Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
james.teck
james.teck began at the beginning.

Device: none
travel guide recommendations

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone has good easy-to-read travel guides to recommend?

Could only think of Lonely Planet guides. Are there any other guides that you guys would recommend?

Thanks!!
james.teck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Lonely Planet

When I last traveled I went with Lonely Planet I liked the way it was organized best. However if you are not on a budget it may not be the best one, as it focuses on budget stuff, if you have money to spend another one might be better.

Check out the travel section at your local bookstore is my suggestion. Flip through the books and see which one you like, as they are all organzied slightly differently.

Oh and while you are traveling keep an eye out for the local Mormon missionaries! (I play it like where's Waldo).

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Where are you traveling to? I mostly use Fodor for basic information then an on-line Forum (http://www.virtualtourist.com/)for questions and details
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
You can buy pdf's the Lonely Planet here.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:11 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
My wife's favourite is DK Eyewitness Travel Guide.
For example: Venice and the Veneto (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)

One of the tings I liked about it is a map with good itineraries and explanations of what you see along the red, blue, green or any other path they advise you on. Including nice pubs etc.

Last edited by astra; 12-04-2009 at 07:13 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
TrolleyGirl
TrolleyGirl began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
I just used your link to look up the DK travel guides. I noticed they are available in 3 formats, hardback, paperback & turtleback. I've never heard of turtleback. What is that?

Thanks.
TrolleyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrolleyGirl View Post
I just used your link to look up the DK travel guides. I noticed they are available in 3 formats, hardback, paperback & turtleback. I've never heard of turtleback. What is that?

Thanks.
No idea
I don't remember which version we buy. Most likely hardback.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
A turtleback is a hardback that is intended for libraries. As in extra strong binding to withstand the rough handling library books get.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
A turtleback is a hardback that is intended for libraries. As in extra strong binding to withstand the rough handling library books get.
Thank you for that. Whatever else happens today, it can never go down as a total waste, for today I have learned something!

WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote