so it's not so cluttered.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote